Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel Forum > 6.7 Common Rail

6.7 Common Rail

2013 with def issues

This is a discussion on 2013 with def issues within the 6.7 Common Rail forums, part of the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel Forum category!
I have a 2013 Ram with 29,000 mikes on it, the 5 MPH max in the next 200 mikes def ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2016, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013
Engine: cummins
Default 2013 with def issues
I have a 2013 Ram with 29,000 mikes on it, the 5 MPH max in the next 200 mikes def systems needs serviced see dealer message came on, took to local dealer and they are telling me my def is testing poor and that it has started to crystalize and now they are telling me the fix is to replace tank, pump, injector, the part the injector injects into, I have read about def shelf life, but can't seem to find anything about the life of it after the container is opened, this truck is not a daily driver and sometimes will sit for 2 weeks without moving, is it possible I have def going bad in my tank? I just added def about 4 days ago and it was a fresh jug I just bought, the last time I added before that was February. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
Super M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Engine: 6.7 CTD
I cannot answer your question, however in comparison my 2013 has 20k on it and may sit for weeks at a time also. I have not experienced any crystallization yet. I did have the retard 200 mile warning, however it was diagnosed as a anomaly.

I recently did a 800 mile tow and burned through 3 gal of DEF.

Is your factory warranty going to cover the repairs?
Rotzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Warranty is not going to cover it.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: 6.7 CTD
Originally Posted by Super M View Post
I have a 2013 Ram with 29,000 mikes on it, the 5 MPH max in the next 200 mikes def systems needs serviced see dealer message came on, took to local dealer and they are telling me my def is testing poor and that it has started to crystalize and now they are telling me the fix is to replace tank, pump, injector, the part the injector injects into, I have read about def shelf life, but can't seem to find anything about the life of it after the container is opened, this truck is not a daily driver and sometimes will sit for 2 weeks without moving, is it possible I have def going bad in my tank? I just added def about 4 days ago and it was a fresh jug I just bought, the last time I added before that was February. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Originally Posted by Super M View Post
Warranty is not going to cover it.
From the Owners Manual - Diesel Supplement:
Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is considered a very stable product with a long shelf life. If DEF is kept in temperatures between 10 to 90F (-12 to 32C), it will last a minimum of one year.

From what you wrote, it sounds to me like you bought a jug of DEF that was either sitting on the shelf for way too long or one that had been tampered with. I've noticed when the DEF hits the ground or spills down the side of the truck it begins to crystalize very quickly due to water displacement. If you have your truck back, drain the tank and put some good stuff in. Fresh DEF will dissolve crystals. I've only heard of issues of having less than the 32.5% urea threshold, not more. Also, if it is crystalized in the lines and up to the injector, ok....maybe they need replaced, cleaned or purged. Idk about the catalyst itself though based on this statement from the manual:

"The DEF pump will run for a period of time after engine shutdown to purge the DEF system. This is normal operation."

If the pump is still injecting DEF after shutdown, I'm sure some crystalizes in there due to loss of exhaust temperature and just gets burned off next time.

On one hand, it sounds like you're getting the run around. On the other hand, is sounds like it was user error putting in junk DEF which I can understand it not being covered under warranty because that is not shoddy workmanship on the system itself.

Need more info. If you can, a second opinion.

Old 07-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Got a 2015 Ram DEF truck in twice for DEF issues in 12,000 miles. Clean and sealed fluid used only. There is a ongoing issue with this system. Have talked with several Ram owners that have had many problems with the emissions system. Sad to void a warranty by installing a DEF delete, EGR delete and unlocking the computer for a program, but it seems the only way to not becoming a regular at the dealer is to delete this system. The only people that are happy hauling with there Rams have deleted this system. The only mistakes I have heard, is towing while having the power tune up to high, causing transmission failure. Stock tune and 30 HP tune has proven to be reliable.
RV Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yah it's sicken to think they can't fix these. Problems, my truck is still in the shop tomorrow will be 4 weeks they are waiting for a def pump module there are 500 on back order, Dodge has been mo help, called the help desk and was told somebody would be back to me in 48 hours , that was last Friday and have heard nothing. Very disappointing to say the least.