Think you got problem's ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WV Cummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
So I wake up this morning and my buddy is blowin my phone up call,text etc.So I answered he said man you got to come fix my truck it blew up!!!He was flippin out.Said he heard BOOM then white smoke stated pouring out.So I said ok I will be down and don't start the truck.I thought all probley just blew a intercooler boot something small.

So I get there pop the hood,grabbed all of the boots and they seemed ok.So started pulling his air filter off and he say "man I hope it's my turbo" so I get the clamps loose and pull the intake and with even looking down I seen this sitting on the edge of the turbo inlet
46d8b4d3.jpg

I looked at him and just started I said buddy mamma is going to be mad now
35215cdc.jpg

So I walk back and look at his tips he has duels and I find this
9043a526.jpg

90f263b0.jpg

So after that he told me what happend.Said somone pulled out in front of him so he got all pissy and mashed on it and that is when it went boom
Poor boy just got out of school like a week ago,no job,still at home.But he has had this truck for a year and has yet to change the AD filters.Done went threw a trans mommy paid for a new one 7k.I have preached to him so much about doing maintenance and it goes in one ear and out the other,I have even offed him filters for the AD but to dam lazy to change em.

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Is that your valve cOver or does he have one too?

That's a shame

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Also now you got to test the compression or pop the head off to check to see how much of the turbo debris now scored up the cylinder walls.

Might be more damage from the lost of boost and EGT's going through the roof.

If it was me I would pull the entire engine out and start over from a bare block.

Sorry for his misfortune...

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
So bare with me as I don't know much about turbos or diesel period. What's the piece that you're holding in your hand?

OP
OP
W

WV Cummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Also now you got to test the compression or pop the head off to check to see how much of the turbo debris now scored up the cylinder walls.

Might be more damage from the lost of boost and EGT's going through the roof.

If it was me I would pull the entire engine out and start over from a bare block.

Sorry for his misfortune...

Plan is to pull the intake side and see if any metal is laying around in there.If there is then we will go from there.Yes if it was mine I would pull the head,but it's not.
So bare with me as I don't know much about turbos or diesel period. What's the piece that you're holding in your hand?
That is part of that shaft that the turbo fan/blade sits on.

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
You all might want to take notice to the boost elbow and how its capped off... (Is the wastegate even hooked up?!)

35215cdc.jpg

Wastegate is part of the turbo to prevent the turbo from get over RPM rated speeds. I think he just found it being the wastegate is unhooked...

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Give your buddy my number , he will save money ..

But ya that sucks

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
So how would prevent something like this?

Very simple leave the wastegate hooked up and never run a turbo beyond its designed limits. Most likely he was looking for more boost and unhooked the wastegate to build more boost pressure over R'ed the turbo and it went BOOM!

But still I highly suggest a full tear down of the engine. I just talked with a buddy on the phone and he even highly suggest pulling the head because of the fact there is going to be aluminium jammed in the valve seats, in the cylinders, etc. Because all that compressor wheel was ground up and pass thru the engine.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Damn...makes me NOT wanna go over 10lbs of boost.

Hope everything works out for your buddy...lets hope nothing went internal.