Pre-emptive Lift Pump Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dellaone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24 Valve 5.9L
My father-in-law passed away recently, leaving us a 2002 Ram 2500 with a CTD. It has been used very little over the last 5 years (my brother-in-law and I use it about 8 times a year for light towing). Total mileage is just under 67,000 and now it's coming up on 14 years old. Runs great, but after doing some reading on the forums, just wondering if I should just go ahead and replace the lift pump now, before it bites me. I was thinking of the Glacier lift pump, P/N 4943048, as a replacement. This truck is totally stock, and my father-in-law always had it serviced on time by a reputable local Dodge dealer. Not planning on any future mods for extra power, etc, just want to keep the VP44 happy. Thanks for any advice.

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes!
If it's the only thing you do, get a good lift pump and a fuel pressure gauge.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
no comment on the glacier pump, never used it. i went with the raptor pump and it was great. double check to see if the truck has the block mounted lift pump or the updated in tank pump. if you have the in tank pump, you may need a new fuel basket or modify yours. one thing i see on the glacier pump is that it allows fuel to be pulled though the pump even when it fails. thats a good way to kill the vp44.

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Agreed... Glacier Diesel makes great products!

The Glacier pump is mechanical versus the electric lift pump from Fass/Airdog or the like. They do the same job, so that is solely a preference. I would add some sort of extra filtration/fuel water seperation as well... along the lines of the Glacier FW1220-TFK Glacier Diesel Power - Product Detail

Even with a stock truck, these will do your truck very well

OP
OP
D

dellaone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24 Valve 5.9L
As it turns out, after I installed a simple pressure switch / warning light system from EDP, and after bleeding, the light is staying on. I don't know how long it has run this way, and the new lift pump is still on it's way (last weeks storms slowed UPS down, I guess). The bad part is that the existing lift pump still runs and flows fuel, and the truck still starts normally, but now I know it has insufficient pressure. I guess I will find out how long a VP44 will last after this. The truck and I have patiently been sitting idle waiting for the new lift pump to appear. Should be Thursday.

mjd91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a real gauge.
You need to know what it's at at idle and WOT.
A low pressure light won't tell you that.

I have a digital AEM if you're interested.
(And no I'm not just telling you to get a gauge because I'm trying to sell you one lol)

OP
OP
D

dellaone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24 Valve 5.9L
Thinking this through, I realize too much pressure is not good either, but ultimately don't I really just need to know if I have enough pressure at WOT? So instead of a 5 psi switch, a 7 or a 10? ( I realize minimum pressure seems to be a subjective thing). I only say this because a red light is going to get my attention sooner than focusing on a pressure reading. It's just me. Yes, I scan the gas gauge and the oil pressure gauge, but honestly, I want to keep my eyes on the road, and not checking on whether my fuel pressure is a pound low.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the isspro electrical fuel pressure gauge has a built in red light for when the pressure drops too low. your lift pump could be completely shot, and the truck will still run. the vp44 will suck fuel from the tank, almost acting as a lift pump. thats what destroys the diaphragm inside the pump and kills it. this is the issue with vp trucks.

minimum pressure is not a subjective thing. you need a minimum of 10 psi at the vp at all times! youll need to drive the truck around to get the pressure dialed in correctly, a couple of WOT runs and youll need a proper gauge to verify this. a light on its own wont help. fwiw, on my basically stock 98.5 with the raptor frame mounted pump, i had the pressure set around 20 psi at idle. if you want to prolong the life of the vp44, youll need a pressure gauge and youll need to keep an eye on it. if your going to do one mod to your truck, thats the one to do.

OP
OP
D

dellaone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24 Valve 5.9L
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Not knowing how long this particular VP44 has been living with low pressure, I guess I will wait until the other shoe drops and save my money in the meantime for replacement pumps and fuel pressure indication solution.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Not knowing how long this particular VP44 has been living with low pressure, I guess I will wait until the other shoe drops and save my money in the meantime for replacement pumps and fuel pressure indication solution.

people have gotten a lot of miles out of their vp after the lift pump has failed and the truck was run with low pressure. some have the vp fail shortly after. its all purely luck. the vp44 isnt cheap. i would swap that lift pump out asap and hope for the best on the vp44.

OP
OP
D

dellaone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 24 Valve 5.9L
I got the new lift pump in today. I had to crack several injector b-nuts to get it bled, but it eventually started (this included the filter replacement). I took it for a short drive to get the coolant temp up (10 miles) and it ran fine. The fuel pressure warning light was slow to go out, (5 seconds at first) but has gradually been quicker to go out as time goes on, which I ascribe to a "slow" switch (gummed up inside). Like DannyMK2 said, the VP44 will either live or die. I can't really complain; this truck dropped in my lap. Thanks to all.