Will a dealer take a deleted diesel in on trade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
A guy I work with was saying the local dealers in orange, TX will not take his sons modified diesel in on trade because they claim by law it has to have all the emissions equipment in order to legally sale the truck. Is this a state by state thing or town by town?

strmtrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This might not be much help but I think this might be town to town. People trade deleted trucks in all the time in Indiana. I also kept my dpf in the yard barn just in case though lol.

JGBimle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know about diesels and I'm also in PA but when I traded in my 14 Hemi that was straight piped I had to put my old muffler on it before they'd take the trade. I don't know if it's an actual legal situation or not for me it was easier to just put my muffler back on rather than fight with them about it.

Obviously a deleted diesel is an entirely different situation and also much more difficult to convert back to stock.

bcolwell81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm in texas and the dealership wouldn't take my straight piped diesel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Around here mom and pop dealers will usually take a deleted truck but factory dealerships won't unless someone at the dealership wants to buy the truck.

Greg
2012 | 2500 | CCLB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It depends on your state and local laws. Some areas in this state require emissions testing (metro PDX and surrounding area) but most of the state doesn't...yet.

In this area most dealers would not take a delete truck because it won't pass emissions and they may not be able to sell it.

Alternately, a dealership in a rural area not subject to testing probably wouldn't have a problem.

OP
OP
B

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
I'm in Louisiana and had never heard that before. I had never really paid that much attention before. After he told me that I became very curious

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Very expensive to replace. If you have it, don't sell it or toss it out.
Dealers don't want to pay for it plus installation. Easier to just not take your deleted truck.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Most dealers won't take deleted trucks because they have to replace everything EGR, exhaust, etc. to comply with state and federal regulations. However in ETX some dealers would take them, but they would keep it for themselves or auction it off. Farmers in ETX run deleted trucks all day long, but with it being registered in a "non emissions" county they don't have all the regulations like we do in the city.

Sent From The Automotive Proof S5

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This might not be much help but I think this might be town to town. People trade deleted trucks in all the time in Indiana. I also kept my dpf in the yard barn just in case though lol.

Agreed. I see your from Evansville! What part of town?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would think that most dealers(even where they do emission testing)would just low ball the crap out of your trade and have a wholesaler waiting in the wings if you do go for it.They're not going to waist time and money making it legal again.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I would think that most dealers(even where they do emission testing)would just low ball the crap out of your trade and have a wholesaler waiting in the wings if you do go for it.They're not going to waist time and money making it legal again.

Pretty much what I would expect.

strmtrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Exactly, all about getting a new car sold.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Most states if not all require you to sign off when you sell that emissions systems are in tact.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I live on the east side these days as it is close to work. You?
I'm currently over on the East side near Lloyd/i69/Deaconess until I move next month (with my one sock).

If you need any help with 2013+ Backup Cam or Ra4 conversion let me know.

Sent from my LG G4 on Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Why trade to the dealer anyway? They're just gonna screw you.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

redvettx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
They can not resell it deleted. They may take it in on trade but your going to get 5K less as that is what it cost to re add everything you deleted. Pvt market is the best