Class Action 6.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
SOOOO you're thinking about filing a class action suit against a company that has to comply with mandates from the federal government?

I guess all drivers of 2nd gen Rams should file class actions against Dodge for complying with federal EPA mandates during the 90's regarding their plastic dashboards.

It's ludicrous.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I don't see it going to far as it says in the book to avoid idling and such

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
SOOOO you're thinking about filing a class action suit against a company that has to comply with mandates from the federal government?

I guess all drivers of 2nd gen Rams should file class actions against Dodge for complying with federal EPA mandates during the 90's regarding their plastic dashboards.

It's ludicrous.

While I do understand where you're coming from. If this were the case, anyone could make a defective product and simply cry foul because they had to follow certain federal laws and regulations, and not have to take responsibility or be held accountable for the product themselves.

If you can't comply and make a quality product, don't make it.

ELEVOFF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
While I do understand where you're coming from. If this were the case, anyone could make a defective product and simply cry foul because they had to follow certain federal laws and regulations, and not have to take responsibility or be held accountable for the product themselves.

If you can't comply and make a quality product, don't make it.

I agree completely. When I bought this truck I knew I would be driving at 5 miles an hour for a lot of work I do. Yes i need the tourqe. I really don't let it idle much at all (I shouldn't have to worry about that anyway). I think they should tell people this truck has to drive on the highway every day to comply with EPA regs before people buy it. 1500 mile oil change intervals is redickulousness. It's pretty sorry that I have to use my 97 F250 7.3l around the farm because I'm worried about useing the bran new dodge due to oil contaminates. Stupid...

ELEVOFF

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
What about power companies, rail companies or whoever has to let the truck idle for long periods of time? Are they satisfied with 1500 mile oil changes?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I agree completely. When I bought this truck I knew I would be driving at 5 miles an hour for a lot of work I do. Yes i need the tourqe. I really don't let it idle much at all (I shouldn't have to worry about that anyway). I think they should tell people this truck has to drive on the highway every day to comply with EPA regs before people buy it. 1500 mile oil change intervals is redickulousness. It's pretty sorry that I have to use my 97 F250 7.3l around the farm because I'm worried about useing the bran new dodge due to oil contaminates. Stupid...

Its not in bold letters on the visor but the certainly don't hide it
By simply driving your vehicle at highway speeds for as
little as 45 minutes, you can remedy the condition in the
particulate filter system and allow your Cummins®
diesel engine and exhaust after-treatment system to remove
the trapped PM and restore the system to normal
operating condition.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Getting rid of my 2500 for this reason and other issues

Hello Guys,

I have decided I give up fighting RAM!!

I have had this problem in the last 3 months 1600 miles between oil changes even though I was running up/down interstate at speeds 60-80.

My truck has had numerous O2 sensor problems,2 ecm's replaced 3 reflashes.

I went threw the process with the star ********!

Got phone call today they refused to do anything,they did offer to make 1 payment since my truck has been in the shop for a total of 30 days in 1 year.

My dealer tried to help to a point but their hands are tied with no support from RAM for solutions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tonight I traded my truck!!!

My time is worth money since I am self employed,and life is to short,the aggrevation of having to deal with this is just not worth it.

I have been down the lemon brick road before twice one GM and 2 99 dodge intrepids with vibration problems and got satisfaction that time,but that was 20 and 14 years ago and I choose not to do it again !!

I tried my damndest to get away from the dodge/RAM/chrysler group today after driving GMC2500 Duramax,vw toureg tdi, MB sprinter,Mb GL 350 bluetec,BMW X5 DI.

Today I settled on a Jeep Grand Cherokee eco Diesel as a short term solution while I work to import a VW Amorak TDI.

The Jeep I drove and I purchased is a beauty, I hope to take delivery late today or Saturday morning.

I will post some pics.

Here is a letter for your amusement,that I gave my dealer,area rep and sent to RAM

Ram Case #2417xxxx

1) Vibration in passenger seat when no one is sitting in it ALL Speeds.

Seat vibrates like crack ***** in church going threw with drawl

Vibration felt in steering wheel, seats and floor 35- 80 mph.

My self trying to cure this problem since new, rotated the tires by hand @ 5k.

and torque lug nuts to 135LB ft with torque wrench.

I have tried adjusting air pressure 5 PSI +/- Recommend pressure no help.

Dealer (Conway Dodge)did oil change at or about 10K I took the truck to Main St. Car Care(Jr. Todd) the tires were rebalanced and lug nuts torque by hand (NO AIR IMPACT USED DURING INSTALL)

Took truck to dealer 11/5/13 Dealer cannot duplicate ??

Dealer comments all trucks are the same with this vibration.

Internet forums confirm lots of people having same problem dealers cannot fix.

2) Clunk in drive train when shifting from R to D at complete stop.

Clunk also occurs say approaching a traffic light you take your foot from the accelerator,

then the light changes before you get to complete stop, when you press the accelerator to begin

Acceleration there is (thud or clunk)!

Dealer could not duplicate on 11/5/13 comments all trucks are the same with this clunk

Internet forums confirm lots of people having same problem dealers cannot fix.

3) I have had problems with O2 sensors since day 1, DID NOT MAKE IT HOME THE DAY OF

DELIVERY LESS THAN 1 MILE FROM DEALERSHIP WHEN I HAD FIRST O2 SENSOR PROBLEM!!

I returned to the dealer minutes later after accepting delivery of my RAM.

Sensors on back order because of numerous customers having O2 sensor problems, great news for new owners!!

I have had 3-4 Incidents with O2 SENSORS, ECM REFLASH attempted by Hendricks of Charleston when I had O2 sensor problem while on business.

Dealer replaced ECM because OEM ECM could not be reflashed Less than 2K miles on new truck.

Spent my business day at dealership!!

The 3rd O2 sensor problem occurred at about 2,500 miles, Conway Dodge repaired.

Problems with EVIC telling me to change oil after short mileage interval, after oil change has occurred 2 times, both times with less than 2k between previous oil changes. Both occurred after HWY trips for business driving on interstates at HWY speeds 55-75 mph depending on posted speed limit.

MY truck IS MAKING OIL(actually unburnt Diesel fuel) contaminating crank case oil making level rise on dip stick. This is getting worse and mileage alert is going down, before EVIC sends "CHANGE OIL ALERT"

This BS Diesel must be driven (Diesels Were not MEANT to daily driver vehicles) to avoid DPF REGENS and DPF and CAT from clogging IS pure BS.

My wife currently driving 2013 VW TDI DIESEL her second one has not had any problems driving mostly city driving while getting 42.5 mpg!!

My VW I own in Germany has never had problems with air pollution equipment.

This DPF REGEN crap decided it was a good idea to put unburnt fuel ( acceptable level of contamination) and soot into the crankcase of the motor is crazy!!

This RAM is currently my 4th Diesel car/truck that I currently own, not counting diesel tractor and diesel lawn mower.

THE RAM IS THE ONLY VEHICLE I OWN HAVING THESE PROBLEMS WITH ALL THE AIR POLLUTION CRAP AND BAD MILEAGE!!!!!

My mileage has dropped since break in!!

HAND CALCULATION OF MPGs not the LIE-OMETER EVIC has dropped 4MPG HWY!

On my last round trip to Fishkill NY and back to 13.6mpg HWY

My mileage with less than 4k was 14-16 city and 18-19hwy hand calculated I thought this was great for new, not broken in 3/4 ton 4x4. I fully expected my mileage to get better after break in period!!

My Mileage has only gotten worse with mileage on the odometer!!!

I knew the motor would loosen up a bit, after break in period and get somewhat louder.

My motor has gotten loud to the point of going threw drive in service I have to yell so they can hear me, or I must turn off my truck.

My truck DOES NOT sit and idle for long periods of time.

As with any vehicle I have owned in the past 38 years I start the vehicle to allow the oil time to fully circulate in the motor before pulling off.

I can only conclude that RAM KNOWS of all the issues with their Diesels since they have now gone away from DPF to DEF system and I understand they are having problems as well with DEF system.

Dealer comments all trucks are the same with these problems with associated with air pollution equipment.

Internet forums confirm lots of people having same problems dealers cannot fix.

I think the manufacture RAM has eluded facing KNOW issues by playing the numbers game(odds)

that they will have lower customer complaints than people not pursuing problems with their vehicles because Dealers hands are tied by RAM the manufacture.

People who pursue problems they are having with new under warranty vehicles simply getting tired of hearing WE CANNOT DUPLICATE THE PROBLEM and do 1 of 2 things trade or sell problem vehicle or live with the issues until they can afford to get rid of problem vehicle.

Neither of these remedies could be good for dealer’s sales and reputation and brand loyalty!!

Me a pissed off consumer wants vehicle fixed.

I must say my Dealer, Conway Dodge, Mr. David service manager and his service team have provide excellent service with regards to my problems I have encounter so far with this RAM to a point.

They are not getting support or answers to these known problems by RAM the manufacture.

The plain and simple truth is Manufactures do their best to avoid spending any money after the sale of said item, to fix know problems and the poor consumer is left with the junk they produce in spite of having manufactures warranty.

Most warranties these days DO NOT appear to be worth the paper they are printed on and could be substituted in place of toilet paper!!

I Donald R XXXXXXXX do here by put RAM on notice this is your final attempt to repair these know defects, my recourse is the BBB, Consumer Affairs, Local News Consumer Advocate, and Lemon Law Attorney.

Ram your remedy is simple fix it, replace it or refund my money plus time lost from my business !!

Regards

Donald R xxxxxxxx 11/12/13

Last edited:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Don,
Sorry to hear that they could not get you truck running like it is supposed to. It sounds to me they replaced everything except the DPF system, which to me, sounds like the main culprit to almost all your issues. I know that there are plenty of RAM HDs running DPF and DEF systems without issue but when you have a problem and the Mfr won't fix it, having a warranty doesn't mean too much.... Just ask me how I feel about Nissan :favorites68: That truck showed me that when it comes to the really big stuff, having a warranty doesn't mean much if they won't address that actual part causing the problems.

Anyways, congrats on the Jeep GC!! The eco-diesels are sweet rides. I hope it treats you much better than the RAM. Can't wait to see pics!!

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Thanks Greg,
I too had problems with Nissan after they replaced timing chain and guides in my frontier at 45K.

After they did the recall the truck was never the same, it used excessive amounts of oil, they the dealer refused to make it right. No codes no problems was their chant!!

Greg thanks for your help much appreciated info on the delete you did.

Greg check your PM please.

BennyHanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
If its used as a diesel should be used it'll be fine. If you bought it just to have a diesel and no other reason. You've got a problem.

This has me worried. I bought a diesel because I work in the oilfield and 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks seem to hold up better on the rough roads that I frequently travel. I bought a diesel because there isn't any use in buying a heavy duty gasser (imo, I'm sure I'll hear from the gasser crowd on that).

Although, I do work about 500+ miles from home so the vast majority of my driving is interstate, although I very rarely tow anything at this time.

Am I going to have problems?

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
This has me worried. I bought a diesel because I work in the oilfield and 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks seem to hold up better on the rough roads that I frequently travel. I bought a diesel because there isn't any use in buying a heavy duty gasser (imo, I'm sure I'll hear from the gasser crowd on that).

Although, I do work about 500+ miles from home so the vast majority of my driving is interstate, although I very rarely tow anything at this time.

Its pretty unlikely. The issues described in this thread related mostly to the 'DPF only' systems of the '07.5 to '12 trucks. The '13s and up have DPF+SCR which seem to be much less prone to buildup in the exhaust.

Plus, that 500 mile drive will be more than enough to 'clear the pipes' even if you aren't towing anything.

Sent from my LG 8.3 GPe

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
I actually have an 11, I live on a ranch, and spend lots of time idling/travelling at low speeds ,etc. I have yet to have an early oil change light, and I don't have any more dilution than I have had with diesels in the past.

I am not sure exactly how the regen system is set up for RAM, but I know with some manufacturers the truck only enters regen if you are above a certain speed. This is based on the fact that regen takes a certain amount of time, and traveling at high speeds is about the best way to assume you have enough time. If you fail a regen, you get fuel wash. If you fail lots of regens, you get lots of wash, and lots of dilution, and if you drive your truck in town to work every day you probably get going just fast enough to start a regen, and then fail it A LOT.

texas07461

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Re your post

I know a ton of people who started experiencing the same type of issues.
I do know from past encounters that a diesel engine had a purpose, to be WORKED. A Cummins needs to be either worked or "beat on it" a bit.
If your not working it then hot rod it a little. Ya gotta get that engine hot enough to regen and keep the all clean.
CATS have some of the same issues if you just baby it.

As far as the oil, if you had an analysis done they should be able to tell you what is in the oil. If the local dodge dealer either can't or won't go to a Semi truck dealer, as long as they have the equipment and are cummins certified it won't hurt any warranty. They will tell you what's in the oil.

I'm a diesel mechanic by trade and my experience with "making" oil indicates an internal engine issue. It could be fuel, coolant or both...
Fuel contamination will literally kill that motor as it breaks down the oil and acts like a solvent... so have it checked..
Good luck and I hope you get her fixed :)

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi

Of course you will, you know the old saying " If it has **** or a motor its going to cause problems!"