6.7l help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So, my '14 2500 6.7l with only 3800 miles is making a noise that has been described by others as "eggs frying" when it is idling. The noise is a popping and snapping sound. It's over the regular engine noise.

When it has been driving or gets warmed up it gets worse, not super bad but inside the truck you can hear it pretty well if you listen. Outside the truck it almost sounds like a light "ping" or knocking. As I drive the truck it gets worse and sounds like knocking. When I pull something heavy it gets very bad.

Also, when I let off the accelerator there is a second noise (kinda has the same sound but it's not the same) where there is non-random but intermittent noise that almost sounds like what I can best describe as an "electrical rattle" like either something is loose or some signal is being made into a short. (I know that's not it but I can't describe it any other way).

Trouble is I am not able to get audio/video, I've tried several times, but at least the diesel tech heard the same noises.

I've had it in a couple times and the tech has no idea how to fix it, chrysler tech reps have no idea.

Fuel pump was out of phase, fixed that but didn't help.

The second intermittent noise does seem to go away when I run the AC, but only when I'm not pulling anything.

I really hope someone has heard something like this because no one around here has any ideas.

rusties93LE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 magnum
Automatic or manual transmission? Can you hear what part of the engine bay the sound is coming from? Since I obviously can't be in person to diagnose, I will be asking allot of questions. You could also PM me.

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Automatic or manual transmission? Can you hear what part of the engine bay the sound is coming from? Since I obviously can't be in person to diagnose, I will be asking allot of questions. You could also PM me.

Auto. For the "rattle type noise" from inside the truck it sounds like it's coming from the head area.

Standing outside it sounds like it's coming from the area of the right front near the wheel.

For the intermittent sound the only time I hear it is when I am driving and let off the accelerator so I can't say for certain. Sounds like it comes from the topside, but who knows for sure.

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Finally, after 5 weeks of being at the dealership they FINALLY replaced something.

Apparently the fuel pump has a problem because another guy came into the dealership this week with the exact same problem.

So if you have a '14 diesel and you start hearing a strange sizzling sound that sounds like the engine is almost "spark knocking" you probably have a fuel pump issue.

Oh, and the fuel pump is a $5,000 warranty item. That, according to the service manager at my dealership.

rusties93LE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 magnum
Glad they got it figured out for ya, happy trailblazing!

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Was the sound being caused because the fuel pump was not getting enough fuel to the engine fast enough?

Sounds like it would have caused damage or something if that was the case? Just me thinking out loud here.

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well the good news was they fixed the problem with a new fuel pump.

Bad news: truck is back to the same problems.

Anyone know how to start a tech alert on the fuel pump?

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So this morning I dropped it off for round 2.

They're going to end up replacing the pump, again.

What can cause the front fuel pump to start having serious issues twice in just 1,000 miles? They're going to look into root causes, but at this point it feels like just replacing it is treating a symptom to me.

What's even weirder is that the sales manager told me that if this issue persists I have enough to sue Chrysler under Michigan's lemon law. He offered this on his own, so I think they think this truck is going to be a problem. [sigh]