2013 Power Wagon in the Dunes - Pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
We went back to the nearby Coral Pink Sand Dunes that are not far from Zion National Park here in Utah over the weekend.

Aired down and had a great time exploring both the big dunes and squeezing down the narrow UTV trails in the area.

Due to the cooler temps and recent rain and snow, there was plenty of moisture in the sand and the Dunes had been blown smooth for a nice "Skate Park" experience.

Odd romping around snow covered sand dunes.

Absolutely no one around on Saturday, and on Sunday there were only about ten quads out total in the whole park. I got some odd looks from them as I romped about. It was safer in my opinion to follow them about, then worry about encountering their group over a blind rise playing follow the leader. So I chased them around at a safe distance. :roflsquared:

Just wished I had at least one other full size rig to play with, or at least have around in case I got carried away and stuck it as, unless you are right on the perimeter to the park near trees or rocks, there isn't anything even to use as a winch anchor point.

But, it never came to that, as the Power Wagon (once aired down) was seemingly unstoppable. The only issue, being the lower front brush guard cross bar stuffing into the sand at the bottom of some VERY steep dunes, where it was well beyond a 45 deg decline or in a few spots where it immediately went back up another incline creating a sharp "V' at the base. Skimmed the belly skid plates dropping into some bowls and off ledges, but with a little momentum it slid right across and down, with nothing more than a few pounds of pretty orange sand stuffed in the undercarriage nooks and crannies.

Enjoy the Pics!

Attachments

• 0208141649a.jpg
    0208141649a.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 0208141649.jpg
    0208141649.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 249
  • 0208141648.jpg
    0208141648.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 0208141651.jpg
    0208141651.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There are miles of UTV / Quad trails that run out of the dunes, into the pretty area surrounding the park full of trees and more technical climbs that varied from muddy fields to rock gardens. I tried , and for the most part, made it wherever I wanted, until for the sake of the paint, I quit as most trails are lined with either sharp scrub, or very tough bare branches and roots just waiting to gouge into the sides of the rig.

I escaped with little or no scratches, despite some tight going.

This rig WILL go anywhere. The only limiting factors being driver skill, confidence and a willingness to give it a shot.

I stumbled across a very tall / deep berm dug out by ATV's on a "worm trail" and thought I would again check out the PW's impressive amount of suspension travel. With the swaybar disconnect, the suspension stuffed and drooped to insane levels, with minimal, if any frame flex. In he attached photos I only used 4WD to position myself for the shot. The tight LSD and awesome articulation allowed all four wheels to remain on the ground. There was no need to engage the Lockers, as it walked right in and out of the obstacle, no problem. :happy107:

Attachments

• 0209141410.jpg
    0209141410.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 0209141409a.jpg
    0209141409a.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 0209141423.jpg
    0209141423.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 0209141422.jpg
    0209141422.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 189
OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
We did some impressive runs up the steepest dunes there and even made a few bowl shots. I am just so irritated that I still have not been able to locate my GoPro since my move out here. I may just buy another, since they just keep getting better and better. But, this trip would have made for some incredible "action" footage.

The wife and I settled on a nice hillside to park and watch some guys jumping a dune. Once they were done, it was fun just to hang out and enjoy the incredible view and peace and quiet being left all alone out there.

I will purchase another vid camera and go back. I could spend all weekend just playing and collecting footage to put together a great video for YouTube.

Especially in these great conditions.

Thanks for looking ! :favorites13:

Attachments

• 0209141507.jpg
    0209141507.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 0209141507a.jpg
    0209141507a.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 0209141508.jpg
    0209141508.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 99

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Really liking those pictures you posted, thank you for that.

Power Wagons are beasts from everything I have seen/read online. Doesn't seem like much stops these trucks from going where they want, unless you don't want trashed paint. lol!

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I hate you (in a jealous kind of way). NorthernCalifornia has such limited access where it's either rocks or OHV Parks which lack the openness you get out there.

Thanks for reminding me what I miss. I keep joking with my boss as well as my wife about planning a run out there, I'll show both of them this topic. :D

OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
C'mon out. I'll take you on a tour of all the hidden out of the way Gems.

Plus, you can run around and hit the circle of awesome National Parks nearby, from Zion, Bryce to Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon, then cool off in Lake Powell!

Weren't you in Morgan Hill? or above San Francisco?

You can still run down to Oceano State Beach (Pismo) OHV area and try the sand, but you have to deal with the salt water, overcast conditions and the infamous stream crossing that can be pretty nasty if the tide is up and the moon is in the right spot. But, we used to go and camp there many, many times when I lived in CA over the last 40 years.

There are plenty of coin operated spray yourself bays right off the beach, but you will never get every grain of sand out of your interior.

Bad thing here about Black Carpets and bright Orange mud / sand. But, it is a truck. And I intend to use it for the reason I purchased it. So, no regrets.

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Been to all of those spots and definitely could stand to revisit to show the family the areas.

Weren't you in Morgan Hill? or above San Francisco?

Pretty much when it comes down to the territory I work in. North of San Francisco was for trips/runs and service/repairs on stuff I needed a better expertise on.

As for Pismo, yeah, honestly done and over with that. Years pass and you'll still be finding sand in the frame and interior and spots of rust on a body and frame.

Carpet Beetles and red sand can be taken care of a lot easier. Heck I got one of the beetles all dried up sitting in resin somewhere, fell out of the old rig's headliner when I redid the interior. :D (I do hate the holes they cause from eating though.)

p.s. Apparently you've been away long enough to forget it's technically "Morgan Hell". ;)

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
what is hanging underneath the rear of your truck?? almost looks like the shock broke, but it aint yellow..

OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
what is hanging underneath the rear of your truck?? almost looks like the shock broke, but it aint yellow..

I balled up an old Raccoon skin cap and zip tied it to the driver side shock mount. It looks like a critter hanging on to the rear axle and when in motion or with a light wind in a parking lot, the tail moves like it is wagging.

Absolutely freaks people out. I get all sorts of reactions from people following me for miles pointing at it, to people approaching me in parking lots to tell me I ran something over and there is a dead animal under the truck or a live creature up under there just hanging around. Most chuckle. Some are scared ****less and will not approach it even after I tell them its a joke!

:p

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Very jealous! I wish we had some better places to go play around here.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Behind the scenes shot captured by my wife.

Prior to airing down, the BFG A/Ts were oddly getting packed with a damp sand condition that reacted similar to thick mud that packed the tread blocks, turning them into big powdered donuts. I had never seen sand do this before.

I can't tell you how many times this thing has been resting on it's belly skid plates or diff covers appearing to be hopelessly stuck. Only needing to pull out a little more air, go to 4Lo, engage the lockers and have it walk itself right on out.

Incredible truck. :rockit:

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 146