Correct Tire Pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitty100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2016 Powerwagon with less than a thousand miles on it, and I have the stock factory Wranglers on it. My tire pressure warning indicator came on yesterday. My dashboard system tells me that my tire pressure for all 4 tires is 81 to 82 pounds. in checking the sidewalls of the tires, they indicate a max PSI of 65. The VIN plate on the driver door frame indicates 60 PSI in front and 65 PSI in rear. It's my understanding that HD truck tires should have a higher PSI, but that may be bad info. I know the warning system will activate if the tires are overinflated, as I experienced this on my previous Ram TRX, when I had a brain fart and overinflated the tires. With that being said, and before I go deflate my tires to where I think they should be according to the info on the tire and the VIN plate on the door frame, what PSI should I put in my Powerwagon factory tires for basic everyday driving....?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Run what's on the door plate.
maybe 1-2 lbs more is fine.

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
correct pressure is on the door its calculated by your vehicles weight, your right it is more for heavy duty, a 1500 with regular tires like my crew is only 39 I run 40. use the info on the door and you will be good to go.

Last edited:

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I run 50 psi front and 45 psi rear on my 2015 for normal daily driving. I have to acknowledge the TPMS alert every time I start the truck, and live with the amber dash light. I inflate per the door sticker for heavy towing/hauling (which I don't do much of).

Max pressure is too high for no-load daily driving. When I took delivery, all four were over 90 psi, which is too high even for the real HD trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

walc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4L
TPMS is set per the door decal for 60 front and 65 rear cold.
Vehicles are shipped, from the factory to the dealer, overinflated.
I always inflate according to the door decals. I figure the factory engineers know more than I do.

peter123wallace

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L V6
Yap, the correct pressure is calculated by the vehicles weight and it's right on the door.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thread from the past...I just bought a new PW and the 65psi for an empty rig seems over the top. I can see it if you are at max payload but empty seems high. Does anyone know what the tmps warning goes off at psi wise? I searched but did not really see anything addressing it but just learning the layout of this site. thanks

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
thread from the past...I just bought a new PW and the 65psi for an empty rig seems over the top. I can see it if you are at max payload but empty seems high. Does anyone know what the tmps warning goes off at psi wise? I searched but did not really see anything addressing it but just learning the layout of this site. thanks
55psi.
You have to inflate all the way back to 65 psi for the light to turn off. then you can deflate back down to 56 but on cold mornings it will drop a few degrees and the light will come on.
I like 60 in the front and 56 in the rear in the summer. I run 58 in the colder months. But I’m not empty. My everyday gear and build out is 550-600 lbs.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks, I was hoping I could run under 60psi.

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thuren has a Good You-Tube Video on Setting Tire Pressures

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
What's on the door plate are the tire pressure settings when the truck is carrying at its maximum load. The TPMS parameters are set for the heaviest load conditions. Normal people don't drive around carrying the maximum load everyday in their trucks unless that's their destiny in life.

My TPMS light stays on and it also warns of the low tire pressures. Better than a harsher ride and prematurely wearing the tires out in the middle. New tires aren't cheap and can wear out fast when they are over inflated under a lightly loaded truck.

https://roadtraveler.net/dodge-ram-2500-psi/

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is no universal tire pressure as it depends on the truck, the tires, load, driving style, etc.... The factory recommend tire pressure is based on the original factory tires and the truck being fully loaded to GVW. For an empty truck you can get a substantially better ride, better traction, and often better tire wear by running lower pressures.

On my '16 I replaced the factory tires with 35" E-load rated tires shortly after buying it. The 35's have a max PSI of 65 and that is what the tire shop inflated them to during installation. Drove for a few days before playing with the pressure. Eventually dropped to 50 psi front and 40 psi rear for daily driving. There was a huge improvement in ride quality. Wet pavement traction is better....at the higher pressures it would spin from a take off pretty easy (traction control off) but now you have to get on it pretty hard to do so. I've made several 200-300 mile road trips running up to 75 mph on the freeway with no issue. I've towed smaller 4,000ish lb trailers with the same pressure. When I tow heavier I will raise the rear pressure, or if I ever haul very heavy loads in the bed for long distances. On my previous Chevy 2500D I ran a couple sets of D-load rated tires with a max 65 psi rating at about 55 psi front and 45 psi rear. Had around 50k miles on one set and around 30k miles on the second set when I sold the truck.

OverlandingGoat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm running 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers and did the chalk test as well. The tires seem to respond really well at around 45 to 48 PSI cold.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so does anybody know the actual psi threshold that the warning alert goes off?

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
https://tirepressure.com/2019-ram-2500-tire-pressure

There's a lot of different tire PSI settings for the Ram 2500s. They are specified for each model and even the different tire sizes available.

One scientific method for obtaining the actual psi TPMS thresholds for the Power Wagon model would be to incrementally lower a tire pressure by 1 PSI, then drive it. When the warning comes on, check on the screen as to what it shows as the PSI of that tire.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

There's a lot of different tire PSI settings for the Ram 2500s. They are specified for each model and even the different tire sizes available.

One scientific method for obtaining the actual psi TPMS thresholds for the Power Wagon model would be to incrementally lower a tire pressure by 1 PSI, then drive it. When the warning comes on, check on the screen as to what it shows as the PSI of that tire.

I am asking specifically about the power wagons, I think they all come with same tires D rated tires and all have 60F65R psi on the label so I bet the threshold is set the same on them. I could drop down a pound at a time, but I figured somebody might possibly have that information already..

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
The Power Wagon 60F65 PSI has remained unchanged for the recent years, unlike some of the other models. For example the first listing in the links below of the Big Horn's 2018 and 2019 were lowered for the rear tires by some 15 PSI. Why?

https://tirepressure.com/2018-ram-2500-tire-pressure

Since the Power Wagon is a low volume production vehicle the TPMS thresholds for it might not be as readily available from the few of us somebodies whom drive one. A good portion of us moved up in the size of tires over stock ASAP at a lower PSI setting and so the TPMS thresholds no longer are applicable.

The D rated tires were too squirrelly even when fully inflated to the 60F65R while under a towing load on my Power Wagon for safe travel at highway speed. Crossing Interstate highway bridge expansion joints caused the truck to wiggle in its rear. I had to dump them.

Scotts26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am asking specifically about the power wagons, I think they all come with same tires D rated tires and all have 60F65R psi on the label so I bet the threshold is set the same on them. I could drop down a pound at a time, but I figured somebody might possibly have that information already..

My TPMS light came on right around 50 PSI. In general the threshold is 20% below the tire placard if I’m not mistaken.

My light has stayed on because I’m running 45 front and 40 rear unloaded on my 35’s except for the couple hundreds lbs of gear and tools in the decked system.

Hoping AEV will work whatever the power wagon bugs are out of their procal snap otherwise I’ll eventually go the AlfaOBD route.

retired

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My TPMS light came on right around 50 PSI. In general the threshold is 20% below the tire placard if I’m not mistaken.

My light has stayed on because I’m running 45 front and 40 rear unloaded on my 35’s except for the couple hundreds lbs of gear and tools in the decked system.

Hoping AEV will work whatever the power wagon bugs are out of their procal snap otherwise I’ll eventually go the AlfaOBD route.
thanks. I need to stop by AEV's R&D shop and find out what the hold up is. I hate having the light on but there is no reason to be running max pressure when running empty.