Air bags or extra leafs, thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GirlPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have a 2013 PW. Getting ready to take up north on a hunting trip where I will be carrying quad, sled deck all of my gear an any game (400-600lb moose)

Just when and picked up a number of bricks for some yard work this weekend, about 1300 lbs and noticed how much the back end dropped. Now am a little worried about loading my gear. I don't pull a trailer. Would not be god for where I go.

There are no overload springs on the PW. I was shocked.

Anyway, thinking of getting airbags or extra leafs added at the back. Any opinions as to which would be better.

predator800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 litre
Your post got me doing some research. The power wagon doesn't have the 2500 payload capacity. Even the salesmen at dealership didn't know. One of the reasons I wanted a power wagon was to put a sled deck on it, carry two sleds, fuel and gear under it. I think it will be over loaded with that kind of load. If I have to pull a trailer, then I can save money and get 1500.

predator800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 litre
Carli suspensions had a high quality air bag system. You'd loose articulation in the rear with extra leaf spring.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Firestone airbags and daystar cradles. Best option out there for a power wagon...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Kbhowe1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
GirlPower,
I am in the same boat you are in. Although I have a 14 PW with coils but same situation. I opted for he timbren helper springs instead of air bags. Not only are they a little cheaper but I was worried the in mountains I would tear an air bag or an air line (which I read happens on the PW's because of their flex). The timbren look like a big bump stop but are hollow and allow compression. I installed them this past weekend in about 30min. I have only put about 500lbs in the bed so far but before they dropped 2" and after it stopped at the 1" when hitting the timbren. This weekend I will be on a bear hunt and will have a 4wheeler and plenty of camping stuff in the bed. I will let you know how it does. I can tell you that unloaded there is no change in ride at all.

Kbhowe1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looks like this after install. Again it's a 14 so I have coils not leaf springs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 53

predator800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 litre
Take a picture of her loaded up so we can see if or how much it squats. I think I'm still out of luck as my payload would be over 1500lbs.

Kbhowe1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will for sure this weekend. The real test will be in sept, when I go on a 10 day elk hunt. I will be very much loaded and I will for sure let you know how it does.

OP
OP
GirlPower

GirlPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kbhowe1, sounds like you do the same stuff we do. Little disappointed. We went with the PW as we thought it had all the muscle of the 2500 and then some. We are in the same boat as predator800... Sled deck, quad, gas cans and moose hopefully we will be over 1500 pounds as well. Little disappointed in dealership as we were explicit in what the truck would be doing.

Kbhowe1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah the sales guy told us payload was at least 2500 and said probably 3000. After I found out the tech in the back told me to put air bags and call it good. So the max payload I will ever admit to is going to be 1450.

Now here is a pic from this weekend with about 700lbs tongue weight of trailer an about 400lbs of coolers and camp gear in he bed. Not quite the 1300 like you put in but close enough to compare. Also, with wife and brother-in-law we were ate the 1450 mark on the freeway and the timbren springs rode great, I really liked the ride felt just like factory, but truck only squatted about 4 inches total maybe. In the pic you can see it doesn't look too bad.

When we were unloaded in the mountains I couldn't even tell the timbren springs were their. I am happy with them and think they will help with the payload issue.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
GirlPower

GirlPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. Ours will be right on the back. No trailer. So I wonder if the power wagons just have the load capacity of the 1500s. Have to do some research

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kbhowe1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What I found out for mine is they have the same axels, same brakes, and same frame as all the 2500's. The only difference is the springs are softer allowing for flex for off roading. My thoughts are if you help out the springs then you are not overloading the rest of the truck. I believe worst case scenario if you switched out the springs with standard 2500 springs then your payload would increase, but the easiest and cheapest route would be to add helper springs or overload springs and you should be good to go.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Payload is a fixed number that cannot be changed. You can add/replace parts to make it handle the extra weight, but you're not changing the payload ratings from the factory.
Power Wagons have always had a much lower payload rating than regular 2500s.

OP
OP
GirlPower

GirlPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So do you know what the payload rating is for a power wagon. Very frustrating when you explicitly tell not only the salesman but the service manager what you plan for the truck and they do not know there own products

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Should be on a sticker in the door jamb. Here's mine from my 1500 (1272 lbs).

uploadfromtaptalk1408498804416.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1408498804416.jpg

OP
OP
GirlPower

GirlPower

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Perfect thank you

Kbhowe1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just wanted to share, here is a pallet of pellets (say that 10 times in a row) loaded in my PW with the timbren helper springs. It did squat a little but not as much as I thought it would.

image.jpg