6.7 cummins with 35's mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ramguy11

ramguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They changed the load on me this morning. Picked up a different column and no extra manways. This column comes in a little over 12k lbs plus the trailer. Pulled it without a single hiccup and no raised temps. You guys should stop reading so many car and truck articles. Just go use the damn thing you will see.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415044313.612615.jpg

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
Well you should be proud it's a Cummins! That's what they do pull heavy loads, and can handle great payload. So what's your point across? I see this all day long in the area of Texas I live in, from hauling cattle, hauling constriction equipment, farm equipment, and hot shot hauling. l think you misinterpreted or misunderstood of the gears you have for your truck. Everyone has their own opinion about the gears , rather it's 3.42, 3.73, or 4.10 gears. Obviously it works for you and the type of work you do. No doubt your truck is not a grocery getter.

OP
OP
ramguy11

ramguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well you should be proud it's a Cummins! That's what they do pull heavy loads, and can handle great payload. So what's your point across? I see this all day long in the area of Texas I live in, from hauling cattle, hauling constriction equipment, farm equipment, and hot shot hauling. l think you misinterpreted or misunderstood of the gears you have for your truck. Everyone has their own opinion about the gears , rather it's 3.42, 3.73, or 4.10 gears. Obviously it works for you and the type of work you do. No doubt your truck is not a grocery getter.

My point was made for the people claiming our trucks are not setup to pull heavy loads and we have **** gears.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My point was made for the people claiming our trucks are not setup to pull heavy loads and we have **** gears.

They are not as set up as they could be, they are set up as a compromise leaning towards fuel economy over towing capacity.

OP
OP
ramguy11

ramguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They are not as set up as they could be, they are set up as a compromise leaning towards fuel economy over towing capacity.

There will always be "as they could be" compromise horse manure.

17.2k max tow for my 3/3 ton and I have exceeded that max twice. No problem.

Father's '13 ram 3500 has 3.42's as well.... I think 30k is pretty damn good towing capacity.

And yea when I don't have a load I appreciate my moderate fuel mileage. People need to quit keyboard quarterbacking on these forums. Not just this one. Everywhere. Lots of good information no doubt about that but some people spit paper BS and have no experience.

Truck does everything it is suppose to do just fine. I had a 6.7 (09 3rd gen style I think they call that) with the 3.73's before this one. I like this one more and find it pulls better IMO.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There will always be "as they could be" compromise horse manure.

17.2k max tow for my 3/3 ton and I have exceeded that max twice. No problem.

Father's '13 ram 3500 has 3.42's as well.... I think 30k is pretty damn good towing capacity.

And yea when I don't have a load I appreciate my moderate fuel mileage. People need to quit keyboard quarterbacking on these forums. Not just this one. Everywhere. Lots of good information no doubt about that but some people spit paper BS and have no experience.

Truck does everything it is suppose to do just fine. I had a 6.7 (09 3rd gen style I think they call that) with the 3.73's before this one. I like this one more and find it pulls better IMO.

The only ram with 30000 towing capacity is a dually with 4.10's.

RoloTahmasee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I bought my truck and it had **** tires....

WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO GO OUT AND SPEND $2000 TO BUY NEW TIRES WHEN IT SHOULD JUST COME WITH BIGGER TIRES TO BEGIN WITH?

I bought my truck and didn't like the ride height

WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO GO OUT AND SPEND $1500 ON A LIFT KIT WHEN IT SHOULD JUST COME 4" HIGHER TO BEGIN WITH?

Point is

Buy the truck because it's quality and it's what you want

Change what needs to be changed so it suits YOU - factor in extra $$$ when you buy it to make it the way YOU like it

if that means a gear change, so be it...

still better than driving a Powerjoke or a ****box Chevy

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I bought my truck and it had **** tires....

WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO GO OUT AND SPEND $2000 TO BUY NEW TIRES WHEN IT SHOULD JUST COME WITH BIGGER TIRES TO BEGIN WITH?

I bought my truck and didn't like the ride height

WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO GO OUT AND SPEND $1500 ON A LIFT KIT WHEN IT SHOULD JUST COME 4" HIGHER TO BEGIN WITH?

Point is

Buy the truck because it's quality and it's what you want

Change what needs to be changed so it suits YOU - factor in extra $$$ when you buy it to make it the way YOU like it

if that means a gear change, so be it...

still better than driving a Powerjoke or a ****box Chevy

The difference with those is they are an easy change that would benefit one person. If Ram offered more gear ratios it would benefit everyone. A person doesn't have to chose the higher gears but they should have the choice.

OP
OP
ramguy11

ramguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only ram with 30000 towing capacity is a dually with 4.10's.

This truck has had a 40ft gooseneck load, grossed 25.3k.
Didn't have a problem and that's with those "poor poo poo" 3.42's.
I don't think 30k is out the question at all.
Im tired of the back in forth. My point is buy the truck and it gets the job done. 3.73's or 3.42's I still pull anything a truck with 3.73's will except when I'm unloaded I can still get decent mileage.

If you are just pissy about the fact you didn't have an option then go be an engineer or lead designer. Other than that it makes you sound like I kid who had the option for his parents to alway just get you what you wanted.

