First trouble with '11 6.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So today I am at the beer store. I stop and talk with a friend a moment after I turn off the engine.

When I start it again the dummy check engine light comes on, gear indicator shows "4" and will come out of "4".

It also will barely move so I shut back off, check fluids and all OK.
When I restart it no longer shows "4" but the check engine indicator light remains on.

I did fill up a couple days ago with about 15 gallons of diesel, but had not driven it since then until today.
It seems to drive ok, no issues other then the light is on. And, for what it is worth, 17,500+ miles on it.

I am thinking maybe O2 sensor/s? Thoughts?

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
Get OBDII code reader and pull the error codes.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
With new trucks your best bet is to have the code scanned and go from there

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Good advice. I can hit the stealership on Monday.

Thanks, guys.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Your local advanced auto or autozone etc would be able to read it as well

Ocelot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I highly recommend everyone pick up there own OBDII scanner. Warranty repairs aren't problem, but they can save you a bundle by having an idea in advance what the problem is prior to bringing it to a garage.

For example, several years back, my wife's Voyager minivan broke down and would only run bad cold for a few minutes and would buck and die when warm. I wasn't home and a garage told her some bogus crap about a several hundred dollar repair. I pulled the codes and after a few Google searches, determined it was just a $40 or so crankshaft position sensor that was bad and took me like a half hour to replace on ramps in my driveway.

Sure, Autozone, etc, will do it for free, but sometimes you can't get it there. The prices on code readers have come down a lot and you can get a cheep one for like $25.00. Here's an example:
http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-Diagnostic-Vehicles/dp/B001LHVOVK/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1338758804&sr=1-1

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Or there's always the key dance... off-run-off-run-off-run and leave it there. Do not move it to the start position. You cannot clear them with the key dance, but it'll show them at least.

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I loathe all these modern gadgets.

Last night I played the key dance, nothing came up.

This morning I went to run down to the diner for breakfast, no check engine light. Headed to the stealership first thing in the am.

Appreciate you suggestions, fellas.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Did the key dance give you the horizontal line across the center like --------??

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No, it did nothing different. :shrug: I have an appointment to have the front something something something tranmission seal replaced, I will just have them give it the looksy when it is in.

I am fairly confident the code should still be present even without a dummy light. It will at least be in the history, so I will have some type of answer I think. Hope.

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, the dealership was not able to uncover anything.

They called it a "glitch."

Go figure. :shrug:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
that sucks, because now you have to worry if it will happen again.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
If you are looking for a good scan tool I sell them for 70 bucks

Actron PocketScan OBD II & CAN Code Reader

PocketScan Plus is the most advanced, powerful and compact code reader available! DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) and descriptions are just a start of the tasks it can handle. PocketScan Plus also provides Freeze Frame data, VIN info and performs the important task of (I/M) Inspection maintenance-readiness testing by displaying the I/M readiness monitor status. Great for use before and after repairs are made. The small size makes it perfect for easy storage and use.

Benefits and Features:
Automatically reads DTCs when connected for fast diagnostics
Displays OBDII generic code definitions
Reads and displays DTCs
Erases DTCs
Reads and displays MIL status
Reads and displays I/M monitors
Reads and displays pending codes
Reads and displays freeze frame data
Reads and displays VIN (easy way to check vehicle ID number)
OBD II cable (attached), manual included

General Benefits:
Diagnose and maintain vehicle
View vehicle emissions data
Over 4,000 generic code definitions
Compatible with ALL 1996 and newer vehicles (OBD II & CAN)
Reset MIL and turn off the
Check Engine Light
Backlit display

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Thanks Adam , you are correct

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ended up with a similar issue, dealer loaded truck up and shipped to Cummins. Came back to me nine days later right as rain.

Kudos to both my stealership for admitting it was over their heads, and Cummins for calling down the thunder and fixing her up. I told them I needed it straight away for a vacation and was not disappointed. We leave on Wed.

I am indeed a very very satified RAM and Cummins customer once again.

OP
OP
hounddog

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
so what ended up being the problem?

Apparently the EGR/DFP somehow communicates the the computer? They were not doing that properly so it was not regenning at all (22,000 miles and it had never once regenned) and the filter was over 90% full. Wiring harness was bad, and I had an exhaust leak which apparently happened during the build at the Cummins plant.

Somehow all these things combined to put the truck in "limp mode" and not allow it to come out of 4th gear.

I was told the engine was also not making spec limit torque, this was fixed with a new turbo, but I honestly cannot tell that much of a difference. I did notice I can hear the new turbo more then before, which is pretty cool!

Once thing I had noticed before was that when I started it cold it would chug and not run smoothly for about 3-5 minutes: now it purrs like a kitten from the time it starts.

Also and lastly, it was loud. Really loud, like quite literally twice as loud as my dads is. This has also been remedied.

They also vacuumed and washed it. :waytogo:

Unfortunately, they found a leak from a seal in the front part of the transmission and I plan to have that repaired upon my return from vacation. It is very small, but I had wondered why I had a tiny slick on my painted garage floor. Now I know.

Last edited:

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
Glad to hear it got taken care of!