1956 Dodge Power Wagon thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willbates17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 5.9
Alright guys, I've had my '65 body Power Wagon with the '72 Small Block 360 in it. The engine has really been going south lately and I need some engine options, trans options, and basically any upgrades to current components to modernize it some more. Thanks in advance!

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What do you mean by modernize it?
You can pull the engine and rebuild it. Put a cam, 4 barrel carb on, port and polish the heads, and new timing chain. Other than that, you can find a magnum engine to swap in, but you'll have to spend some money to convert that to a carb also.
As for the transmission, it really depends on what you have.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're looking to modernize it, slap a VVT 5.7 Hemi with a 65RFE behind it.
It's all a matter of budget. :)

I think putting a modern injected motor in it would be pretty darned awesome.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea. You could always put a new hemi in it. It's got alto more simple now, you can put a carb on it, and msd sells a controller for the ignition.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on budget…..you could put a 1960's era Hemi in it. If you want it to be a retro-rod and reliable, then definitely put a modern Hemi in it. May as well go for modern A/C too.

OP
OP
W

willbates17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 5.9
What do you mean by modernize it?
You can pull the engine and rebuild it. Put a cam, 4 barrel carb on, port and polish the heads, and new timing chain. Other than that, you can find a magnum engine to swap in, but you'll have to spend some money to convert that to a carb also.
As for the transmission, it really depends on what you have.

By modernize I mean bring up to date with the technology we have now, like the post below yours states throwing in the 5.7 which is something I was wondering about whether it was possible or not. Could the timing chain be causing all of my current issues with it not running well at all? I think Ill pull the motor next week if I get time.

The trans is a 4 speed granny gear.

OP
OP
W

willbates17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 5.9
Thanks for the replys so far guys. Is the 5.7 my best bet? That 360 isnt much for power but she was really reliable until it started acting up. I think we just need to put in a newer more modern engine like the 5.7. Does any one know if it takes alot of fabricating or if the motor just drops in like factory or what?

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well the transmission definitely won't bolt up to any newer engine. You'll have to find a hemi bell housing and even them you'll have to fab up some things. Your transmission is most likely a np435, I have the same in my 79 truck.
What I'd do is try to find a good running motor from a 94-2001 ram 1500. It's the 5.9 magnum engine, but it's basically a classic small block with a few upgrades. The 360s are stout motor when built up. Add a cam, intake, and maybe heads and you could be talking into the 400 hp range, possibly more torque.

Theoretically, you can put any engine you want in the truck. It's just a matter of money, time, and patience. Hell, I saw a guy at a car show with a 64' d100 with a viper engine in it. Really, it's just up to what you intend to do with the truck.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also your issue of it running rough could all be in the timing. Check top dead center on cylinder 1. Sometimes even though the balancer may say it's at top dead center, it won't be. Check by putting a piece of wire in the spark plug hole, then have a buddy rotate the crank with a socket and breaker bar on the balancer bolt.

OP
OP
W

willbates17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 5.9
Also your issue of it running rough could all be in the timing. Check top dead center on cylinder 1. Sometimes even though the balancer may say it's at top dead center, it won't be. Check by putting a piece of wire in the spark plug hole, then have a buddy rotate the crank with a socket and breaker bar on the balancer bolt.

do you think the 5.9 magnum will be better than getting a 5.7 gen 3? I was going to pull this motor and rebuild it and keep it as a spare and throw in the 5.7 after I hand build it which is the plan since it might be cheaper for me to do and a good project vs buying a crate motor or a used 5.7... maybe. When it comes to the 5.7 are there more options available upgrade-wise like heads cams springs and pistons?

I planned on putting a new trans in there anyways. It would be nice to throw a 6 speed manual in that sucker!

I will be sure to check all of that out soon, if that's the case maybe its the timing chain? We have changed every electrical component out ignition-wise and it still misses like crazy, which sounds like the problem you described.

OP
OP
W

willbates17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 5.9

Also, where should I even look for parts? Especially since I don't know much about my 360 or what to even look up parts under.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Basically every small block was the same from the 70's up to the 90s. Summit racing has a great assortment of parts for the mopar small block.
As for the transmission, if you are really gung-ho on the hemi idea. Then you'd need to find a donor truck with a hemi and 4x4. Then just swap the whole power train into the 65'. Your would need to get some new driveshafts made because the old ones won't fit. The best, but possibly hardest option, would be to get that donor truck, and just put the body of the 65 onto the frame. You should try to find a 2500 ram with a hemi, as it's a heavier frame and has solid axles.

OP
OP
W

willbates17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 5.9
Basically every small block was the same from the 70's up to the 90s. Summit racing has a great assortment of parts for the mopar small block.
As for the transmission, if you are really gung-ho on the hemi idea. Then you'd need to find a donor truck with a hemi and 4x4. Then just swap the whole power train into the 65'. Your would need to get some new driveshafts made because the old ones won't fit. The best, but possibly hardest option, would be to get that donor truck, and just put the body of the 65 onto the frame. You should try to find a 2500 ram with a hemi, as it's a heavier frame and has solid axles.

Lol I was just on Jegs actually. I just looked up parts under the 72 since the 65 body didnt come with the 360. Ill keep updating you with details about the truck timing and stuff when I get home from work and get a look at it. Worst comes to worst I just buy a timing chain kit with the gaskets and all, hell I don't think its ever been changed since my dad dropped the motor into it when he was 17, and he is now 60.... lol. He would be pretty happy if I get this thing to run smooth again.

By whole drive train you're talking transfer case as well? I guess ill have to do some drawings and measurements soon to see what will need to be made.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I mean motor transmission and transfer case. The 65 will most likely have an np201 transfer case. Which is a mammoth case, we have a 63 power wagon with 4 speed, and pto winch. The original t-case will most likely be a divorced case, which means there will be a small shaft running between the transmission and the t case.
Some people have put 5 speed manuals in the 70s trucks, but it takes a lot of custom fab work.

OP
OP
W

willbates17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LA 5.9
Yes I mean motor transmission and transfer case. The 65 will most likely have an np201 transfer case. Which is a mammoth case, we have a 63 power wagon with 4 speed, and pto winch. The original t-case will most likely be a divorced case, which means there will be a small shaft running between the transmission and the t case.
Some people have put 5 speed manuals in the 70s trucks, but it takes a lot of custom fab work.

Gotcha, I mean I know I'll have a lot of fab work already but I will try to keep it as non-invasive as possible. It would be nice to keep it a manual though. I guess what i'll start with is just getting the stock engine running smooth again before I drop in a new motor or anything especially since you said I can get a lot more power of of her. Definitely needs a new clutch though! :naughty:

After that Id like to do the valve train and upgrade the cam, followed by the carb and intake manifold, unless you have some ideas as to where I should start after it starts running smoothly.

Do you have anything done to your power wagon?