6.7 L Engine Cladder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keep It Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins ISB 6.7 L
Hey Guys and Girls:

I'm a newbie to the forum so please bear with me. I recently purhased a 2010 2500 with the 6.7 L Cummins (35,000 Miles). I notice a very distinct claddering noise coming from the engine block on the drivers side in the vicinity of the EGR valve. It's almost a metal to metal tapping. It's not to be confused with the valve train and/or injector sounds that are normal with diesel engines. It also comes and goes regardless of engine temp. My dealer has not been overly helpful and simply says that "some" of these typically make this noise. I just received my first oil analysis and the report states all readings well within the standard parameters. Is anyone familiar with the annoying sound?? Thanks for the help!!

Search Youtube for "Cummins Diesel Engine Cladder" and you will hear what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Post an audio clip and it will make it easier to help diagnose, or put you at ease.

OP
OP
K

Keep It Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins ISB 6.7 L
I have a iPhone and I know how to video something. Can you tell me how to post it on this site? Thanks for the suggestion.

2serious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Photobucket account get the app on ur phone you can upload it right there

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Welcome!

Has it been doing it since you got the truck? Or has it started doing it since you bought it?

OP
OP
K

Keep It Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins ISB 6.7 L
It's been making this sound since I bought it in Sept. 2012 I will post a couple of videos so you can hear what it sounds like. Please trust me its not the typical diesel sound. It's not always present either. Sometimes while at a stop light it purrs like it should and within seconds here comes the cladder/tapping sound. The engine idles fine not missing and runs like a TIGER when you step on it. An awesome machine, I love it!

Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
K

Keep It Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins ISB 6.7 L
I chose a video from my iPhone but I get upload error. Any help?

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Try posting to Youtube then post the link here. Thats what I did when I had odd engine sound questions.

2007.5 6.7 cold knock - YouTube

Here is the one I posted a few weeks back.

OP
OP
K

Keep It Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins ISB 6.7 L
NWRQC:
Based on the title of your video, I would assume you only hear this knocking sound when the engine is cold. My engine makes this same knocking sound but it does it even at regular operating temp. Sometimes it doesn't cladder when cold then starts to cladder when fully warm. There doesn't seem to be a particular pattern to it other than being very annoying.

Thanks for the suggestion of posting on Youtube, I'll give that a try.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The sound seems most noticable when the truck is cold, but does happen even after warmed up. I tried changing the title, but couldn't figure out how.. I chose that title because the truck was cold and had been sitting over night.
From what I was told after posting that, the truck sounds normal to others.

OP
OP
K

Keep It Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins ISB 6.7 L
6.7 Engine Cladder

WOW!! At long last, I finally got a video posted to help you hear the sound I've written about. Please, go to youtube and search Cummins Diesel Engine Cladder. I hope this helps and THANKS AGAIN for all of your input!!

cumminsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
cladder

mine does the same thing I noticed it after the deletes never did before but do now and I heard a lot of 6.7 cummins and they got the same noise so I think its normal

Tunatruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Same noise here

Any new findings on your problem? I have the exact same noise noticed it about 100k miles after the deletes. (260k miles now) I noticed it only happens when it's cold out (most of the time) and when it's raining (sometimes) when it's warm and dry (usually) no noise. 3 different mechanics said its normal, but this ain't my first (or 2nd)cummins and I've never heard this before. My truck is stock other than the deletes and drop in k&n filter in factory air box

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
It's very normal to get the vibration in the dash, and very well loud in the engine bay, clattering and so forth. The issue is a lot of guys are used to driving trucks with emissions intact, and of course it dampens the inside of the truck, hardly any shake or vibration. Even louder in the engine bay when egr/ cooler is removed. When the first time diesel owner deletes his truck, they freak out lol! The Cummins has more vibration, and engine clattering more so than the Duramax, amd Powerstroke.