Newbie on Performance chips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seajinx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
I want to upgrade to a super chip. But when reading this forum, it seems there's more to to this than meets the eye. can someone give a more in depth idea on whats needed and is it worth the extra cost. I have a 2012 3500 Heavy duty Cummins and would definitely like to get better Fuel Mileage and Power, but if it's going to cost me down the line. I'm not sure it's worth it.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Well. Most of the things that would be needed to boost your power and mileage would be a DPF delete and a programmer of some sort. Only one problem, you can't do a DPF delete anymore as the EPA has gone up the a** of the companies making it and they are not sold. So all you could do is a programmer. But another problem, being its a 2012 it probably has a warranty, and most dealers don't like programmers added to the trucks, and if anything went wrong they would probably void your warranty. Its become quite difficult for you diesel guys.

OP
OP
S

seajinx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS
Thanks blackedOutHemi, i appreciate the input. Guess I'll suffer the mileage & Powere decrease until the warranty runs out.

outdoorsman80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dang I am glad I saw this. I too was wanting to add a preformance chip to my 2012 Outdoorsman. Anything I can do to boost preformance?

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can still find tuners that can do the dpf delete you just have to look around at different suppliers(not the company themselves) and sign a waiver or buy private party from craigslist or a forum

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Or go with EFI-Live. You can get DPF delete or DPF present tuning.
I love my H&S mini Maxx and there are still plenty of them out there capable of deleting the DPF. I picked up about 3-4mpg by deleting my DPF and EGR.
Or you can get their "street" tuner version that tunes with the DPF present.

If you want power and fuel economy delte the DPF and EGR, find a used H&S MM or order up some EFI-Live tuning and call it a day.

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I didn't think EFI live had a delete tuner for the 2012's. I'd strongly suggest trying to find a H&S tuner still in stock somewhere.

DodgeThisRam03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I want to upgrade to a super chip. But when reading this forum, it seems there's more to to this than meets the eye. can someone give a more in depth idea on whats needed and is it worth the extra cost. I have a 2012 3500 Heavy duty Cummins and would definitely like to get better Fuel Mileage and Power, but if it's going to cost me down the line. I'm not sure it's worth it.
If your chipping a diesel it is more than worth it. you can gain 150hp easily with a chip as opposed to 20hp if it were gas. check out autoanything.com and search edge chips for your truck. remember, you get what you pay for and i highly recommend edge. my friends dad has a chipped 5.9 diesel and he now has 550hp at rear wheels and 1475 lb.ft of torque.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I didn't think EFI live had a delete tuner for the 2012's. I'd strongly suggest trying to find a H&S tuner still in stock somewhere.

You're right, I didn't even think about that until you pointed that out, Thanks.
EFI supporst 2006- 2009.

If your chipping a diesel it is more than worth it. you can gain 150hp easily with a chip as opposed to 20hp if it were gas. check out autoanything.com and search edge chips for your truck. remember, you get what you pay for and i highly recommend edge. my friends dad has a chipped 5.9 diesel and he now has 550hp at rear wheels and 1475 lb.ft of torque.

Edge is a good product for the 5.9's, they respond well, but from what I've heard and read....not so mich for the 6.7's and all their emission stuff.
For DPF present or missing I'm going to have to say hands down H&S.
Like Wandell said, find one in stock (race tuner) or search the classifieds for a used one. A lot of people are selling them (possibly including me soon to go with EFI).

chromehound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Get ahold of Alligator Performance (theres an ad at the top of the page generally) about a Smarty S67. Their site says '07 and up but I'd double check to make sure it'll work on the '12. You should be able to get an 'ME' upgrade that'll let you kill the emissions stuff but again double check - just remember that deleting emissions stuff on a non offroad/drag/sled truck is illegal and some companies don't like to talk about avaliablity.

Myself I'd wait and see what EFI comes out with.

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yeah, if you can't find a H&S Mini Maxx or XRT Pro the Smarty would be my next choice.

Dooner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2010 3500 Dually Ram, and recently decided to buy the Smarty Jr. I still have the DPF and EGR. Before I installed it, I had a lot of trouble passing someone on the highway. Now, NOT a problem. I have plenty of power. And MPG went up some too. The #2 towing seems to get the best MPG for my truck. It gained a tad over 2 MPG. And that's daily average MPG (city/highway).

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I haven't seen Seajinx respond back on here, but I just wanted to throw out that if you can get ahold of an older "race" Mini Maxx I would!
They are working on revamping their tunes and I have been testing them out and giving feedback. As many know they aquired a new tuner recently (formerly EFIbyRyan) and he has been going through and making changes. I couldn't be happier with my truck right now, tons of power and 1/10th of the smoke (on the highest tune) as before. He is working on the 07-09's right now, about done, then I believe he is moving on to the 2010's +.

Unfused

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2010
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6.7 Cummins
I've been looking quite heavily into these chips as well... However a lot of people seem to be opposed to it. Oh well, I'll keep reading up on it.

I'm in Canada and I don't think our rules are as strict.

Soddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
Biggest problem with H&S now is that they really do not exist after having to fork over a million dollars to the government. Had the factory pyro take a dump on me and it is impossible to find one that hooks back into the factory sensor. You can't really go wrong with a good tuner set SMART and a few supporting mods if you want to get wild (studs, wastegate, ect.). Tons of people have done it so if you need any help just ask, always willing to shed some light!