Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel Forum > 5.9 Common Rail

5.9 Common Rail

Transmission Problem

This is a discussion on Transmission Problem within the 5.9 Common Rail forums, part of the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel Forum category!
Im new here so hopefully im in the right forum. My 2006 ram 2500 diesel with automatic tranny feels like ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2006
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Default Transmission Problem
Im new here so hopefully im in the right forum. My 2006 ram 2500 diesel with automatic tranny feels like its slipping going from 1st to 2nd gear. Even when i manually shift it. It has 109,000 miles on it and tranny has never been serviced. Ive heard MANY stories of changing screen/filter and fluid on trannys with that many miles with no previous service and they didnt work when put back together. Is there any truth to that and is it just a chance i have to take?
Thanks

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
dwb1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Administrator

Name: Wendy

Ram Year: 2008
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Send a message via Yahoo to bigbadram1500
Welcome to the forum.

I'm a gasser so I don't know much about diesels, but I popped this over to the diesel section, so our diesel owners can help ya out.

bigbadram1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2007
Engine: diesel
Changing fluid and filter won't harm anything, unless the filter is installed incorrectly. Check the service interval in your owners manual. It likely should have been done by now. What causes the problems you heard of is when folks get talked into a "transmission flush" using a flushing machine. Those things break loose any crud that's accumulated and quite often end up plugging a port in the valve body.
Check for low fluid level. Correct it if it's low. If it's okay, fluid and filter change along with a band adjustment is probably all it needs. FYI, use fluid that meets the specs in your manual.

Stu
chickenman_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Scott

Ram Year: 2007
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
You would be ok with changing the filter. I would not completly flush the trans, just replace the fluid that comes out when you drop the pan.

I would agree, check your fluid. Make sure the truck is running and the trans is up to operating temp. Throw the truck in neutral and put the E-brake on. Then you can check the level.

If you are low or when you drop the pan, I would only recommend using the ATF+4 from the dealership or Valvoline brand.

There are some shift solenoids or something along those lines that you can change while you have the pan off. Hopefully Schroeder or one of the other guys will get on here and let you know exactly, cause I am goin blank on them at the moment.

And BTW, welcome to the Forum!

USMC1188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2006
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Thanks for the info guys!
dwb1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2005
Engine: 5.9
Default Tranny problem
Hi I'm new this to I also am having problem I have a super chip on my with code reader wen I read code it says ecm/pcm controls sensor would this make the tranny slip on 2005 dodge cummins 5.9 with super chip cold air intake and 5 mbrp turbo back any help would be greatly appreciated
Wvcoalminer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.9 transmission slipping, dodge diesel transmission, ram tranny slipping, servicing diesel tranny