Exhaust ?? for 2014 Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McGrizzENS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
New to the forum and already have some slightly noobish questions.

I have a 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins and have already gotten that Mod itch getting to me. I have been looking at exhaust systems and was wondering, if i were to get a filter back exhaust would I still need to reflash the ecu with a tune or could i get away with it and not negatively affect the performance of the truck? I know with most turboed cars I have dealt with before, even newer ones, you could basically get away with a catback exhaust system and have little to no effect on the car's performance since the downpipe from the turbo and cat is left unchanged which maintains the correct flow and designed back-pressure for the stock or current tune and not have any boost creep or spiking with the turbo. Also, if i wasnt overseas i'd probably ask the dealership mechanics this but, to what extent can I get away with modding besides a cosmetic exhaust upgrade without it negating my warranty. I know with my suby i could actually do alot more than i would have ever thought without it effecting the warranty. I have heard that they are touchy with new Rams. I appreciate any and all info. God bless.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
With the filters that are there you wont see an improvement in performance and hardly even any change in sound with a DPF back exhaust
There arent to many products even out for the 13/14s cause they are pretty locked down and relatively new to the market
S&B makes a cold air intake that allows you to keep the factory "ram air" function
My buddy has one on his 13 that gave him a little more whistle and really brought out the sound of the exhaust brake

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
whether they're touchy or not, if you own the truck you can modify it and not void the warranty unless the modification directly causes the failure. Even then, if something completely unrelated happens after a mod has caused the failure, that portion of your warranty is still intact.

Mod to your heart's content and within whatever laws you choose to follow, but remember to put the stock tune back on the truck any time it goes in.

The only thing I would imagine would be a for sure warranty breaker would be a DPF delete kit, since there are a lot of ways to lie and blame certain failures on it.

OP
OP
M

McGrizzENS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thank you for the input gents. MBRP has a couple neat exhaust systems. I'm not really expecting to see any performance improvement with it I just want to know that I can do it without throwing a million trouble codes and such. I know intakes have a larger affect on performance than just a filter back exhaust but I want a dual exhaust which is what I am going for.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
whether they're touchy or not, if you own the truck you can modify it and not void the warranty unless the modification directly causes the failure. Even then, if something completely unrelated happens after a mod has caused the failure, that portion of your warranty is still intact.

Mod to your heart's content and within whatever laws you choose to follow, but remember to put the stock tune back on the truck any time it goes in.

The only thing I would imagine would be a for sure warranty breaker would be a DPF delete kit, since there are a lot of ways to lie and blame certain failures on it.

There is one problem though, there is no delete capable tuning for 2013+ trucks. The only two "tuners" available are The TS performance Stryker module and Bullydog, neither of which will allow removal of the egr system or exhaust.

Thank you for the input gents. MBRP has a couple neat exhaust systems. I'm not really expecting to see any performance improvement with it I just want to know that I can do it without throwing a million trouble codes and such. I know intakes have a larger affect on performance than just a filter back exhaust but I want a dual exhaust which is what I am going for.
As mentioned before, the only things that you can do to your truck without throwing codes and going into limp mode are the intake and DPF back exhaust, but neither will yield any performance gains. At around $900 all you are getting is a new tailpipe and a new intake that will allow you to hear the turbo better.
If you are looking for any performance gain I would save your money on the tailpipe and intake and put it towards the TS stryker or wait a while to see if the aftermarket comes out with anything. You probably won't ever see any emission removed tuning for your truck, but probably more along the lines of EPA friendly higher flowing DPF systems..... or a complete revamp of the emission equipment.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Edge makes their Juice w/ Attitude for 13-14s now as well, Id feel the most comfortable running this tuner then the other two mentioned

I would say there will be delete capable options eventually, I wouldnt hold my breath for it though

OP
OP
M

McGrizzENS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Right, as i said before. With a DPF back exhaust I know it is purely cosmetic and yields no real performance gains I just wanted to make sure that I wouldnt throw any trouble codes with it. I didnt think it would but it'd be a pain in the ass to strap a filter back dual exhaust and then have to take it off because it made a sensor somewhere unhappy. Eventually i would like to put an intake and full exhaust on the truck as well as reflash it with a reputable tuner but I think i will wait for my warranty to go up and for the truck to age before hand, because then I am sure I will be trying to do the full EGR delete and probably more plus it will give a better time lapse for the better stuff to emerge in the market.

OP
OP
M

McGrizzENS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Edge makes their Juice w/ Attitude for 13-14s now as well, Id feel the most comfortable running this tuner then the other two mentioned

I would say there will be delete capable options eventually, I wouldnt hold my breath for it though

Stangshcky, if that pic is your truck, I just had to say how awesome it is. Seems well balanced. How much lift and what sized tires?? Haha sorry not trying to change topics here it's just that your truck's stance is basically what I am going for (or something close to it) with my truck

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
My buddies going through the same thing with his '13
I convinced him to just put a nice tip on it

That trucks actually my girlfriends
It has a 2" leveling kit and 315/70/17 tires on it

This ones mine, 2.75" progressive springs and 285/75/17 tires
807-A76FC4BA307F-3597-0000023DEA985BD0_zpsf7cae6f2.jpg

OP
OP
M

McGrizzENS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yall have good taste. Man after seeing your truck I almost feel like a 6" lift and tires is going to be a bit too much. Want the truck to remain practical and able to tow still.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
4th gens are such bulky trucks to start that they look awesome with 2.5"-3" in the front
This is my buddies '13 I keep referring to, he has a Carli leveling kit which is just shy of 3". Once he gets some bigger rubber it'll look awesome
10d81db5b5a5032fa22f8cac74b4fefe.jpg

Thuren fab makes a spring for the '14s, I'd have to think Carli will have something soon too

OP
OP
M

McGrizzENS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Wow you ain't kidding. Yeah even stock my truck definitely still has an impressive stance. I will definitely look into said leveling kits.