2015 Power Wagon towing capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Masterchiefbt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel
I am a new owner of a 2015 Laramie Power Wagon and curious as to why the significant loss of towing capacities across the board to a same year Laramie 2500 HD? Is it because of all the flexibility for the off road performance? I crawled under mine today (new PW) and my previous 2014 1500 Sport was no where close to the "stoutness" of this PW yet the towing capacities almost the same? Or am I missing something.....

No matter what my new PW is an awesome truck!:)

Searay245se

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have the same PW and I think a big diff between the regular 2500 HD and the PW the make the numbers lower are the tires.The 2500 HD has the heavy duty truck (I think)8 ply tires set at 80 psi and the PW has more of an off road tire set at 60 psi and 65 psi.Dealer set mine at 80 psi the day I picked mine up and it was like driving on ice till I figured it out.Also I think the PW has softer springs for more flex when off roading.Whatever the diff I love my PW and its all the truck I need.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
There are a lot of variables that go into the payload calculations. Power Wagons likely are rated so low due to how the combination of lift, suspension flex, springs and tire size/type affect cornering and braking performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Tires and springs are the big difference then subtract all the additional the weight of the winch, lockers and e-disconnect assemblies.

OP
OP
Masterchiefbt

Masterchiefbt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This just adds to the confusion....ramtrucks.com.....I know it's not the guiding document button would think that Ram would get this right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 341
OP
OP
Masterchiefbt

Masterchiefbt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is for the 2015 PW Laramie......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 579

excalibrate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
PW towing capacity

Although some of the other things that were mentioned add weight and reduce capacity, the main reason, as I understand it, is the springs. Most trucks have a progressive rate spring. Tension increases as it is compressed. the Power Wagon utilizes a linear rate spring. Same tension over the compression distance. That gives it a much better ride and articulation. Perfect for what the power wagon is built for.
In my opinion, You should be able to add some air bags if you plan to tow more than 11,000 lbs and be fine. Thats just my opinion. But everything else on the truck is as strong, and in some cases, stronger than its 2500 brother.

OP
OP
Masterchiefbt

Masterchiefbt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info. I have my PW out towing this weekend for a short trip away from home to check things out. Trailer weighs 9k and I did have some Ride Rite airbags installed. I aired the bags to 30 psi and trailer towed perfect. I was worried but no more. It is light years different from my 1500. Thanks again for the advise.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963