High Output?? How do you tell the difference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillisRanches

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I have been looking a many forums for this answer. The only answer so far is look at the tailgate, if it has the HO badge it's a HO. But here is the problem, my dad's truck has a flatbed on it. And no it wasn't chassis cab, the previous owner bought it with a bed then later installed the bed. Is there anyway to find out which engine it is by VIN or in the Engine bay? Thanks for your replies

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If it was made in 2011.5 and beyond, it's a HO. In order to tell, look on the side of the door for the manufacturing date and if it was made on Jan 1, 2011 or later it is a HO.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I believe the valve cover may say something as well as the mfg. sticker on the door

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If it was made in 2011.5 and beyond, it's a HO. In order to tell, look on the side of the door for the manufacturing date and if it was made on Jan 1, 2011 or later it is a HO.

Pretty sure that's not entirely true, the HO was (and may well still be I honestly don't know) an option for the second half of 2011.

Also, I don't remember for certain but I believe the rear diff (might have been transmission I just can't remember) has added heat sink "ribs" for increased cooling capacity.