OBD2 Power Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I was driving my girlfriends dads truck when I accidently bumped the power switch to his mini maxx with the toe of my boot as I let out the clutch. The tuner came right back on but my problem now is that it stays on whether the key is on or off. I found the switch to shut the tuner off manually but cant seem to find this switch on the obd2 block that shuts off power when the key is off.
Any hints where to find it? Ive looked all over the obd2 plug and connector and the manual on off switch is all I could find

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
ugh , sounds bad .. I have no idea . Someone will chime in

OP
OP
Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Im sure her dad knows where its at, he's told me to be careful since a guy that works for him bumps its all the time. Between wearing my new steel toes for the first time, driving it for the first time since the new clutch was put in and literally just getting out of a 6 speed F350 dumptruck after 2 hours of driving, it was alot of getting used to and of course I was playing since it can handle the mild tune.
Im sure Ill figure it out eventually tonight lol

OP
OP
Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
BTW the 6.0 powerstroke felt like it would have trouble getting out of its own way....

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Was it the 6.0 or the 6.1 furd that had all the issues ?

I am glad cummins has one engine that is tried and true ... unlike furd ect that have to build new engines each year because the later sucked .

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Ya thats it .. my buddy just bough a 6.0 and its in the shop getting the top end rebuilt

Told him should have bought a cummins .. he hung up the phone .. lol

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Hahaha, don't get me wrong I love Cummins but the 6.0's aren't really a bad motor, you just need to put 5,000ish into it to fix all the stupid issues on them that Furd didn't seem to mind throwing into them lol. We have 6.0's in my dealership ALL THE TIME!

OP
OP
Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
It just doesn't have nearly the power cummins do. Heck I think my old f250 with a 7.3 non turbo had more get up and go, I don't look forward to towing 12k lbs with it honestly. It's an 06 with 20k miles, my girlfriends dad got a hell of a deal on it do hopeful with the proper maintenance it'll hold up
I'm not gonna lie I'm a big ford guy a well and have always said I would take a powerstroke over a cummins but anymore I'm second guessing myself!
Back to the tuner, Thinking about it more there are two wires coming from the OBD2 adapter an hdmi and a power wire, I think the zip tie thats ******* the obd2 is keeping it from going all the way in even through I tried wiggling it, heading back to her house in a little while for work in the morning

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
If he plans on keeping, tell him to go ahead and do an EGR delete on it, or the egr cooler WILL start leaking and cause a f*ck load of problems!

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
I was driving my girlfriends dads truck when I accidently bumped the power switch to his mini maxx with the toe of my boot as I let out the clutch. The tuner came right back on but my problem now is that it stays on whether the key is on or off. I found the switch to shut the tuner off manually but cant seem to find this switch on the obd2 block that shuts off power when the key is off.
Any hints where to find it? Ive looked all over the obd2 plug and connector and the manual on off switch is all I could find

Hmmm... As far as I know from the older OBDII port they are wired to direct power all the time so the switch was most likely added for power control. As for my ScanGauge II it automatic to shut off and it typically takes a few seconds to see the computer signals have stopped and to shut off power.

This is a 1998.5 to 2002 wiring diagram to at least give you a feel for it...

CCD-Network-Wiring.jpg

OP
OP
Stangshcky12

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I shut it off with the power supply switch and went home. When I came back Last night I turned the key and the mini maxx came on like it should. It wasn't before.
The power supply switch changes it from getting power from the obd2, which always has 12v, or from the power wire which is wired to the fuse box. I think the power wire in was just loose