Regeneration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Hi All,

OK, I'm a little confused. (happens easily)

I'm in process of getting 2011 2500 6.7 CTD. I've read a bunch of articles and forum threads on (exhaust) regeneration.

But, what is it ?

Do I need to replace/service/flush anything ?

Is it expensive ?

Some articles say you need to drive it to flush it, what does it all mean.
Lots of threads mention the phrase, but i still am a little unclear as to whether I actually need to do anything about it.

Thanks.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Now, I'm no diesel expert, but from what I've heard, the DPF can get clogged from just daily driving around, and you can clean it out by driving at highway speeds for a while.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Pick me pick me! I think I got the system down pretty well! lol

Dodge trucks use a diesel particulate filter (DPF) on their diesel trucks.
Unlike powerstroke and duramax, which use a DEF system, cummins dont need any extra fluid for their systems.

The filter takes the particulate out of the exhaust. As the filter fills up with particulate it needs to go into regeneration before it gets full.
There are two types of regeneration, active and passive.
Active regeneration uses diesel fuel as a catalyst to raise the temperature and burn out the particulate (this is where a DPF system differs from a DEF system, DEF systems use a seperate DEF fluid as a catalyst) Active regeneration can use over a gallon of diesel fuel to burn out the particulate.
Passive regeneration is when the exhaust gas temperatures are high enough to burn out the particulate on its own without the help of a catalyst. Passive regeneration is the reason why you here people say that you need to work these new trucks hard and basically beat on them (particulate burns at around 600*C or about 1100*F, most sled pullers and high hp diesel guys cut their EGTs off around 1300*F)

As long as you dont allow the filter to fill up you shouldnt have to replace the filters or have any problems. Unfortunatly these trucks dont always go into active regen like they should, the filters become full and clogged and the truck goes into limp mode, making you go slowly to the dealership for a $1000-$1500 replacement filter

Any more questions hit me!

OP
OP
baff

baff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
Ah... that makes sense. Thanks heaps.

So basically take it on highway for a big of a stretch and get it warm. How often should I drive it harder (is it a weekly thing) ?

For those that do clog, how long (miles) does that take ?

When I bought my last 4x4 (not available in US) , my mechanic told me to drive it pretty hard as it was actually good for it whilst everything settled in from new.

Great reason why I love this forum. I'm in a different part of the world and don't have dealers/mechanics that are as accessible for questions, so everyones feedback and comments here have really helped me make the decision to order the RAM.... just need to wait another 6 weeks !

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I wish I had a better answer for you but its all going to depend on driving
If you use the truck as a grocery getter youll have to get it going often
If you have 10k lbs behind it everytime you take it out then it should go into passive regen pretty often

You'll really need to open it up and beat on it to clean out the filter

The evic in the truck should tell you a percentage of how full the filter is, I wouldnt let it get over 80%

Another option, I'm not sure if you have the emissions regulations that we do, you could delete the filter and get a tuner (highly recomend H&S) that will make the truck think it is always in passive regen
Not only does it get rid of the whole regen deal but it also opens up the exhaust ALOT which boosts performance but fuel mileage quite a bit! (A typical muffler creates 1-2 PSI of back pressure, a DPF system can create 3-5 PSI of back pressure0

OP
OP
baff

baff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 TD
So... your best bet is to remove the DPF as long as your not in an inspection state? :naughty:

Here in Victoria, Australia they would literally shoot me if I touched this. We are locked down WAY TOO MUCH with mods. We can only do 2 inch lift for example, and SMALL (15mm rolling diameter) on tyre size.
Its ridiculous.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Here in Victoria, Australia they would literally shoot me if I touched this. We are locked down WAY TOO MUCH with mods. We can only do 2 inch lift for example, and SMALL (15mm rolling diameter) on tyre size.
Its ridiculous.

Man that stinks!! Can't believe it's that strict..

Pick me pick me! I think I got the system down pretty well! lol

Dodge trucks use a diesel particulate filter (DPF) on their diesel trucks.
Unlike powerstroke and duramax, which use a DEF system, cummins dont need any extra fluid for their systems.

