Smoke?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEFFM0342

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins. Every couple hundred miles or so, I get a lot of smoke coming from under the hood. I have been told by the dealership that it is the DPF system cleaning the exhaust. Is this true? If so, is there a way to route the smoke to the rear of the truck instead of pouring out of the engine compartment?

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have a 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins. Every couple hundred miles or so, I get a lot of smoke coming from under the hood. I have been told by the dealership that it is the DPF system cleaning the exhaust. Is this true? If so, is there a way to route the smoke to the rear of the truck instead of pouring out of the engine compartment?
No way does that sound right to me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JaredRAM2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That would be the worst design ever... Get a second/better opinion!

Never, on any new vehicle should the words "smoke" and "pouring" be followed my "normal" by a dealership.

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I agree with both the prior posts.
The exhaust system, including the after-treatment is an entirely closed system that exits at the rear of the truck out of the tailpipe.
What kind of smoke are you referring to? What does it look like and smell like? Have you popped the hood to see where the source of it is? Regardless of the source it's the dealers issue since the truck is new. I would try another dealer.

OP
OP
J

JEFFM0342

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Solution

Alright guys, first of all, thank you for your replies. I did in fact take out to a second dealership recently. They found a clamp on an exhaust pipe elbow just after the turbo to be loose, and the pipe had detached itself. That means for the past 3000 miles, it has not done a single regen properly. I am glad this issue has been resolved. Pretty pissed about the original dealership though, all they had to do was get it on a lift.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Alright guys, first of all, thank you for your replies. I did in fact take out to a second dealership recently. They found a clamp on an exhaust pipe elbow just after the turbo to be loose, and the pipe had detached itself. That means for the past 3000 miles, it has not done a single regen properly. I am glad this issue has been resolved. Pretty pissed about the original dealership though, all they had to do was get it on a lift.
Glad they got it figured out for you. I can't believe it wasn't throwing any CELs.

Greg
2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel