Lots of problems.. Turbo shot.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BennyHanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So a few weeks ago my truck threw a check engine light. The temp that morning was -25F. The truck seemed to run fine, so I drove it and called the dealership. They couldn't get me in for about 10 days, so I went to auto zone and checked the fault codes. The first one was for Ambient Air Temp sensor and the other one didn't come up in their database. I decided to clear the codes and see if they came back. They didn't. At the same time, my navigation got lost and showed me several hundred miles away (which this is the 3rd time this has happened) so I did a restart on that as well and the navigation button just disappeared on the display.

So 10 days later I get my truck in the shop and had to fly out for work for a few weeks. The dealership has had my truck now for 9 days and I just talked with them.

They say the turbo is shot. Replacement is $7000, fortunately fully covered under warranty. I have around 18-19,000 miles on the truck. Strange thing is I didn't notice from driving it, granted I drive like a grandpa most of the time. Has anyone else had this problem?

They are also replacing the head unit, parts for that are on order as well. I've heard of others having problems with their Nav getting lost and showing them someplace else, but I haven't heard of anyone having the issue multiple times. I could be wrong though.

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Now there is something to look forward too, less than 20k and a new turbo, Ridiculous! Really hope that yours is a isolated incident.
Good luck.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
There have been lots of reports of the vgt turbos sooting up to the point that they need to be replaced on the pre '13 6.7s. Seems most common on trucks that idle for long periods of time... same as clogged DPF issues. Turning on the exhaust brake is said to help keep the turbo from sooting up.

To the OP... $7000 to replace the turbo??? That seems awful high. Are they replacing replacing else?

Last edited:

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There have been lots of reports of the vgt turbos sooting up to the point that they need to be replaced on the pre '13 6.7s. Seems most common on trucks that idle for long periods of time... same as clogged DPF issues. Turning on the exhaust brake is said to help keep the turbo from sooting up.

To the OP... $7000 to replace the turbo??? That seems awful high. Are they replacing replacing else?

Gotta love the dealer prices. That $7000 does seem high. Seeing what others have posted about their quotes, it should be closer to $3500 for a turbo replacement. Still ridiculous. I wonder if that includes the head unit as well.

jayhuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm a cummins dealer. If you can get me a part number i can get the dealer net price. Or better yet if i had an ESN# i could look it up.

Just a thought.... It's a slow day at work..... Big snow storm

OP
OP
B

BennyHanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
As far as the price goes, everything is being covered under warranty. Its just what the service manager mentioned while on the phone. I don't really care what it cost them, as long as its fixed.

In other news, parts arrived today. They hope to have it done by Saturday.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
As far as the price goes, everything is being covered under warranty. Its just what the service manager mentioned while on the phone. I don't really care what it cost them, as long as its fixed.

In other news, parts arrived today. They hope to have it done by Saturday.

Did you get your truck back yet?

OP
OP
B

BennyHanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Did you get your truck back yet?

Got it back a week ago Saturday. Nav was still screwed up. Back in on Monday. Nav screwed up again this weekend. Back in today. Considering contacting a lawyer about lemon law.

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
This sounds like the same crap I went through in 2008, to to late 2009.5 with my 08 6.7. From turbo replacements, clogged turbo from soot build up, clogged egr, egr replacement, dpf replacement, catalytic converter replacement, software issues, limp mode issues, and all the issues were emissions only related.Yeah it's nice that everything is under warranty and covered by Chrysler. Just think about your situation after the warranty is up, that's a lot of money out of pocket. If I were you I would go through Rolling Smoke Diesel, offering off road tuner through PPEI EFI AutoCal tuning, also offering transmission tune, off road exhaust, egr/cooler removal with block off plates for 13 to 15 models 6.7 Cummins.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Got it back a week ago Saturday. Nav was still screwed up. Back in on Monday. Nav screwed up again this weekend. Back in today. Considering contacting a lawyer about lemon law.
So the truck is running good, right? Hopefully they get the nav issues figured out soon. What did they replace when you had it in the first time?

OP
OP
B

BennyHanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
So the truck is running good, right? Hopefully they get the nav issues figured out soon. What did they replace when you had it in the first time?

So far since new:
Latch on Mopar soft tonneau cover broke. Tonneau cover shredded and replaced. Not covered under Lemon law but still annoying.

Navigation shows vehicle in a spot 30 - 150 miles away from actual physical location. 5 times.

Navigation disappears from touch screen options. I have the 8.4A head unit so there was no way to access navigation at all.

Turbo and egr cooler shot and replaced.

Total miles currently 19,250. Truck bought 3/31/14.

Now the truck is giving the message "battery saver mode" intermittently while it's running. When I picked it up after the last visit to the dealer it showed this message for the first time. Made the tech come out and look at it, said it was probably due to cold weather and the battery being partially drained from updating the navigation. We restarted the truck and it cleared. Couldn't get it to come back on then. Later that day and the next it came on and of several more times.

OP
OP
B

BennyHanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Sold it today. .. back to a Ford. Tired of trying to deal with Chrysler.

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
Smart man! Gasser or diesel?