The filter takes the particulate out of the exhaust. As the filter fills up with particulate it needs to go into regeneration before it gets full.
There are two types of regeneration, active and passive.
Active regeneration uses diesel fuel as a catalyst to raise the temperature and burn out the particulate (this is where a DPF system differs from a DEF system, DEF systems use a seperate DEF fluid as a catalyst) Active regeneration can use over a gallon of diesel fuel to burn out the particulate.
Passive regeneration is when the exhaust gas temperatures are high enough to burn out the particulate on its own without the help of a catalyst. Passive regeneration is the reason why you here people say that you need to work these new trucks hard and basically beat on them (particulate burns at around 600*C or about 1100*F, most sled pullers and high hp diesel guys cut their EGTs off around 1300*F)

As long as you dont allow the filter to fill up you shouldnt have to replace the filters or have any problems. Unfortunatly these trucks dont always go into active regen like they should, the filters become full and clogged and the truck goes into limp mode, making you go slowly to the dealership for a $1000-$1500 replacement filter

Any more questions hit me!

Damn... You know your stuff man lol

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
That's just the quick run through of it too lol
I got to teach that part in my one class since they are starting to implement the DEF systems in to tractors and Ag equipment
I knew more about them then my professor haha

I've even had the chance to talk to cummins ISX engineers
In the not to far future all cummins equipped dodges will need DEF fluid as they are working on adding the SCR scrubbing system to pickup trucks as well
I believe they will start ising the DEF system but Im not entirely sure if they are or if they are only using the fluid for the SCR system

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Why are they using them in tractors now?

Emissions
We did a PTO dyno on a brand new New Hollands we have at school (not actually from when I hooked it up, it was just sitting outside hooked up on day)
ccd57c17.jpg
Heres what it did with emmision reading
Dyno.jpg
I dont have anything to show you to compare it to but those numbers are pretty impressive
Under load the exhuast is .0205 NOx which is one of the gases DPF/DEF systems are targeting

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ah ok, thats kinda what i was thinking. ya i have no idea what those numbers mean so ill take your word for it lol

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I wish I had a better answer for you but its all going to depend on driving
If you use the truck as a grocery getter youll have to get it going often
If you have 10k lbs behind it everytime you take it out then it should go into passive regen pretty often

You'll really need to open it up and beat on it to clean out the filter

The evic in the truck should tell you a percentage of how full the filter is, I wouldnt let it get over 80%

Another option, I'm not sure if you have the emissions regulations that we do, you could delete the filter and get a tuner (highly recomend H&S) that will make the truck think it is always in passive regen
Not only does it get rid of the whole regen deal but it also opens up the exhaust ALOT which boosts performance but fuel mileage quite a bit! (A typical muffler creates 1-2 PSI of back pressure, a DPF system can create 3-5 PSI of back pressure0

I have a question... Since I've never herad of the exhaust rengen until today, I went and test drove a pre owned 6.7. While I was driving it I saw theinfo screen say the exhaust regen was 80% full. While I was test driving it I opened it up a couple of times and before I got it back it read 70% full. Does that sound normal and on its way to clearing itself or should I stay clear of this vehicle? Thanks in advance.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Sounds like it was doing what it should
When you got on it the EGTs went up high enough to start a regen process but not hot enough to run the complete cycle so it only burnt some of the particulate out
Idk if it starts active regen at 90% or 100% (cant remember, its been over 70k miles since I deleted my gf dad's 6.7) but the truck should go into active regen where it uses diesel fuel as a catalyst to raise the temperatures.

The problem with the system comes when the truck doesnt do this active regen and the filter becomes clogged. Best bet is to either not let the filter get that full by running the truck hard every so often or delete the filter

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didn't think there was any market availability of DPF deletes anymore.
Luckily it's hilly enough around here, that DPFs don't seem to get too plugged up.

I'd buy a new diesel w/o too much concern for the DPF system, sure it's something else that can go wrong, but as mentioned, if you actively monitor it, you'll be fine.

Cynix

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
My ctd wrecker and the rollbacks have a Def system in them. Just since 2010 I believe. They are 5500 though

Birddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bright White 3500 Laramie 4X4 Long Bed
Engine
6.7 Cummins TD, 3.73
I found this on the Ram site. I figured I'd post it in case anyone hadn't seen it.

picture.php