Yep, another towing question - counter balancing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SWJewellTN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab that I bought thinking that it would tow any 5th wheel that I would want. Come to find out that the 5th wheel that I want has a dry weight of 12,500 lbs, (within the 17,150 lbs towing capacity of the diesel), but a hitch weight of 2,600 lbs. With 600 lbs of passengers the truck shows that the cargo weight is 1,865 lbs and the towing weight is 15,285 lbs. So I thought if I fill the 54 gallon fresh water tank then that would counter balance the hitch by 448 lbs making the tongue that much lighter: however, that would really depend on where that 448 lbs is located, (right behind the wheels or at the very rear of the trailer), and then there's the fact of two axles make a bit of a distributed fulcrum. So at best I'd still have a hitch weight of 2,152 lbs, (still 287 lbs over), and a tow weight of less than 13,000 lbs.

You ask the stinking camper dealers and they all say that these trailers are all delivered with 2500's so it shouldn't be a problem with my truck. Sorry, but that isn't good enough for me. So what do you all think...am I screwed or are RAM's numbers too conservative?

Cummins Powered

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 2500 4x4 3.73 gears,1994 Ram 2500 4x4 12 valve modified, Industrial Injection #5 fuel plate
Engine
6.7 Cummins, 5.9 Cummins
The numbers are to conservative go for it! The Cummins will not break a sweat, rather hauling a heavy payload, or towing way beyond it's means it's gonna get the job done.:favorites13:

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
You may find yourself adding airbags to compensate for any sag (maybe) but otherwise you should have no problem pulling or stopping with that camper with your 2500.

OP
OP
S

SWJewellTN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
The numbers are to conservative go for it! The Cummins will not break a sweat, rather hauling a heavy payload, or towing way beyond it's means it's gonna get the job done.:favorites13:

You may find yourself adding airbags to compensate for any sag (maybe) but otherwise you should have no problem pulling or stopping with that camper with your 2500.

Should I worry about counter balancing the trailer?

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
If possible, yes. But really, I'd hook up and check your weight measurements and then take it from there. You may not have to compensate as much as you think.

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
NP.
I just went out and looked at my truck and it says payload must not exceed 2100 lbs. I know I have had more than that in the bed and aside from a little squat she handled the weight just fine.

ceide4489

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The truck will not have an issue but keep in mind if you go over the trucks ratings you can still be denied insurance coverage in an accident and also if overweight at a scale you will still be fined. Not everywhere is checking but some are now

Power247

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The truck will not have an issue but keep in mind if you go over the trucks ratings you can still be denied insurance coverage in an accident and also if overweight at a scale you will still be fined. Not everywhere is checking but some are now
Very good points

ceide4489

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Easiest way to know is see if they will let you test pull and go to a scale

OP
OP
S

SWJewellTN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L

I've never stopped at a scale in my life.

CDN Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
6.7L CTD
I almost did the same thing but right prior to ordering the truck I made to decision to jump to the 3500, for the extra bed weight. Glad I did now I can really pull almost anything i want. Best of luck and let us know what the numbers worek out to.

ceide4489

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I've never stopped at a scale in my life.

I for one have been pulled over and ended up slightly overweight pulling my trailer and was forced to move all my stuff to the back of the trailer to make the weight work on the truck

I was only a few 100 pounds over but if they want to be picky they can

My bigger concern would be the insurance being void if overloaded and having worked for an insurance company previously I can assure you they look for any reason possible to deny claim.

The problem not being the vehicle but the liability coverage if you at fault in the accident. The way people love to sue today I would be a little worried about losing that coverage