2016 Power Wagon Performance upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Towjam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hello all Power Wagon nuts. I'm new here and wondering if anyone has done or knows of performance upgrades other than K&N filters, programmers, exhaust etc. It looks like no one makes a supercharger kit yet and not sure if they will. I'd like to get over 600hp but not sure if that's possible without ripping out the motor and rebuilding it. I know the PW is built for straight line speed and I love taking it off road. I'm tired of every other truck pulling up next to me and wanting to race because they see Power Wagon and don't understand what it is. Especially Toyota's and Raptors. Like I said I know the PW isn't built for straight line speed but it would be fun to utterly destroy those ******** then hook them up and drag them all over town. Lemme know your thoughts when you can. Thanks

OP
OP
Towjam

Towjam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Ha ha. I don't want to blow it up. I talked to a engine builder in the area. I am going to pull the motor and build the crap out of it.

Kenneth1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Limited 4x4
Engine
They make pro chargers and Whipple super chargers for the 6.4 but those only add about 150 hp according to there site .

OP
OP
Towjam

Towjam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I contacted Pro Charger a few months ago. They have one that will work but they haven't designed all the mounts and accessories etc. yet so that's a not go at the moment. I need to find a Hemi Guru. From what I have read, the SRT motor is tuned for performance and the PW motor is built for low end torque, which makes sense. The PW is also severely limited/detuned from the factory. It also seems that the air intake on the SRT goes to the right instead of the left, when facing the motor. I have had some whiskey so that may contribute to the view. With that being said I would like to go with a new cam which entails a lot of extras. Cams can also be specific for supercharged motors as well. I would also like to put in the 6.4L 392 HEMI VVT Based 426 Stroker Kit by Modern Muscle Performance with ported heads and intake manifold along with long tube headers and exhaust, bigger throttle body and air intake. I'm assuming that with all that I will have to change the thermostat and fuel injectors as well and probably a lot more. On top of all that I would need to add the Modified PCM & Trinity Combo 2016 6.4L - 6 Speed 2500 from Diablo and have a local tuner dial everything in. I would be curious to see what that would do and holy crap it will be expensive. I better start working some overtime!

AlaskaTRX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Truck 6.4L

You may or may not know this, but the truck 6.4L is a different engine than the 6.4L in the cars and SRTs. Redesigned specifically for the HD trucks with low-end torque and reliability in mind. Nothing swaps between the two if I recall correctly...

OP
OP
Towjam

Towjam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You may or may not know this, but the truck 6.4L is a different engine than the 6.4L in the cars and SRTs. Redesigned specifically for the HD trucks with low-end torque and reliability in mind. Nothing swaps between the two if I recall correctly...[/QUOT

I agree and disagree. The motors are essentially the same but tuned differently. The SRT motor is built for more performance and the PW motor is built for more low end torque and restricted from the factory. I cannot seem to find what internals separate the motors in terms of performance etc. I should have mentioned in my first post that I'm not sure if the mods I want to make will even work with my motor. I'll do some more research and let you know.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I agree and disagree. The motors are essentially the same but tuned differently. The SRT motor is built for more performance and the PW motor is built for more low end torque and restricted from the factory. I cannot seem to find what internals separate the motors in terms of performance etc. I should have mentioned in my first post that I'm not sure if the mods I want to make will even work with my motor. I'll do some more research and let you know.

Not looking in the right place, Ram themselves stated heads, cam, intake all different. Focused on it being a work truck. :favorites13:

AlaskaTRX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
You may or may not know this, but the truck 6.4L is a different engine than the 6.4L in the cars and SRTs. Redesigned specifically for the HD trucks with low-end torque and reliability in mind. Nothing swaps between the two if I recall correctly...[/QUOT

I'll have to check my sources, too; I thought that the heads and everything was different, but maybe not.

