RDS Auxiliary Fuel tank/Tool box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Though id share my new fuel tank took box. Went with the RDS Model# 72559

Which is a 51 gallon tank. I wanted the black finished one but it was like $200 more.

I opted for the polished finish and had a local shop spray it with bedliner. I figured it would outlast any paint it came with from RDS.

My needs were pretty specific. Wanted a tank which would allow me to put a tonneau cover and would be able to fill up without needing to remove the cover to do so.

This thing fits just under the bed rails which is perfect for any cover that sits on them. Ill be going with a Smittybilt Smart Cover as I used one on my 1500 and it worked well. I decided on this specific set up because the filler neck is exposed so I can remove the cap and fill it without having to open the entire tool box lid. I just picked it up from the shop today and hopefully be filling it up tomorrow.

It was installed by my local Truck Accessories shop with an electric valve with a switch on the dash (gravity feeding) and they put another manal valve on the side of the tank.

20150814_101801_zpsnhsjfdzl.jpg
20150814_101710_zpsmwx3jbd5.jpg
20150814_101714_zpsgcpr57fo.jpg
20150815_144329_zpssxasix6b.jpg
20150815_144324_zpsncylsn2o.jpg

Last edited:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Very cool! How much room to you get inside the storage box? Does it tie into the factory fuel tank when you flip the switch?

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks!

Yes, it allows fuel to flow directly into the original fuel tank. Just opens a valve electronically which feeds the fuel by gravity.

The tool box isn't big, it sits right above the tank.

The tool box dimensions are:
(LxWxH) 44 x 20 x 6 1/4 - in inches

Its a bit shallow but its wide enough. I have my tow strap/tie down straps, jumper cables and other necessities. Its enough for me.

Last edited:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
That really is cool. I really like the way it mounts in the bed that it leaves room cover.. Very nice find man.

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Thanks. Finally got around to filing it up today.
Took $110 to fill with just under the 51 gallons. I think it was 50.4 gallons is what I put. @$2.20/gallon

What I wanna figure now is putting a 90° elbow on that brass fitting because as the fuel moves around it squirted out of that breather. Want to figure out something to allow it to breath but not spill.
Also, since I'll have a tonneau cover in place, I need to route that vent outside or maybe have the shop pipe the vent back into the truck fuel tank?

Dooner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I was told that it is illegal to hook up an in-bed fuel tank straight to your original fuel tank or fuel lines. It has to be used with a manual pump and hose like at the gas station. I'm not saying anything if it is, cause that is the way I planned to do mine too. I guess what they don't see won't get you a fine. "Tonneau cover it up" is what I say.

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Not that I know of, the lines is hooked up to the filler neck area. Not directly to the fuel tank itself.

No problems so far. I love the extra range I get too!

Valhakar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L/Aisin 6 speed
That is the engineering sexy! I want one now, its low enough to clear any 5th wheel with my 8 foot bed. Great find!

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Took a road trip in December

McAllen, TX
Midland, TX
Roswell, NM
Santa Fe, NM
Colorado Springs, CO
Austin, TX
McAllen, TX

Just about 2800 miles total.

Gotta love that Aux tank! Rarely stopped for fuel and having the ability to choose where I wanted to fill up was awesome.

Have done several towing trips and not needing to fill up is great while pulling a big trailer

Mallardsx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Can you just hook this up to the fuel filler line and have a 1" valve to open up and let the fuel feed into your tank that way instead of buying that electronic feeder thing? Also, Is there any concerns of that breather being under a tonnneau cover with the sun beating down on it getting those diesel fumes vaporized and risk explosion?

Did you get a hose and a pump fro it for filling up a tractor? If so, which one did you buy?

Mallardsx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Is there a size a little wider do you don't have so much space between the bed sides and the box?

Jackfate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
May I ask the total cost of this project?

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Is there a size a little wider do you don't have so much space between the bed sides and the box?

you might find another one that will tuck up closer to the sides but I find those sides pretty handy. I keep a spare gallon of windshield washer fluid in there. On the driver's side is where the feed tube goes down to the filler neck so you do need that space.

May I ask the total cost of this project?

I paid about $1000 for everything. Including the installation and bedliner on the tank/tool box. Buddy works for at the installation place so they hooked me up pretty good!

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Can you just hook this up to the fuel filler line and have a 1" valve to open up and let the fuel feed into your tank that way instead of buying that electronic feeder thing? Also, Is there any concerns of that breather being under a tonnneau cover with the sun beating down on it getting those diesel fumes vaporized and risk explosion?

Did you get a hose and a pump fro it for filling up a tractor? If so, which one did you buy?

It would take A LOT of vapor to fill that area. I typically open the tonneau cover several times per trip for luggage and stuff. I was concerned with my luggage smelling like diesel but I haven't experienced it on any of my trips. @ 100+ degree weather either. So its been good.

I only have a valve with an electric butterfly which allows fuel to drip down to the main tank. It also has a secondary hand valve which closes the fuel supply if you need to service that electric valve.

I haven't used my top tank to fill up my tractors. Since i use regular fuel to fill my truck. I just carry a couple of spare plastic 30gallon tubs when i need to haul fuel for my tractors (red dyed) and use a Northern Tools purchased transfer pump which powers itself from the tractor battery. Pretty handy.
So my tank is only used to fill my truck.

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you just hook this up to the fuel filler line and have a 1" valve to open up and let the fuel feed into your tank that way instead of buying that electronic feeder thing?
You could, but this tank is bigger than your fuel tank so you will either have to stop and wait for main to to be filled by gravity feed, or pull over again to shut it off before you overfill the tank. A friend of the family does it this way but has a 28g tank. He gets down to 1/4, stops and opens the valve and drives off.

Also, Is there any concerns of that breather being under a tonnneau cover with the sun beating down on it getting those diesel fumes vaporized and risk explosion?

Run the vent line outside the bed

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
338bc11f85438f848950d5e572a7f7cd.jpg

My father in law's RDS tank. He mounted a 20gpm pump inside the tool box area with a hose and dispenser. He leaves the switch at the pump on and runs a relay with a toggle switch inside the cab to turn it on and off. 51 gallons.

dfe48f421399ceb6ec48a8d0cc4f5f36.jpg

My father's set up. This one is plumbed into the filler neck with a small diesel fuel pump with an in line filter with a switch in the dash. 58 gallons.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

dewey405

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V-6
I know I am digging up an old thread but how does this one fit? The measurements on NT website show it being 1" too wide to fit between the wheel wells.

OP
OP
Arctic-Rodz

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I know I am digging up an old thread but how does this one fit? The measurements on NT website show it being 1" too wide to fit between the wheel wells.

my tank fits perfectly. It doesn't touch the wheel wells, it sits right behind them.