What to do for improved fuel economy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWJewellTN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummins 6.7L diesel engine. This is my first diesel engine, and i admit that although I know the basics I do not know much about diesels. I even got a little weirded-out when I found out that DEF was urea. I mean, who decides to pee into a tank, inject it into diesel exhaust, and see what it does to the exhaust?

Anyway, in the performance Mustangs that I used to own I was more interested in making more power. Now I'm more interested in increased feul economy, so I'm looking for some quick educating on what I can do to have a real world increase its fuel economy. do the cold air intakes work on diesel? Do they work significantly better than a simple K&N air filter and factory air box? What can I do for the exhaust given that my state requires emission testing? Do the tuners work for fuel economy?

Again, I am interested in real world results and not marketing crap.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 with the Cummins 6.7L diesel engine. This is my first diesel engine, and i admit that although I know the basics I do not know much about diesels. I even got a little weirded-out when I found out that DEF was urea. I mean, who decides to pee into a tank, inject it into diesel exhaust, and see what it does to the exhaust?

Anyway, in the performance Mustangs that I used to own I was more interested in making more power. Now I'm more interested in increased feul economy, so I'm looking for some quick educating on what I can do to have a real world increase its fuel economy. do the cold air intakes work on diesel? Do they work significantly better than a simple K&N air filter and factory air box? What can I do for the exhaust given that my state requires emission testing? Do the tuners work for fuel economy?

Again, I am interested in real world results and not marketing crap.
Pee in the exhaust... LOL!!!!! IKR!

Honestly there is not much to be done for the fuel economy on the new diesels. The factory airbox already flows tons of air so a CAI only helps bring back some of the turbo sound but no real gains in HP or MPGs.

DPF back exhaust kits are for looks only and do nothing for the actual exhaust sound. The exhaust side of the emissions equipment is what makes the trucks so quiet.

There are a few tuners available but they are wicked expensive and have not been on the market long enough to know if the gains they claim are valid or not.

Give it some time to break in... The MPGs will start to pick up and DEF usage will decrease as the miles build.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You bought a truck shaped like a brick. Drive only downhill. :roflsquared:

OP
OP
S

SWJewellTN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
LOL!!!! True story :crazy:

But they are the best looking ones on the market IMHO :)

Yep, I have owned the truck for 2 weeks now, and I've received several compliments on it.

And somewhat true on the peeing thing:

urea noun \yu̇-ˈrē-ə\ : a substance that contains nitrogen, is found in the ***** of mammals and some fish, and is used in some kinds of fertilizer.

OP
OP
S

SWJewellTN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Pee in the exhaust... LOL!!!!! IKR!

Honestly there is not much to be done for the fuel economy on the new diesels. The factory airbox already flows tons of air so a CAI only helps bring back some of the turbo sound but no real gains in HP or MPGs.

DPF back exhaust kits are for looks only and do nothing for the actual exhaust sound. The exhaust side of the emissions equipment is what makes the trucks so quiet.

There are a few tuners available but they are wicked expensive and have not been on the market long enough to know if the gains they claim are valid or not.

Give it some time to break in... The MPGs will start to pick up and DEF usage will decrease as the miles build.

That's depressing, but thanks for replying. :)

OP
OP
S

SWJewellTN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I will say that I'm impressed that it gets better fuel economy than my 2013 Ram 1500 that I traded for the 2500. That's impressive considering the weight and higher profile.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I will say that I'm impressed that it gets better fuel economy than my 2013 Ram 1500 that I traded for the 2500. That's impressive considering the weight and higher profile.
I had to delete the emission stuff off my truck just to get my MPGs to where the '14s are stock.

With all the emission crap on these trucks, gone are the days of 30 MPGs.

But, as mentioned, the front profile of the Ram trucks really seem to kill the MPGs. The '07-'09 HDs have basically the same engine and trans, with less HP and torque, and get better fuel milage.

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I know this thread is starting to get a bit stale, but I'd recommend not putting too much emphasis fuel economy on a new truck. Diesels need to be broken in, and it seems (to me) the harder you work them early, the better they run down the road. I will tell you this, my truck loves to tow things, it loves to be loaded down. Don't be afraid to make it grunt a bit.

McGrizzENS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Along the same lines as what you are saying with the break in since mine is no where near broken in yet, I have still been impressed. I also have a 2014 and only have put a couple thousand miles on the truck but since the day I bought the truck I have been consistently getting 19-20 mpg which is WAY better than I was expecting. Before I bought the truck I was thinking 16 maybe. Exactly what kind of mileage have you been getting with yours??

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963