2012 ram 2500 6.7 Manuel gear questions for mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyrockman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I just bought a new 2012 ram 2500 and didn't realize it has 373 gears, I only get 13 mpg with 305 65 18 tires . I recently traded in a 2012 auto with 342's in it for this Manuel and the auto with the ho 6.7 got around 18-19 mpg , I thought the Manuel would do a lot better as far as mileage but I'm disappointed , anyone got any information on if I should get the 342's gears put in it at the dealership and what it will cost labor and parts. Do you think I will have enough power, I hardly ever pull anything but a 18 ft fishing boat from time to time . Any additional help will be appreciated , truck is all stock except for wheels and tires and a leveling kit . Thanks.
Ps if I did this wrong it's my first time posting lol

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
A leveling kit and those tires can easily drop your mpg 4-6 mpg
My girlfriends truck went from 22-24 to a steady 18 mpg with a leveling kit and 315/70/17

Before you do anything irrational consider the cost to benefit and how many miles it would take for you to pay off getting new gears put in.
I only see changing gears hittin you more, especially with those wheels and tires

My gfs dad has a 2009 6.7l manual with 3:42s, he was getting 14-15 before a SPF delete and 21-22 now after and is can also tune from stock hp up to almost 500 hp (also has a dual disc clutch)
If you want better mileage then I would recommend going back to stock height/wheels and tires or a dpf delete (even a tuner with the dpf still there) before changing gears

4x4Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A leveling kit and those tires can easily drop your mpg 4-6 mpg
My girlfriends truck went from 22-24 to a steady 18 mpg with a leveling kit and 315/70/17

Before you do anything irrational consider the cost to benefit and how many miles it would take for you to pay off getting new gears put in.
I only see changing gears hittin you more, especially with those wheels and tires

My gfs dad has a 2009 6.7l manual with 3:42s, he was getting 14-15 before a SPF delete and 21-22 now after and is can also tune from stock hp up to almost 500 hp (also has a dual disc clutch)
If you want better mileage then I would recommend going back to stock height/wheels and tires or a dpf delete (even a tuner with the dpf still there) before changing gears

changing gears would cost upwards of $2000 right??

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'm not really sure what labor would cost to do it since my neighbor owns a trans shop and does our stuff for us but parts would cost just over $1000
$370 for front ring and pinion
$40 for an installation kit
$480 for a rear ring and pinion
$115 for a rear installation kit

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow your gas mileage is bad. My buddy's 2012 auto with 3.73 gears and 35" tires gets better than that

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2012 CTD with manual and 2.73s gets between 16.5 and 17 mpg. I expect that number to improve as the diesel's fit and finish completes.

Meantime, maybe consider returning the tires to stock. I can't imagine the difference between 3.44s and 3.73s aren't going to make a significant improvement in MPG.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
How many miles do you have on the truck? Your not even close to break in till you have run at least 30k miles since you are a CTD. The MPG on my Hemi was pretty depressing until I got at least 5k on it, so I would be patient for at least a little while and see what happens.

In the meantime SPF delete, and tuner with clutch upgrades sound like the same cost as your gears for a whole lot more fun!

OP
OP
K

Kyrockman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Mpg's

Thanks for the replys guys . So new to this I don't know SPF delete is and don't know what all I can do as far as a tuner for my truck , I think it will void my warranty . Do u think I should put a turbo back exhaust or cat back exhaust and what brand exhaust and tuner should I buy ? Thanks

OP
OP
K

Kyrockman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Mpgs

Its only got around 700 miles on it , I hope it gets better with time , but I'm not going back to stock with the wheels and tires I think they look stupid stock size . I just want to figure out what to do to help Mpgs , so any help as to what exhaust I should buy and brand . Also what brand tuner and size would be appreciate. Thanks

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Your body style and that motor just don't get good fuel mileage
Check this out-http://www.fuelly.com/car/dodge/ram%202500/diesel%20l6
60 different 2010-2012 2500's with over 500k miles between them are averaging about 14.5 mpg

If you want to keep your warranty and get better mpg, there really isn't anything you can do, maybe add an intake but they can try to fault engine problems on it.
A full exhaust won't do a thing unless you delete the DPF system. Without getting to into it, te DPF is like a cat, it can add 3-5 psi of back pressure (you don't want any back pressure after the turbo)
You can spend $300 on an intake (+.5-1mpg maybe)or around $1000 for a tuner/dpf delete (6-8 mpg maybe) but at the same time that's a lot of money for fuel and may cost more if you have to pay for repairs out of pocket.
Basically if you throw $1,000 at the truck to get your fuel mileage back to where it was, you'll have to drive 10k+ miles before you start to see a return from the better fuel mileage

I'm not trying to scare you away from mods, I highly recommend doing a DPF delete with an H&S performance mini maxx

If you really want to save money on fuel without modifications, step down to a 1500

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i moved this to the 6.7 common rail section under Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel Forum

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
When I leveled and tired (35's) my 6.7 mpg dropped from 18 to 14 mpg.. A tuner w dpf delete / turbo back exhaust will reclaim much of that for you but will likely void your warranty unless your dealer is uber cool.
Ch

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Your body style and that motor just don't get good fuel mileage
Check this out-http://www.fuelly.com/car/dodge/ram%202500/diesel%20l6
60 different 2010-2012 2500's with over 500k miles between them are averaging about 14.5 mpg

If you want to keep your warranty and get better mpg, there really isn't anything you can do, maybe add an intake but they can try to fault engine problems on it.
A full exhaust won't do a thing unless you delete the DPF system. Without getting to into it, te DPF is like a cat, it can add 3-5 psi of back pressure (you don't want any back pressure after the turbo)
You can spend $300 on an intake (+.5-1mpg maybe)or around $1000 for a tuner/dpf delete (6-8 mpg maybe) but at the same time that's a lot of money for fuel and may cost more if you have to pay for repairs out of pocket.
Basically if you throw $1,000 at the truck to get your fuel mileage back to where it was, you'll have to drive 10k+ miles before you start to see a return from the better fuel mileage

I'm not trying to scare you away from mods, I highly recommend doing a DPF delete with an H&S performance mini maxx

If you really want to save money on fuel without modifications, step down to a 1500

Pretty much this except for the intake. You wont see any performance of mpg gains from going with an aftermarket intake.
H&S + turbo back exhaust (dpf,nox,cat deleted) will get you closer to where you want to be. Unplugging your EGR will improve your fuel economy, but it'***** and miss on the 2010+ on if you will go into limp mode or not ( A CEL will be on regardless unless you have a tuner to prevent the CEL).