2014 burning oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3KQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Hi guys, what are you seeing with oil consumption on your 6.7? I picked up my used 2014 CC LB with 8,800 miles on it July 20th. The dealer changed the oil just before I bought it. The truck now has 11,900 miles on it and when I checked the oil today it did not show on the dip stick. Put two quarts in and that brought it to up the to full mark. Is this normal? Seems excessive for a nearly new truck. My 2007 Duramax never used any oil between changes and it had 90k on it.

Thinking about taking it to the dealer and having them check the turbo and CCV.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The earlier 6.7s like mine a known for 'making oil' between oil changes so 2 quarts seems like a lot of oil to be missing. Are you sure it was full after they did the oil change?

| 2012 CCSB CTD 2500 | XRT PRO w/MCC by Double R Diesel

OP
OP

3KQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
That I am not sure of. However, I did check it after a long trip of 2500 miles and that reading was in the middle of the safe zone on the dipstick. Then I pulled heavy for only 150 miles. Some of that trip was pulling a steep grade for 10 miles both ways. When I get back home. I checked the oil again and it is not showing on the dipstick. That is when I put the two quarts in. So it seems to be more noticeable when pulling hard.

I will get the oil changed at the dealer and tell them of the problem. Maybe they can check the turbo seals as a starting point. Really hope this is not oil rings not sealing. I bought it used so who knows what the first guy did while the rings were seating.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yeah, there can be surprises when buying a used truck. To me, using that much oil seems abnormal.

Hopefully you still have the factory warranty intact in the event there is an issue.