New Truck - Check Engine Light - Exhaust Filter 100% Full

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGRed333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel 6.7
.... dude.... sorry.... I wrote a friggin novel here....

I've had my 2013 2500 Cummins Turbo diesel Laramie Mega-cab since July of this year. I've got about 5,700 miles on it. My Check Engine Light (CEL) has been on for a majority of this time; first occurrence on day 3 of ownership, not even 300 miles on the truck. I cannot get my local dealer (LD) to do anything about it. They clear the CEL and tell me it is a false reading. A week later, CEL is back on. Back to the LD, clear it, back on a week later. LD basically told me to stop bothering them and that there's nothing they can do about it, claiming it is some sort of government regulation and that I shouldn't drive a big ass truck in Houston.

I sometimes get a "Exhaust Filter 100% Full Safely Drive at Highway Speeds to Remedy." This will deplete as I drive at highway speeds and then goes into a regeneration mode and goes away. This is sometimes followed by a CEL. Again, LD said there is nothing they can do about it.

I've read a few other posts from other owners talking about the same issues. The response from most is to just drive on the highway, the CEL will go away on its own. Well, I've driven from Houston to San Antonio to Houston, Houston to Austin to Houston, and Houston to College Station to Houston without the light going off on its own. I've also driven less than 2 miles with the CEL clearing after coming on. I've been stuck in traffic when the exhaust filter full message came on, I've been driving 75 mph for a half hour when the exhaust filter full message came on. It all seems totally random. No rhyme or reason for any of it.

I have pretty much given up. I deal with the fact that my CEL is normally on. I deal with the fact that I cannot remote start with the CEL on; defeating partial reason for purchasing a new vehicle (yes, I am that big of a ****). My current MO is to push the little Assist button on my rear view mirror and report everything that's going on with my truck. I call when the CEL comes on, I call when the regeneration comes on, I call when the CEL randomly goes off all on its own. The people answering the call are typically appalled by the LD and say they will have a corporate dude call me and get things straightened out. Corporate dude and I normally play phone tag until we both give up.

Anyways... I pretty much am writing this post just in case someone else is in my shoes and is looking for answers... I can't offer any answers, but at least you know you aren't alone. My CEL has actually been off for 17 days and 450 miles, my longest streak yet. I am going to try another LD this or next week. I'll post if there's any results.

.... if you managed to read this long.... /rant off....

- Carrie

OP
OP
B

BIGRed333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel 6.7
Oh, and despite the rant, I still really love my truck.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Sorry for your troubles. Your dealer sucks!!! Time for a new one. There was a thread in the 4th Gen General Discussion section where people were recommending local dealers that gave good service. With all the guys that that are on here from Texas I am sure that someone can get by oh pointed in the right direction.

tap tap tappa-roo

jpex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
check your fuel supply, make sure of its quality and that it is ULSD also carefully remove the fuel filter and have a look see if you have any debris or weird crystallization's on it. are you adding any additives to the fuel?

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Any progress on this?

If they really told you to stop bothering them and this is still an issue you need to contact a Ram/Chrysler Rep and open a complaint file with them.

In the meantime see if you can find a little more professional dealership, sell them on you wanting to maybe switch loyalties to them and see if they will help you.

Cassih

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Same problem!

I had exactly the same issue.. There is actually a software update for the exhaust system.. Your local dealership should have notified you. Sorry to hear you LD sucks!

OP
OP
B

BIGRed333

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel 6.7
Update....

So my story from the original post didn't change much. Same things happened on and off. At one point I got a message that told me I couldn't exceed 15 mph. At the time, I was travelling between Houston and Lake Texoma for Memorial Day weekend (had dogs in the truck with us). Truck didn't feel any different. I slowed down, sped up, everything felt/sounded/smelled/looked normal. Luckily, we weren't far from a dealership. Pulled over there to have it checked out. Was told again that it was nothing to worry about, but there were some updates that could be done to the system. we left there and the CEL cleared at some point on the trip.

I did the updates sometime after the trip. The updates stopped the message about filter regeneration, but didn't stop the CEL.

A year later, I racked up all of the recalls on the truck (about 7 or 8 of them), plus the CEL issue, but the final straw was my door locks stopped working. See thread here. Turns out it was my catalytic converter causing the CEL. None of the other dealers said that, they always just said it was the DEF system. Haven't had any issues on the CEL since.

So if you're experiencing CEL, filter regeneration problems, drive at a maximum of 15 mph problems, it could be your catalytic converter. Same thing happened to a co-worker of mine. He said he even got a blue screen of death; I don't recall ever getting that.

Just wanted to bring this thread full circle in case anyone else is experiencing similar problems.

Last edited:

JWoo 1800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
2014 2500 similar issues

I am currently battling FCA over this same type issue. The first 25K miles I owned the truck I saw the Regen in process Filter 100% full message twice. Continued driving and it counted down and went away. Since January I have seen the message probably 30 times with the occasional CEL thrown in. Dealer did a stationary clean-out. No joy. Replaced #1 NOX sensor (CEL) no joy. Replaced DPF (message back in less than 40 miles). Opened a case with FCA tech support. FCA had them reflash a couple different components. No joy. FCA had them check fuel system. All normal. FCA had them check injector settings. All normal. NOX sensor CEL back again. Mech at dealer stated message should come up at 80% and if it got to 100% then things are going bad and should probably be getting CEL and possibly reduced power. Never seen anything other than 100% full. Other than occasionally getting a CEL everything seems to operate normally. I contacted FCA about possible Lemon and they informed me 24K mi is limit for WA state. My first dealer visit for this was at 24.8K so basically **** up a rope. :flipthebird: RAM!!!!

schrederman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel 6.7
My '14 Ram 2500 has had it's share of little stuff and everything's been covered under warranty so far. But about a month ago they had to replace the turbocharger. Now with 56,300 miles it started running bad and telling exhaust system service required see dealer. Dealer told me this morning that it's a required maintenance... not warranty... and will be $715- out the door. Says the EGR valve is probably plugged and it's "labor intensive"... I really have liked this truck up to this point. It is losing favor with me rapidly. I am wondering about the legality of removing the smog stuff in Texas. So far it's been a pain in the ****.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
My '14 Ram 2500 has had it's share of little stuff and everything's been covered under warranty so far. But about a month ago they had to replace the turbocharger. Now with 56,300 miles it started running bad and telling exhaust system service required see dealer. Dealer told me this morning that it's a required maintenance... not warranty... and will be $715- out the door. Says the EGR valve is probably plugged and it's "labor intensive"... I really have liked this truck up to this point. It is losing favor with me rapidly. I am wondering about the legality of removing the smog stuff in Texas. So far it's been a pain in the ****.
Legal is one thing... Enforcement is another. Just about any modification to factory vehicle emissions systems violates Federal EPA law. But... If your state/county does not perform an emissions inspection (most just do a safety inspection on diesels) as part of your​ registration process then you are good to go. The truth is that the majority of states do not enforce the EPA law on non-commercial vehicles.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plato45