'13-'14 regen problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've seen lots of past threads on the 7.5-10-12 CTD DPF issues, but not many threads on the '13-'14.

So for folks that have '13-'14 CTD, is anyone doing short daily drives ~ 8miles at a time? If so, I'm curious how often you are required to take it on the highway for 45 minutes at a time like the manual states.

I bought a 2500 Hemi 6.4 this year. I love it for the daily drive, but I have a few nags (nothing is perfect I know). My trailer is about 8K and I tow about 10 times a year mostly from Mar-Sept. Every few years, I do a long trip across several states. My nag for towing is that when the Hemi downshifts when pulling on hills, I feel a non-linear power surge, which isn't the best when I'm pulling through twisty mountain and hilly roads which is what I see a lot of. Maybe I just need to learn to manually manage my gears in the hills. Other than that, I've been considering changing my trailer to a toy hauler a few years from now, and my tow max today is 12000. I put about 12K miles on per year. Also, there is some MPG savings to be had.

With the sweet deal I got on my SLT Big Horn, I contacted my dealer, and I might be able to get what I paid for it + more on a straight over swap to a CTD Tradesman. I don't mind losing a few creature comforts... I'd think I'd want my own screen nav stereo system down the road anyway, since the 8.4A isn’t that great.

I would not plan to do any DPF deletes or modifications or tuning, but I’m worried about all the issues I’ve read with short drives and DPF. It's the main reason why I chose the Hemi in the first place, but I'm still thinking on it because its all a big tradeoff, and I liked the way my old Duramax towed.

I know it’s the same old argument I had with myself before, but since I know I’m not losing any money on my purchase, its extending my second guessing time

thanks

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have approximatley 6500 miles on my 13, and most of my trips are on the short side, I have not had to do the dreaded extended drive while the DPF burns off. I don't know if its because it has not done a regen or not, and I have not seen any idiot lights or messages indicating that it is doing anything.

So in a nut shell; IDK ????

alnelson14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a 13 with 10k miles on it, and have never seen the regen message telling me to drive. The idea is the owner never knows when the truck is in regen, and the message doesnt pop up until the DPF reaches 70%.

Do not let people tell you its because the SCR (selective catalyst reduction) as that is an AFTER treatment only designed to lower NoX.

I drove my buddies 12 around the other day and there is one MAJOR difference ive never seen ANYONE bring up, as a matter of fact this is the first time ive mentioned it on a forum.

I believe the differences in the trucks should be noted.

His- 2012 ST Crew cab Long bed Single rear wheel 68rfe 3.73s axle ratio on 37" BFG ATs

Mine- 2013 ST crew cab Long bed Single rear wheel Aisin as69rc 3.42 axle ratio on 33" Goodyear Duratracs

The biggest thing i can see that contributes to his more frequent regens is the transmission tuning. His truck almost never downshifts and will lug around all day at 1100-1200rpm. My truck will down shift. It doesnt like to pull real hard under 1300rpm.

I really like the way his feels, but i feel it produces more soot.

Sorry for the ramble.

ceide4489

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a 14 with 7700Km on it and I have had no problem lots of town trips.

I did notice a very increase DEF useage as soon as I hook up trailer to it

But have never had any regen problems