2015 ram 2500 diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tppleasants

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just bought truck, have 607 miles on it and started it up put it in drive and my max speed was 5mph! Wouldnt go any faster, been sitting at the dealership waiting on there diesel tech to return to work from being sick. Meantime im sick as you know what. Diesel engines are foreign to me. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, i see no check engine lights or any indications of a code thrown!!

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Sounds like limp mode but would expect you to see the CEL or a message in the EVIC at the very least. Call FCA customer care if you think they are screwing with you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MyTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
How did you drive it home from the dealer???

OP
OP
T

tppleasants

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Drove home normal. No issues or warnings until 3rd day of ownership and then all of a sudden truck wouldn't go more than 5mph.

OP
OP
T

tppleasants

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what would cause it to go into limp mode?? truck drove fine then without warning it started the the 5mph max or limp mode

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
what would cause it to go into limp mode?? truck drove fine then without warning it started the the 5mph max or limp mode
Honestly, with the electronics and emissions systems on these trucks there are several things that 'could' cause it. But every case I have heard of there was a CEL and trouble codes to identify the issue. Without trouble codes there really is no point in guessing.

You are going to have to get an OBDII code reader and go try to pull codes from the truck. Come back here and let us know what you found. Then maybe we can help. But even if we can help identify the issue, if their diesel tech is out i doubt they will touch the truck until he gets back, even if you suggest a possible fix.

Do you have another Ram dealer near you that has a diesel tech?

Greg
2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

OP
OP
T

tppleasants

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update!! tech came in this morning, service manager told me he thinks the torque converter or worse case the transmission is the culprit. Prior to the tech coming in, friday they said there other mechanics found no cel's or codes. Also updated truck with any new software updates to no avail. So they feel its definitely mechanical. I also reached out to customer service and my case worker informed me the dealership tech is working with his corporate techs to figure out issue!! Kinda makes me a bit more comfortable and also scheptical that he needs there assistance!!

OP
OP
T

tppleasants

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update again! Service manager says that it is definitely the torque converter!! I asked are we sure the trucks not in limp mode, his reply was no, limp mode would allow truck to go 35mph and would have a cel related to why its in limp mode!! He is working with chrysler to not only replace converter but to also replace transmission since the truck has only 600 miles. Doesnt wanna take any chances!! He said chrysler asked if there is anything else they could do, his reply was yes, make his first truck payment!! hooray!! So waiting on authorization for tranny converter combo tomorrow and were going from there!! Fingers crossed!!

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Good deal man! Still would have expected the bad TC to throw some sort of code but it sounds like they are taking care of you. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
T

tppleasants

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update! new transmission and tc approved. Will be ready by next tuesday! I appreciate the valuable input Power 247, much appreciated from a guy in no mans land!!

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Update! new transmission and tc approved. Will be ready by next tuesday! I appreciate the valuable input Power 247, much appreciated from a guy in no mans land!!
No problem man!

BTW... Wilson is not quite no man's land... But its damn close! LOL!! When I first moved to NC with my family in '93 we moved to Red Oak/Nashville area.

Greg

OP
OP
T

tppleasants

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From boston, ma so i had a bit of a culture shock myself!! Wouldnt change it for nothing in the world!!

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
From boston, ma so i had a bit of a culture shock myself!! Wouldnt change it for nothing in the world!!
No doubt!! I moved from the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area so I kinda know what you mean. No way could I ever move back!!

Greg