2013 2500 DEF problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt0676

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel
Hello all,

I own a 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins and have had nothing but problems with the sensors in the DEF system. The check engine light has come on about 6-8 times since the first one came on about 14 months ago. Every time I bring it into the dealer they say it is a DEF sensor (different one each time), and end up having to order a new one. Needless to say this has me very concerned.

Is anyone else experiencing problems with the DEF system? It is not consuming a lot (about a tanks every 6500 miles), and performance has been fine. I just worry about what happens after the warranty is up and it keeps failing.

I am also wondering if it is because this was the first year for DEF in this platform.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Mine through a CEL around 1500 miles, NOX sensor, it was replaced and have not had any further issues with it.

I can't remember how long our warranty is for emissions, I believe it is longer than the 3yr/36k bumper to bumper.
However I think if I where in your shoes and the warranty peroid was about to expire I would pop for a extended warranty.

tony 340

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
My buddy's will throw a light, then he usually goes for a highway drive for an hour and it clears it. He has a 12' though so no DEF system.

Do you do a lot of highway driving or towing while loaded?

Mine is a 15' haven't had any problems with it yet.

OP
OP
M

Matt0676

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel
I have about a 20 minute commute to work each day...mostly highway. Aside from that almost no towing at all, for now it is my daily driver until we purchase our camper.

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I drive a 2014 and have about 14000 Miles on it no problem with the CEL or DEF issues, I have only towed once about 8000 lbs so truck didn't know the trailer was atttached I don't think. Best of luck and let us know what if anything they find.

OP
OP
M

Matt0676

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel
Thank you for the feedback. The truck just turned 19000 miles and I am going in tomorrow to order a new one. Chrysler has agreed to replace it because of all the problems. I have had one sensor after another trip the check engine light. They have replaced them each time but it hasn't mattered. My hope is that the 2013 was a bad year for DEF since it was a first and a lot of these problems will be fixed when I get the 2015 in a couple of months. I can't say enough about Chrysler, they have owned the problem every step of the way!

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Thank you for the feedback. The truck just turned 19000 miles and I am going in tomorrow to order a new one. Chrysler has agreed to replace it because of all the problems. I have had one sensor after another trip the check engine light. They have replaced them each time but it hasn't mattered. My hope is that the 2013 was a bad year for DEF since it was a first and a lot of these problems will be fixed when I get the 2015 in a couple of months. I can't say enough about Chrysler, they have owned the problem every step of the way!
Really glad they are standing up for their product. I am sure your '15 will be a much better experience.

ceide4489

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Thats good to hear

In my experience Chrysler has not been so easy to deal with

Rondj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I am having a similar problem with the check engine light coming on and dealership saying it is bad DEF fluid. First time they cleared check engine light and it came back on in a couple of weeks. Second time they said it was contaminated DEF fluid, that they needed to drain tank and flush lines but wasn't under warranty. Was in a bind and needed vehicle so paid the $638 and 2 days later the check engine light on again. I disputed the credit card charge and called Chrysler Dodge customer service. After the truck sitting for a week they finally called and told me to take it to another dealership which I did yesterday. Got a call late yesterday saying not under warranty and needed approval to breakdown the vehicle. My truck has 25000 miles and have had since Dec 2013. Any suggestions.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure you update us on the comparisons of the two trucks :)

carsw06368

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Diesel Exhause Fluid "Catalyst" alarm

Recently went on a 6,000 mile trip around the country. Houston to Salt Lake to Chicago to NY and back to Houston. Summertime temperatures with some hot and cool days across the top of the country.

Engine warning light came on about 500 miles into the trip. Stopped by a dealer and alarm code was "Catalyst not at Threshold Limit". In other words, the DEF fluid was not concentrated enough (at least that was the error). The dealer reset the code as it was on a Saturday and I went on my way. About 100 miles later, the Engine warning light came back on.

I stopped into an AutoZone and bought an ODBII reader. Yep, same code, same error. I reset the codes and continued on my way. I had to reset the code two more times in about a 1000 miles. Put new DEF in around Chicago and got to NY without any more codes.

It has come on a couple more times since being back in Houston and when I check, it's always the same error. I might possibly have a bad sensor, but will drive it a bit more since I get excellent mileage (averaged 20 mpg over the 6,000 miles) and I am using DEF at about the right pace. Temperature also does seem to have something to do with the alarms as it was HOT when they came on.

Just joined the Forum and thought I would add what I have experienced and know so far about DEF.