First oil filter removal very hard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MyTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Doing my first oil change and having difficulty in removing the oil filter in my 6.7L. Seems like the factory tightened it too much. Is it better to warm up the engine hopefully loosen the gasket or change it while it is cold? Any tricks out there?

Carlo

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've done all kinds of things.... big ass channel-locks, rubber gripper, and if all else fails, a screwdriver through the side for extra leverage. Just remember there are varying amounts of mess.

You're not trying to save the old filter so it's OK to get nasty with it.

tsc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty common for all engines; regardless of make or model. --- They all must hire the same gorilla to put on oil filters.

My '03 Ford F-150, I had to do the screwdriver trick and my wife's Kia I had to use a rubber wrench strap.

No real tricks, just make sure you don't damage the engine side and that the whole seal from the old filter comes off.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Good advice there. Get an oil filter wrench. That will help.

Just make sure you take a bit of old oil and spread it across the new filter's gasket before you put it on and it doesn't need to be torqued down very hard to seal.

JeepN77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just did my first oil change last weekend. 7,200 miles. I took apart the air intake and reached down with a medium sized adjustable filter pliers and got to it. Wasn't too bad. I got lucky, the oil settled down in the filter so it didn't make a mess when I pulled it out. Put the new one in place full, and I somehow managed to get two hands on the new one and tightened it that way.

Good luck, after the first one you should be fine!

JaredRAM2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
HEMI, not a Cummins, but my filter was torqued by the hand of Zeus!

I eventually found a strap wrench (metal strap that gets tighter as you turn it) in my tool cabinet that worked... a 1/128 turn at a time...