Replacing Harmonic Damper ?'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MegaCab1Ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I noticed a bad wobble in the crank pulley (and eating belt tensioners) and after some research learned about the need to inspect/replace the harmonic damper. Mine indeed needed replaced so I ordered one from ATI (#917374 from Summit)

I bought this truck used so I don't know a lot of the background on it and to be honest, this is the first diesel I've ever worked on so please bear with me... Truck is a 2006 MegaCab 3500 with the Cummins 5.9. I noticed it has a tone ring which I didn't think were used on this year.

1. Is the tone ring original to this year truck?
2. I'm assuming that I can simply remove the old harmonic damper and replace with the new and that the tone ring can be inserted just like it was before. Do I need to worry about keeping it indexed like it came off or is that a non-issue? Is there a dowl pin for the tone ring? (I'm thinking not but want to be sure.)

This seems like a pretty simple swap except for the fact the ATI damper requires a Torx T45 Plus bit for assembly (IT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO KNOW THIS IN ADVANCE). I think I own just about every tool possible mechanic's tool under the sun except a T45 Plus torx bit! A regular T45 is quite loose in the bolt head so I'm not taking any chances on striping one of these out and ordering the right tool for the job. So much for getting this wrapped up tomorrow...such is life.

Thanks in advance for advice on my questions!

OP
OP
MegaCab1Ton

MegaCab1Ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Well, since there is no response to my questions, I guess I will just have to dig in and see what I find...

OP
OP
MegaCab1Ton

MegaCab1Ton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Not a fun job but it is done. The ATI damper has to be installed in two pieces. The first was no problem but the second I didn't think was going to fit without removing the fan but after thinking about it, I got brave and put a little pressure on it and it finally popped in. The next challenge was getting the outter ring indexed to match the inner Ithe bolt pattern that holds both pieces together only works in spot and it was difficult to see if they were lining up. I ended up getting a stubby phillips screw driver and used it to help locate the holes.

One word of caution, the ATI requires a special Torx T-45 PLUS bit. I had to order one from Mac as my normal T-45 was too loose and would have stripped out.

Installed the new belt and the new tensioner and everything is lined up good and no more wobble in the crank pulley.

Total job took me and my son about 6 hours but we had several interruptions and we also changed the oil (and couldn't get the oil filter off which we had to fight for about 45 minutes).

Oh yeah. I almost forgot. There is a tone ring on my truck however when I took the damper off, it stayed on the snout of the crank so all I did is bolt up the new damper hub. The ATI hub had dowel pin holes in it so it popped right on over the tone ring.

Reactions: CKH

quadcab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
That is a nice harmonic balancer. We use the ati 2 peice at work on almost all of our supercharged applications. They are holding up to 1000+hp very well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk