New owner - What do I need to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To the OP: I'm in your shoes - just bought my first diesel. I completely understand your sensation about learning all over again. I'm out of my comfort zone yet excited.

I do remember reading in the manual that came with the truck (not the owner's manual, the "intro" guide) that the Cummins is installed "broken in" and there was mention that placing the engine under "load" will assist with proper "fit and finish" to the engine components. Certainly the other components of the driveline need broken in.

This is a great forum with lots of good folks and good information. I am swapping back in the stock air filter - my fuel mileage seems to have dropped like a rock since dropping in the K&N.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Really ? The K&N dropped your MPG's ... thats odd

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've always heard/read that K&N+cummins=poop.

S&B or AFE is all I see

I have heard this too...another forum I am on is loaded with Cummins guys and they are pretty much dead set that the K&N is **** when it comes to Cummins engines.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Really ? The K&N dropped your MPG's ... thats odd

I was also surprised...

I actually noticed the truck ran ROUGHER on the first start-up after installation - perhaps the OBD adjusting to the change in air/fuel mix.

I'm going to yank it and see if I can return it for a refund.

JP03

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003/1964
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I've always heard/read that K&N+cummins=poop.

S&B or AFE is all I see

Really? i have never heard that before and have been running the K&N for 3 years thinking about it i need to clean it :killer: lol

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
DPFs are fun stuff
Break your truck in like you are going to use it the rest of your life IMO
If your going to tow with it, tow with it

One of the biggest things I'm sure you have heard about is the DPF filter clogging. It cleans itself out by going into active or passive regeneration, one uses diesel fuel as a catalyst(active) to burn particulate while the other burns particulate out as the exhaust temperatures are hot enough (600*C or 1200*F) (passive)
The truck doesnt always go into active regen as it should so you should have it passively regenerate every so often to avoid a trip to the dealer in limp mode

Maintenance is pretty standard, fuel filters are very important
Keep an eye on your spark plugs:naughty: and enjoy your new truck!

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Really? i have never heard that before and have been running the K&N for 3 years thinking about it i need to clean it :killer: lol

I ran a K&N in my '97 for over 100K - it served me well and would still be in the truck if I hadn't STUPIDLY hit it with a full stream from my hose while cleaning it. The filter element was destroyed.

I'm pulling this one to see how the truck runs and what happens with the mileage.