OP
OP
Towjam

Towjam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Sorry for the delay but I have been doing much research on the subject. So basically there is no difference, internally, between the SRT and the Wagon except computer, gearing etc. and we can argue that on a different thread. Neither motor has a forged lower end. No vehicle comes from the factory with a forged lower end. I'm not positive that applies to the Hellcat,Trackhawk or Demon for all you A holes out there who just tuned in, read this and want to be a *****.
I talked to the folks at ShopHemi.com who is also known as Arrington Performance. They are very professional know what they are talking about. Arrington seems to be one of the few who offer a Supercharger for the 2016 PW. That's when I learned about the forged lower end and why you need to do it when you add a supercharger. I never thought of it. It turns out that there is not a "stock bolt on" supercharger kit for the PW and it would have to be custom fit in shop. Which would not be a problem. I would just have to save a few more months. We then started talking about a naturally aspirated 448 Stroker with a complete forged lower end etc and it would of been beautiful but the 66RFE transmission wont handle the power and there is no valid replacement that I know of other than a lot of money and 66RFE's.
So I'm going with the AFE twisted steel long tube headers, Mach Force 4" Exhaust and a cold air intake. In the end that should leave me with close to 480hp and 515 TQ which will be fine.

scoutpappa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 dodge power wagon
Engine
I'm on the fence with the power issue. I'm feeling transmission slip more than anything. Looking at firming that up before I look into the engine.

OP
OP
Towjam

Towjam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'm on the fence with the power issue. I'm feeling transmission slip more than anything. Looking at firming that up before I look into the engine.

The transmission is the weak link in the whole thing. I've still been looking for someone that makes an upgrade for the 66RFE. I finally contacted Moe's Performance and Matt told me that there is currently not a built unit or one that can be ordered, that he knows of, that's holding up any better than stock. He also said that any WOT downshifts out of overdrive at highway speeds are the #1 reason for transmission failure.

scoutpappa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 dodge power wagon
Engine
The transmission is the weak link in the whole thing. I've still been looking for someone that makes an upgrade for the 66RFE. I finally contacted Moe's Performance and Matt told me that there is currently not a built unit or one that can be ordered, that he knows of, that's holding up any better than stock. He also said that any WOT downshifts out of overdrive at highway speeds are the #1 reason for transmission failure.

damnit. take a trip to the mountains loaded down with a camper and kids and I'm sure that happened more than once...or Houston traffic, either way.

OP
OP
Towjam

Towjam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
LOL Papa! I have done a ton of research since my last post. I have come to the hard realization that I'm not a rich man. I can't afford to put in the engine I would like. If I could, I would put in an Arrington 426 long block and then supercharge it. I would also add AFE headers, 4" exhaust, 87mm throttle body and a custom tune from Hemifever. I would also have to add an upgraded clutch and line booster from Sonnax. All said and done over 30k.

So I added a Pedal Commander yesterday and wow!. I'll be installing the AFE headers and exhaust in the next few weeks along with the Momentum GT Pro-GUARD 7 Cold Air Intake. When that's done I will install the Diablo from Hemifever with a custom tune and let y'all know.

Last edited:

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
I would sooner put a Honda engine in my hellcat then any engine built by arrington. The Truck Block is completely different then a Car based 392. Hellcat and Demon blocks are based off the Truck Block. One of if not the best Hemi Builder in the country is Dave @ Modern Muscle Extreme. I would Contact Randy Reyes @ Randys Transmissions out of Utah about the trans issues, but be forwarned your pocket book is gonna have to open. My 68RFE Stage 4 for my Truck ran close to $8700 to get built.

OP
OP
Towjam

Towjam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Geeze. Tell me how you really feel about Arrington. Just kidding. I thought they were solid. The only issue is that you're talking about the 68RFE, which is diesel and has a ton of upgrade options and can handle a ***** load of TQ. The PW comes with the 66RFE which is limited and weak when trying to add HP/TQ. The only tranny option I have found to handle the extra HP/TQ was Sonnax.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Geeze. Tell me how you really feel about Arrington. Just kidding. I thought they were solid. The only issue is that you're talking about the 68RFE, which is diesel and has a ton of upgrade options and can handle a ***** load of TQ. The PW comes with the 66RFE which is limited and weak when trying to add HP/TQ. The only tranny option I have found to handle the extra HP/TQ was Sonnax.

The 68 and 66 share a lot of the same parts internally.

scoutpappa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 dodge power wagon
Engine
I did the reflash on the tranny last week and at least the downshifts are synced. I saw another post (can't remember the forum) where the guy changed out the ATF and said it took out a lot of the slop. Leaning that way now. Finally at 10K plus on the odometer so the engine is definitely loosening up which has made a huge impact on pedal feel.

Michael Shelswell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There is tons on parts you can throw at it being a 392 Hemi like all the SRT motors. many different blowers out there like baggy, pro charger and whipple kenny bell. You can do a cam and heads headers, the best thing is find a good local tuner and have it dyno tuned using HP Tuners, you will see the best results from that. also they can tune the TCM and you'll be very happy with that.