idle rough and then no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TX_SHOCKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
truck is a 2010 2500 cummins with the 6.7
Ok so yesterday I got some fuel ( yes Diesel lol ) and got about $20 worth. Tank was at 1/8 before I got fuel. After I put the little bit in I drove a few errands without an issue. Came home and it sat for about 1 1/2 hours and then I went out to eat and it started just fine. Well at one red light the truck idled rough ( kinda like an engine with a big loping cam) but as soon as I started driving it was fine. I pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant and it was really running rough but still drivable. I gave it a little rev and it sounded like it wasnt running on all 6 cyclenders. I shut it off and went inside and ate. Came back out and no start :( it would crank over just fine and it acted like it wanted to start but no go. I drained the diesel from the filter thinking maybe there is some water in it. i did that 2 or three times but still no start.
Any suggestions?
I have very limited hand tools and only scanner i have is my H&S tuner which is not picking up any codes.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
puked fuel or lift pump

OP
OP
T

TX_SHOCKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm hoping thats all it is! In between starts i drained my fuel filter and while i had it open i had the gf crank it over it to make sure fuel was getting there and it was, now it wasnt spraying out with a lot of pressure so maybe it was enough to fill but not enough to run. on my H&S tuner it was saying i has 30lbs on my fuel but while cranking i have no idea because it shuts off at that time. Im getting it towed to the dealer hopefully today so we will see.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Maybe try draining the fuel filter and filling it with fresh diesel from another station it's possible the station had some gas pumped into the diesel tank it's happend in reveres at my local station.

OP
OP
T

TX_SHOCKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Just a quick update, it was dirty diesel ( actually it was gasoline that had been pumped into the diesel tank at the gas station ) have my insurance involved and im right in the middle of everything. Ill post update with how this goes so if anyone else has to go through this at least they can kinda know what to expect.

OP
OP
T

TX_SHOCKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
CAM00601.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CAM00603.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CAM00602.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
wtf!? they put gasoline in the diesel pump tanks?

I imagine the gas station would be liable for damages?

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Great info! Thanks for the update.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Wow!!! I can't believe it. I imagine that there are a bunch of folks in the same boat as you now. Please keep is posted on how this progresses. It should be easy to prove that the station had gas in their diesel tank.

OP
OP
T

TX_SHOCKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Ok, been busy (sorry) but truck is back running! Insurance was on the verge of telling me they were not going to cover it because it "falls under their negligence caluse" and even though I wasnt the one being negligent, it falls back on the fueling station and thats something I was going to have to confront and handle on my own. Well I requested a manager and then when they talked to me, suddenly their mind changed lol. I let them have an earful! What did it was when the manager was saying how it falls under negligence yada yada and I interupted him and said "Ok let me ask you something, you drive right? and when you fill up with fuel do you pull out your fuel checker kit to make sure that the fuel you are about to put in your vehicle is on spec? no contamination? Do you know what that specifaction is ?? " he of course said "well no sir, their is no way to be able to do all of that " and then he kinda laughed.... I said " so your telling me im getting insurance advice from a negligent motor vehicle operator who is running my insurance claim, and happens to be a manager of this insurance that must be extremly negligent if they allow you to be in charge of people and handle claims and tell me that im being negligent, when in fact you are being negligent yourself!?"
He was completly quiet after that for a moment, then told me he was going to talk to a few people and call me right back. He calls me back 5 min later and tells me the good news that they are going to cover this now.
:D
Thr truck had to have tank and all lines flushed, all new injectors, fuel pump, and crossover line. Tottal came out to be $7570 ( or something close to that)
I have a 2 year warranty with everything they did.
I also finally got my email from the Texas Department of Agriculture and here is a picture of the diesel sample they pulled.
Screenshot_2015-04-26-14-21-25.png
Screenshot_2015-04-26-14-43-54.png

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Glad they covered your repairs and you got you truck running again!!