Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel Forum > 6.7 Common Rail

Sponsored Ads
Register to remove these ads.

6.7 Common Rail

Class Action 6.7L

This is a discussion on Class Action 6.7L within the 6.7 Common Rail forums, part of the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesel Forum category!
Does anyone know of a class action filed against Dodge and/or Cummins relating to the 6.7L Cummins diesel? Issues regarding ...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012
Engine: Cummins ISB 6.7 L
Default Class Action 6.7L
Does anyone know of a class action filed against Dodge and/or Cummins relating to the 6.7L Cummins diesel? Issues regarding too frequent oil change interval, increasing oil level in crankcase, EGR and DPF issues etc.? I didn't spend $40K to buy a 2012 Cummins engine that calls (as per EVIC) for an oil change every 1500 miles. Then after changing oil finding the oil level rising with lab sampling that indicates fuel contamination. Or, I spend my time and money to go for a highway ride for 45 minutes to passively regenerate a DPF filter. Finally, have a dealership snub it's nose at my reguest to address theses problems. These notions were NOT mentioned to me when I purchased the truck. Anyone follow or share my frustration here???

Thanks!

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

Keep It Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Engine: Cummins 6.7
havent had mine long enough to experience those things myself, but i have read plenty of people having close to same experience. it seems to happen with the trucks that arent getting worked hard.
kcbigbadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)

Engine: Cummins 6.7
A lot of people have solved these issues by deleting these trucks. But the issues you mentioned are pretty much common knowledge about the 6.7's.

2012 Ram 2500 ST, Cummins, 4x4 crewcab. 5 inch RC lift, 37 inch Nitto Terra Grapplers, 20x9 KMC XD Spys, H&S XRT Programer, MBRP exhaust.
Wandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Name: Eddie

Ram Year: 2012 & 2012
Engine: 5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Default Class Action 6.7L
If its used as a diesel should be used it'll be fine. If you bought it just to have a diesel and no other reason. You've got a problem.
jlb and oilfieldtrash83 like this.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine: 6.7 CTD
Originally Posted by Keep It Cummins View Post
Does anyone know of a class action filed against Dodge and/or Cummins relating to the 6.7L Cummins diesel? Issues regarding too frequent oil change interval, increasing oil level in crankcase, EGR and DPF issues etc.? I didn't spend $40K to buy a 2012 Cummins engine that calls (as per EVIC) for an oil change every 1500 miles. Then after changing oil finding the oil level rising with lab sampling that indicates fuel contamination. Or, I spend my time and money to go for a highway ride for 45 minutes to passively regenerate a DPF filter. Finally, have a dealership snub it's nose at my reguest to address theses problems. These notions were NOT mentioned to me when I purchased the truck. Anyone follow or share my frustration here???

Thanks!
If you bought it as a car to bomb around town then you are going to have issues. Any diesel with a DPF is going to experience the same problems under those driving conditions. Cummins may be a little worse but not much. Mine doesn't make extra oil and never tells me to drive to regen because mine sees highway. Nevertheless, its still going to get the DPF and EGR deleted.
oilfieldtrash83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Name: Scott

Ram Year: 2007
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
The oil level rising and fuel contamination really doesn't have ANYTHING to do with the EGR or any of the emissions issues. That is your fuel injectors leaking... and if you don't have that issue resolved fairly quickly, you will have way more issues than you are dealing with now.

And where did you see 1500 mile oil changes?

USMC1188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

The oil level rising due to fuel contamination comes from the regen process. Although you could obviously have other issues ( like you mebtion an injector) but its common for DPF/emission equipment intact trucks to make oil between changes. I personally have never had that problem, but then again I don't know what happened to my stock exhaust, it went missing shortly after I bought the truck.
USMC1188 and USMC0326 like this.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Name: Scott

Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Interesting, I still am not 100% sure how that would be possible, but then again, I have never had to deal with that issue, so I completely believe that it could happen.

Thanks for the info though
NWRQC likes this.

USMC1188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2012 Ram 2500 Crew 4x4
Engine: 6.7 Cummins HO
My 2012 2500 wont be worked too hard. Just a daily driver. But I have a warranty...

Probably in a year or two I will be doing deletes.

Its common knowledge that diesels need extra work, maintenance, and cost more to maintain. No diesel is perfect or cheap to drive. They cost more. But they are worth it in my opinion. I went to a 1500 because I didnt need a diesel and because it would be cheaper to maintain. 8 months and 12k miles later and I am back in a Cummins

Old 05-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Originally Posted by USMC1188 View Post
Interesting, I still am not 100% sure how that would be possible, but then again, I have never had to deal with that issue, so I completely believe that it could happen.

Thanks for the info though
I haven't researched it enough to give a good answer, so I can only go on the posts that I have read...All I know is that fuel is injected on the exhaust stroke during regen. It looks like I may have some reading to do. I've never been concerned with the process, but now I'm curious.. I've just seen countless "Cummins making oil" posts... :-)