Trying to understand active regen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe's 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Gang, not trying to be a smart a** but am new to the diesel world and have tried to learn through here and other places, but some of these new sounds have me confused hope someone can help me better understand? I read about active and passive regeneration and think I understand that part but when i read about their truck experienced active regen- what does it do? I was driving up hill today pulling 4k car trailer the turbo boost showed 22-24 psi, I was in 4 the once then 5 the on another time when I started to hear a loud humming noise. Sounded like a fan on high but then stopped as I crested the hill. I heard turbos before and they seem to be a whinning associated with that. The sound came from the driver side-am thinking these turbos aren't whinners but more hummers...am I right? Or is what the active regen sounds like?
Again just wanting to learn more about this new beat Igot... Thanks for the help.

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Gang, not trying to be a smart a** but am new to the diesel world and have tried to learn through here and other places, but some of these new sounds have me confused hope someone can help me better understand? I read about active and passive regeneration and think I understand that part but when i read about their truck experienced active regen- what does it do? I was driving up hill today pulling 4k car trailer the turbo boost showed 22-24 psi, I was in 4 the once then 5 the on another time when I started to hear a loud humming noise. Sounded like a fan on high but then stopped as I crested the hill. I heard turbos before and they seem to be a whinning associated with that. The sound came from the driver side-am thinking these turbos aren't whinners but more hummers...am I right? Or is what the active regen sounds like?
Again just wanting to learn more about this new beat Igot... Thanks for the help.

I can't comment on the humming you heard but it might have been the active regen. I know a bit of that emission crap is on the driver side of the engine bay. A regeneration for my 12 Cummins mean't the EGT was going to get really high so it could burn out the soot in the DPF filter. You have a monitor for that in your EVIC.

Try to keep an eye on that and see if you hear that humming sound again.

This is only guesses on my part as the new 13 Cummins use DEF and I am sure they made changes to the emission stuff.

OP
OP
Joe's 2500

Joe's 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Am thinking it may be the mechanical fan with an electric clutch? if it was regen I would have seen smoke??? Nothing came out. I will keep an eye for that next time.thanks Joe

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have noticed that when the fan kicks on you can hear it in the cab at highway speeds.
As far as the regen goes I have not noticed any messages in the EVIC or sounds alerting me to the fact that it is in regeneration mode. I would also like to know how to tell.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The only real way I could tell on my '12 was to watch the reading drop on the instant MPG gauge in the EVIC. Since your '13s use DEF I doubt this happens on your trucks.

Sometime i thought I could hear a change in the engine running but it was hard to know if it was a regen or something else. I never saw smoke, ever. my understanding is all the soot that would normally have come out the tailpipe is recycled into the engine oil along with any unburnt fuel from the regen process.

There are some tuners/ODB gauge packs that can alert you of a regen but I can't find anything in the factory EVIC on the 4th Gens.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's very likely the electric fan clutch engaging with the increased load and thus heat.

I do not believe that, generally speaking, the regen is 'detectable' especially not with the DEF system you now have.

OP
OP
Joe's 2500

Joe's 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I got see the fan and there is a electric clutch that is it, thanks gang. Loving this bad boy

lizardking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 6.7 "The real deal"
Mine did it's first Regen at 330 miles...WTF

katokahn99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Mine is a '13 and my first regen didn't occur until about 3000 miles. Initially, the only indication I got was a message on my EVIC indicating DPF 100% and "Diesel regeneration in progress." Watching the guage, the EGT did not increase. Listening for it, I might have heard a difference, but I could have been mistaken and it could have just been a figment of my imagination. I was going 65MPH on the highway and it only lasted a couple of minutes.
My latest regen occurred at about 9000 miles...same thing except that it started while I was on the highway right before I took the exit. It lasted a little longer (3-4 minutes?) with in-town driving.