Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel Forum > 5.9 Common Rail

5.9 Common Rail

What caused this damage

This is a discussion on What caused this damage within the 5.9 Common Rail forums, part of the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel Forum category!
I'm not so sure on the melting because the cylinder wall is beat to gel it has deep craters and ...

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2005
Engine: 5.9L HO Cummins
I'm not so sure on the melting because the cylinder wall is beat to gel it has deep craters and if you look at the picture with all the yellow markings the one line at the top of the cylinder it's like is the piston come up to TDC and was getting forced sideways. And then there's all the chunks of the ring in the oil pan I think those marks on the Pistons were from the rings getting beat out of it

Sent by me

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
dmuney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: 5.7 HEMI
Looks to me like the piston got hot enough that the skirt got brittle. Caused by the detonation seen on the top of the piston (?). That type of temperature would also cause local lubrication failure which would likely cause the ring failure which also contributed to the damage. The dog started chasing it's own tail.
dmuney likes this.
sbarron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Originally Posted by sbarron View Post
Looks to me like the piston got hot enough that the skirt got brittle. Caused by the detonation seen on the top of the piston (?). That type of temperature would also cause local lubrication failure which would likely cause the ring failure which also contributed to the damage. The dog started chasing it's own tail.

Describe the detonation on the piston so I can understand what you see if you would please

Sent by me
Old 03-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Originally Posted by SilverStreak88 View Post
When you run a tuner you are able to go back stock on most tuners so they could have set it back, but if they didn't and they didn't provide the tuner to you then you'll need a re-flash from the dealer.

Anyway for me to find out if there's a tune in it ? I am an experienced auto & diesel Technition just new to the common rail

Sent by me
Old 03-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2007
Engine: 5.7 Eco Boost
Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
Anyway for me to find out if there's a tune in it ? I am an experienced auto & diesel Technition just new to the common rail

Sent by me
Another tuner or dealer, if you hook up a Smarty, it'll tell you that foreign software was detected.
dmuney likes this.
SilverStreak88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Originally Posted by dmuney View Post

I ask because before I change the piston it ran basically on five cylinders and never had a check engine light I had a check engine light one time when I drove through a puddle it was for an intake air temperature sensor so I cleared it and it has never came back on . I would've thought that running on five cylinders it would've given a misfire code or something the compression on number one before the piston change was only 200 pounds after about 450

Sent by me

Sent by me
Old 03-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Originally Posted by sbarron View Post

Are you talking about the small shiny specks ?

Sent by me
Old 03-04-2016, 02:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

I was referring to some of the scorching around the shoulder and across the rim.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

On a CAT, (fishing boat-3208), I've seen the same damage, (though to be honest, with more damage to the piston top), caused by a bad injector. There wasn't much smoke until right before we decided to tear it down and examine, nor did we ever see any real differences in exhaust temps.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #20 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2011
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Typically the marks in that pattern are due to a bad injector. and you probably got fuel running down the skirt and burning causing rings and such to get blown out and melting.... prob started small. Take a look at the injectors and or replace them. If you are running a tuner there is alot you need to support that extra fueling.

Not knowing all the details of your build or if its stock its hard to say exactly the cause but I would not just put it back together without looking at the injectors... and I always suggest if you change one change them all. its alot of money but just one of those things. also look at the wiring/valve cover gasket for damage. they are known to fail causing injector issues which can result in this...

Also do you have a EGT gauge. and I have a master manual to the 06-07 years on CD if you are interested in it I can email you. just PM me with your contact info.
sbarron and dmuney like this.

2011 R/T - Motor: Diablo T-1000 w/ hemifever, Vararam intake - Susp: Beltech 3/5 drop, hellwig swabars front/rear with adjustable links, full Spohn adjustable rear components. stock r/t wheels and rubber
14.62 1/4 baseline low 12's current goal
R/T_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote