Which DEF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jk6672

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I need a little advice on DEF, I have 2.2k miles on mine and I need to start thinking about which DEF to use. Which brand do you guys use? A buddy of mine also has a 3500, and he said I better us Ultrapure or I'm asking for problems. He said his system needed to be replaced because he didn't use Ultrapure from the get go. Is there any truth to sticking to certain brands?

archerr2002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015 CTD with just about 16K on it. I have been using Blue DEF with no problems since day 1.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have a 2014 3500, and I have used about a dozen different types over the 2 years, found no difference between one or the other. Just make sure you look at the production date as DEF has a shelf life. But it is VERY easy to empty the DEF tank if you think your getting on the bad side of the shelf life. I have emptied mine once took about 5 minutes that was after about 12 months of the DEF in the tank, I know people will say I didn't need to empty it but at the price of DEF its easier to dump year old DEF than have to worry about it crystalizing in the tank and system.

FireRob

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 DRW Longhorn
Engine
Cummins 6.7 AISIN 4.10
I have had two differnt trucks that used DEF, in both I have used at least three different brands of DEF when using it from a jug. I have filled up at several gas stations and truck stops and had no clue what "brand" I was pumping into my tank. So far knock on wood not a single problem with DEF issues. If I was low and needed to add some I wouldn't hesitate based on brand. When I first got my first DEF truck I would try and locate the manufactured date or expiration date on the box (if I could even find it) and get the "fresh stuff". That lasted about a year and now I just grab one off the self and don't bother looking for a date.

BWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Blue DEF has been working for me what I've put it in

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There are only a couple manufacturers of Def. Most of it is just branding and comes from the same tanks.

Just make sure it's reasonably fresh and you're good.

Wally Turner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L. I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I have a 2014 1500 crew cab 4 x 4 with the ecodiesel. I have been using Blue Def since I bought the truck with 82,000 miles on it. It now has 119,00 and still purring.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There are truck stops(some geared towards local delivery semis) that sells DEF from a pump, that is usually the best bet for least expensive and freshest DEF available.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I wondered the same thing when I got my 6.7 CTD so on the recommendation of many here I went with the walmart brand and have not had any problems. I can't see spending almost $5 more just to buy name brand Blue DEF.
I do squeeze the jugs to make sure they are sealed before I buy them.

BahlSacke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Whatevers cheapest/most convenient. I figure its basically just goat **** anyways, can't image theres much difference between brands.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Unlike motor oil, there are no additives, custom formulations, or enhancements with DEF. It is 32.5% Urea, and 67.5% DI Water. Period. If the date code is fresh, it is clear in appearance , not cloudy, pour it in. Paying more for a fancy label just lightens your wallet.

ljmasonwy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I usually get my DEF at the SEMI pumps at my local Flying J... their system is a pain in the ass because it wants you to enter mileage if its for the semi or ****** and a bunch of other BS and I can only get the DEF not diesel... however, last week I stopped at the Sinclair Truck Stop instead and filled the DEF... 30 miles later I got the "5 MPH Max Speed in 150 mi Service DEF System See Dealer." It sat at the dealer for 4 days until they could get to it, and they said it showed Contaminated DEF. Back to the Flying J.

RamItFaster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500 Tradesman
Engine
Cummins
Truck Stops with lots of traffic, for me it's right on the I-5 so I know that DEF is always being cycled through. 3 dollars at the pump, but sitting right next to the cash registers are 5 gallon boxes for 20 bucks, I'll take the pump thanks lol

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Contaminated DEF is an erroneous error message from the DEF emissions system. There is no special sensor to measure contaminents in the DEF.

It is only important to keep DEF within the recommended temperature range and not exposed to sunlight. But the dealers I have seen with DEF get it in very large transluscent plastic tanks that sit outside on a pallet and exposed to sun every day.

The problem I have had with the truckstops is that the DEF nozzles are designed for a large DEF saddle tank and the volume of the output is far higher than the filler neck capacity on my truck.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I've been driving so little for the last 6 months I'm still running on the 2.5 gallon jug I put in back in Nov. Still have about 1/2 tank of DEF left.
I'll probably just buy 1 gallon jugs at wallyworld next time I need to add some. They're only $4.42 and it'll probably last another 6 months.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Contaminated DEF is an erroneous error message from the DEF emissions system. There is no special sensor to measure contaminents in the DEF.

This is erroneous. There is most certainly a DEF quality sensor as part of the DEF pump module in the tank. There are 4 components in the DEF pump module; pump to make the pressure, level sensor, heater and quality sensor. I think it was the 2015 that needed an update to the ECM due to throwing incorrect DEF quality messages. The DEF quality sensor is the red finger-like things in the photo below. They float in the DEF and an electrical signal passes through the DEF in the tank. Contaminates and other DEF quality issues change the signal is then interpreted by the computer and a message is raised if outside of certain parameters.

The ********* thing in the middle is the heater, the bluish / greenish white thing in the lower left is the level sensor and the pump is on the bottom (not shown).

$_57.jpg

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I usually buy Peak BlueDEF because I know how to read the date code to make sure it is fresh. All I can says is take care of your DEF pump module with good quality DEF. I just went through a 2+ week nightmare when my DEF pump went out. Not sure is was due to crappy DEF but I did get some truck stop DEF about a month before it went out. The OEM part is on National backorder, not sure when it will be in stock. I called 50 dealers to see if they had one on the shelf. Spectra Premium makes an aftermarket one but they are on backorder with no date due in from their manufacturer. Cardone rebuilds them but their lead time is 2 - 4 weeks after they receive it. There are a bunch of "refurbished" ones on Ebay but they appear to be just rinse off and then sold. Most OEM ones in the sealed package are going for $1,200 to $1,500. Not sure where they are "acquiring" them but they are usually from sellers that don't deal in auto parts.

R7eQs9CLgW9YbMq2RrgpSbC74jUghcXPNL7N0ojVuqxbJUOUm3LqAfwmRSJj82hQKm25Pjc-DbGcPW6VZFcb0iSWvDc