(This point isn't directed towards you, it's just a post where instated my point again to everyone).
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415105330.263856.jpg

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
The difference with those is they are an easy change that would benefit one person. If Ram offered more gear ratios it would benefit everyone. A person doesn't have to chose the higher gears but they should have the choice.

This seems like a really silly response to me. It'd benefit just as many people to offer different factory tire sizes as gears.
I would say a gear swap is just as easy as a tire swap because most will pay someone else to do it and neither are cheap.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This seems like a really silly response to me. It'd benefit just as many people to offer different factory tire sizes as gears.
I would say a gear swap is just as easy as a tire swap because most will pay someone else to do it and neither are cheap.

4 tires is say $1500, you can sell your take offs for say $400. Someone on here got a quote for a gear swap that was $2800 for front and rear.
To offer different tire sizes and brands they would have to negotiate with different manufacturers of tires and stock all of those different tires. That would cost the oems big money to carry all of the different brands. There are thousands of brand and sizes that people can chose from.
If they chose to offer different gear ratios it will cost them nothing! All of the gear ratios are already installed in the axles which are already at the manufacturing plant. It is litterally a change of selecting the correct axle assembly to put in the vehicle.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
You could be quoted $2800 for tires but you'd keep shopping right? I've seen guys actually pay $1600-$2200 to have gears swapped on another HD Ram forum

If they choose different tire size it wouldn't cost them anything! All of the tires would already be installed in wheels which are already at he manufacturing plant. It is literally a change of selecting the correct wheel/tire combo to put on the vehicle.

Nobody ever mentioned different manufactures, just like you are arguing for different gear ratios now we are arguing for different tire sizes.
It's literally the same argument just for different parts. You are for one but against the other albeit no difference.
You have also pointed a good reason for only one gear ratio, ease of assembly and cost of manufacturing.
Every time a truck is built with a different option there is down time on the assembly line, wether it's axle/differential assembly or vehicle assembly and it costs the manufacturer money. This is why there are less and less options on trucks and dealers/manufactures pushing packaged trucks that are all the same.

Last edited:

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This truck has had a 40ft gooseneck load, grossed 25.3k.
Didn't have a problem and that's with those "poor poo poo" 3.42's.
I don't think 30k is out the question at all.
Im tired of the back in forth. My point is buy the truck and it gets the job done. 3.73's or 3.42's I still pull anything a truck with 3.73's will except when I'm unloaded I can still get decent mileage.

If you are just pissy about the fact you didn't have an option then go be an engineer or lead designer. Other than that it makes you sound like I kid who had the option for his parents to alway just get you what you wanted.

(This point isn't directed towards you, it's just a post where instated my point again to everyone).
View attachment 39017

To start with, apples and oranges comparing that truck to a 2500.
Even if that truck has standard 68rfe transmission, with 3.42 gearing your towing capacity is going to be under 17,000lbs AND the same transmission in the 3500 has different shift points then the 2500.

Fact is, the 2500 with 3.42 and the 68rfe is NOT a good combination with the software the company decided to use.

Google the issues.

I'm not the only one complaining.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That bad? .3 gear ratio makes that much difference?

What are you pulling?

Yes. That bad.

Pulling a 40ft 13,000lb 5th wheel and a 12,000 boat and trailer.

Truck was supposed to be rated well above that at 17,100 lbs.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Or you could just go get a gear change. Put in whatever gear you want, the options are limitless.....

That's true except for the fact that there is no computer flash for those limitless option gears for a '14 2500. I checked and checked and checked.

The option was: live with a truck that was seriously confused and lousy at pulling, or, switch to a truck meant to pull.

Lesson learned, the hard way.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

They do offer different size tires.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You shouldnt but I feel like itd be cheaper to swap gears then to eat the depreciation
Sounds like someone would've been better off with a DRW truck from the start

Not according to the factory specs on the '14 2500.

It "should" have handled it fine, problem wasn't the numbers. Problem was with the transmission and gears not working together well enough.

If it had been a choice, I would have purchased the 2500 with 3.73 gears and I would probably have been very happy.

OP
OP
ramguy11

ramguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To start with, apples and oranges comparing that truck to a 2500.
Even if that truck has standard 68rfe transmission, with 3.42 gearing your towing capacity is going to be under 17,000lbs AND the same transmission in the 3500 has different shift points then the 2500.

Fact is, the 2500 with 3.42 and the 68rfe is NOT a good combination with the software the company decided to use.

Google the issues.

I'm not the only one complaining.

I think you missing it here. I don't give a dang what you type out lol. I drive these trucks daily. I pull these loads and I have no problems.
Y'all keep complaining on the forums, it's doing a lot of good lol. The rest of us will keep driving out trucks and live in the reality.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ramguy11

ramguy11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. That bad.

Pulling a 40ft 13,000lb 5th wheel and a 12,000 boat and trailer.

Truck was supposed to be rated well above that at 17,100 lbs.

I haul the same loads and then some, I have no quarries... Just go buy a ford or something then.

ceide4489

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I also have a 14 3500 with the the 3.42 gears and have absolutely no issue towing with it.

I would be more inclined to believe something wrong with your individual truck or maybe your excpectations

You are not going to hook that load behind truck and still do 14 sec quarter miles or 0-160 in 10.