2016 3500 maintenance cost....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What are you guys paying for the maintenance on your trucks!?!?!? I just asked my dealer what the 15k oil change and fuel filter cost would be for my truck, and damn near passed out! If it's $497 for that. They can take the truck and stuff it up their ass! Ill go back to a 6.4 hemi before getting ****** that hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
I have a 2500 diesel.

oil filter is $12
Oil at Costco is $30 for 3 gallons
Air filter is $50

Carlo

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Changing the fuel filters is where they really take advantage of you. Every dealership I've​ been to wants $125 to change the fuel filter (my truck only has 1) which is basically the cost of the filter and 1 hour labor. 13+ trucks have 2 filters so double that. Add in the regular price of $175 to change the oil. And you are all over $500. Pretty crappy since the can change the fuel filters while they wait for the oil to drain anyway.

I get 4 oil changes +tire rotations for under $400 on a service plan vs the $175 they charge without the plan. Which for me is worth it not to have to mess with used oil. And then order the fuel filters online and change them myself.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
When I was deleted I changed oil every 10k miles, after I sent my oil away to Blackstone lab and they said it was good to go.

Oil: $35 for 3 gallons
Filter: $10
Fuel filter: $45-55 (order them online in bulk)

Do your own maintenance. Its not hard at all. Even the fuel filter takes about 5 min tops.

Tranny oil and both filters was a little more expensive and labor intensive.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Did some research last night before passing out from lack of sleep, that's pure insanity and robbery to charge that... No wonder people I know won't touch a cummins, definitely going to have to do it myself (wanted the dealer to do it so it would have the records in the system for down the road at trade in. As I got an ear full for doing my own on the 6.4 I had as that lowers the trade/resale) looks like going rotella full syn, and buying the filters off geno's is about $200-$220 depending on oil prices

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have between friends and family 6 trucks I work on myself.

My truck I changed oil every 10K miles and fuel filters every 18K or whatever it tells me. I've pretty much got it down to this.

oil change - 15 minutes (not even rushing)
Fuel filters - 15 minutes (not even rushing)

Will be doing an oil change on a friends truck today actually.

Oil for my truck is $80 - I use the Valvoline Cummins certified synthetic. I know it's over kill and change it at 10K, but it what I've been doing.

My friends and family use the regular Vavoline at half that price. Filters are $60.

I like doing it myself. I know it's done and not some kid who maybe not paying 100% attention and miss something.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just ordered the filters off amazon, $110 for the mopar fuel filters, and a fleet guard/cummins statoguard (lf16035), same stuff as that geno's, but $40 cheaper at the end with shipping. Now. Stock iirc from when my dad had his 00 5.9, and what I remember on these (it's almost 1am, I'm not stumbling outside to get the manual) the cummins run rotella t6 15w-40, but I've heard guys run the full syn 5w-40 rotella t6, I'm guessing it's more personally preference? If it matter much, I live in New York State, yes winters get cold (well. Usually) and I have a tendency to go snowmobiling where it's cold as hell (-10 to -25*f isn't out of the question) while pulling a trailer with sleds in it, would the regular old Dino oil be fine, or should I just say the hell with it and go to the full syn since it should flow better in the cold

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I paid $120 for oil change on a 2015 cummins. Rotella t6 full synthetic at oil change place. My last ram 1500 was $100.
$100 both fuel filters took 30 minutes to do. Dealer wanted $189 for filters $189 labor
Crank case filter needs changing at 65k miles. Paid $58 for a cummins fleetgaurd dealer wanted $160 and $120 labor. I havnt done it yet but its on the way to my door.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I took my 2016 CTD in to the dealer a couple weeks ago for the oil change and fuel filter change. I left with a $450 bill. I couldn't believe it. They charged me over $300 to change the fuel filters. I perform regular maintenance on John Deere tractors all the time and will be doing my own service going forward. Just couldn't believe it when the service advisor handed me the bill.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I took my 2016 CTD in to the dealer a couple weeks ago for the oil change and fuel filter change. I left with a $450 bill. I couldn't believe it. They charged me over $300 to change the fuel filters. I perform regular maintenance on John Deere tractors all the time and will be doing my own service going forward. Just couldn't believe it when the service advisor handed me the bill.

That's why I asked before taking it in, something told me to ask... That's highway robbery! How can ram even mention about their maintenance and the 15k intervals, when the dealers are flat out ****** us??? I'm half tempted to call a couple ferd and cheby dealers just to see what our counterparts are paying for service

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Changed my oil last week. Mopar filter and T5 synthetic blend cost just under $70. I do the fuel filters once a year and they're about $80 for the set, so about $220 a year for maint for me.

The oil change is actually every 6 months if you aren't putting 15k on in that amount of time. The dealers would probably even try to get you to do the fuel filters at the same time even though here 1yr/15k intervals.

Last edited:

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I would like to add i did when i did my filters they looked new. Maybe they were dirty idk but i think every 15k is b.s. All this emission crap and what? we run dirty fuel? How often do you change a gas engine 100k + miles. I think its some kind of scam lol

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I seen in the manual the other day it's 6mo, 15k... Considering yes I see a lot of temperature swings, but my truck rarely sits for a whole day, and doesn't do city driving/short drives, there can't be much moisture build up??? Willing to bet, if I did the oil change at 6 months, which would be around 7500 miles, and sent the oil out for analysts, that it would come back as fine... Yeah it's only $70... And I agree about the fuel filters, I know diesel can have more stuff in it then gas for contaminates, but, anything for a buck [emoji23]

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I would like to add i did when i did my filters they looked new. Maybe they were dirty idk but i think every 15k is b.s. All this emission crap and what? we run dirty fuel? How often do you change a gas engine 100k + miles. I think its some kind of scam lol

Fair statement. I can't think that with the intense scrutinization to be able to make ULSD it could possibly be a "dirty" fuel afterward. In the days prior it may have been necessary. FWIW, in the beginning....I got my first Cummins, a 98 24v, and didn't know anything about doing it. Got about 15-20k miles and it started sputtering a bit. I thought it might be bad fuel so I called the station to see if anyone else had complained. Learned about changing fuel filters along with the new injection pump that grenaded from starvation. Haven't heard of these issues lately personally, but I think people are sticking to the intervals pretty well.

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
The only other issue I forgot to mention was in the colder states like where I live the fuel gels up in winter which would make more sense maybe to change but again this is 2017 fuel should be refined better than ever.

repo4sale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7diesel
$8 oil filter
$40-65 3 gallons oil
$112= 3 sets of fuel filters Amazon
$3-8/qt diff or ATF 4 oils
$18 air filter disposal
$60 air filter KN washable

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I never take it to the dealer if I dont have to. I do my own routine fluid changes. Now the 13 plus recalls are getting a bit old though!

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
$108 for oil. about $30 more than I can do it, so they get to do it

$198 for fuel filters, I get the fleetguards from the big rig shop for $125 and do it myself. I torn the o-ring on the front filter, had to make a trip back into town in the wife's Mustang for another one.

filters at 15k
View media item 28443

mkcummins66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
3 gals of Rotella T6 from amazon is usually 55$ and free shipping if you have prime