Tuner and emissions delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usmc387

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just traded in my 2013 ram sport and got a 2012 2500 6.7 with 60K on it. New to the diesel world so I have a ongoing list of questions when it comes to this thing. First off I wanna do a tune and delete all the emissions nonsense on it. Part of me wants to wait the remaining 40K on the warranty and part of me wants to knock it out now. Besides the obvious performance increases of deleting everything is there any other benefits? Besides having the power train warranty any benefit of leaving it stock? Thanks in advance.

If you tell yourself you can or you can't you're right!

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
If you are even remotely considering deleting your truck, then do it now before it is too late. Last year, the EPA cracked down on the companies making tuners for the emissions deleted trucks. H&S has still been writing tunes, but I have heard numerous rumors that they are about to get out of the DPF delete tuning all together now. You can no longer buy these units new, and the used ones are getting harder and harder to come by. The Mini Maxx uses to cost $900, and now you are lucky to find a used one for less than $1400. People know that they are rare and they are taking advantage of that. Do it while you still can.

You are going to gain massive power depending on which tune you select, and fuel mileage should go up about 2-4mpg.

OP
OP
U

usmc387

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Is h&s the only one who makes the delete codes? What about smarty or EFI live?

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I bought my '12 Cummins last July. It is not the first diesel that i have driven but it is the first one I've owned. I agree with Matt that if you are going to delete then you might as well do it now. There are a few options for deleting depending on what your goals are. There is no EFI live support for '10 and up trucks. Smarty is still around but like H&S they not making any new tuners but they are still supporting the old ones through the forums. RaceME has taken over where MADS/Smarty left off. It is only a delete tuner so you have to remove the DPF before you tune with it. It also disables the EGR so you can remove it if you want but its not required. That is what I am using and am satisfied. Thankfully I got mine before the price went up. If warranty is a concern you can remove the DPF and fool the computer with SIMS. That is what I started with. It s good for 2-3 mpgs but does not disable the EGR or add any horsepower.

I deleted mine at 5000 miles with SIMS and added the tuner about 500 miles later because I couldn't stand having the tuner sitting around not being used.... haven't liked back yet :). The nice thing about using SIMS with the RaceME is that if you need to bring the truck in to the dealer for warranty work you can turn the truck back to stock with the tuner and leave the DPF off. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

sent thru a cloud of smoke

OP
OP
U

usmc387

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thank you for the input I appreciate it, with the raceme tuner did you go with the regular or the pro? Cheapest I've been able to find is about 850.. Are you running a turbo back system?

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have the regular. $850 sounds about right. The pro is only if you plan on serious engine & fuel upgrades. I just did the DPF delete. Left the factory down pipe from the turbo in case I ever needed to go back to stock it would be easier. I also kept the factory muffler/resonator to cur down on the highway drone. I have a young family so keeping the noise down in the cab was a priority. Keeping the downpipe also keeps the cat which cuts down on the exhaust smell a little.

sent thru a cloud of smoke

OP
OP
U

usmc387

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thank you

Dooner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 4x4
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What if I want to leave the DPF as it is, but want to shut down and block off the EGR without removing it? Is this possible?

My reason: Living in Texas, we have to go through a state inspection of the vehicle. Not emissions in the rural areas yet. If the DPF is not there, NO PASS inspection sticker. I don't want to search all over the area for the one guy that will let it pass if you slide him a few bucks.
And I really don't want to see all the smoke rolling out the tailpipe, but I don't like the idea of it rolling back into the intake.

Who has the master plan?

man n black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I deleted my 2012 at like 2500 miles...Got lucky with the H&S race tuner and full 5 inch exhaust with muffler....

Effing awesome, never have had either dealer close to me approach the subject that my truck is deleted...and I also kept all the OEM parts to return to stock if needed

Ch

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
What if I want to leave the DPF as it is, but want to shut down and block off the EGR without removing it? Is this possible?

My reason: Living in Texas, we have to go through a state inspection of the vehicle. Not emissions in the rural areas yet. If the DPF is not there, NO PASS inspection sticker. I don't want to search all over the area for the one guy that will let it pass if you slide him a few bucks.
And I really don't want to see all the smoke rolling out the tailpipe, but I don't like the idea of it rolling back into the intake.

Who has the master plan?

Having a '10 you can try just unplugging the EGR. you will get a CEL right away but have a 50/50 chance of the truck going into derate mode depending on when your truck was built.

Lots of guys in areas like yours are getting a hollowed out DPF and NOx canisters for 'stealth deletes' . this works well in areas that are only looking to see if the canisters are present on the truck but don't do a sniffer test.

just recently on another forum there are a few guys that are installing a bypass around the EGR. basically blocking off the EGR crossover tube on the cooler side and routing fresh air from intake pipe below the air horn and throttle valve. the EGR stays intact and opens and closes as normal but never allows exhaust into the intake stream. parts to do this are pretty cheap and found at your local auto parts store but require drilling and taping holes for the nipples to attach the bypass hose. so far reports are good... I can't believe it took this long for a trick like this to hit the forums...

Sent from my LG 8.3 GPe