Dana 44 front axle parts needed! Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenword

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi!
I'm new to this forum and 4x4 trucks in general. I'm trying to fix up a 1974 3/4 ton Dodge 4x4. I believe the correct model designation is W200. I'm trying to rebuild the front brakes and have had trouble getting parts. The truck has a dana 44 front axle marked 44 3EF. It has front drum brakes with 2" wide shoes. I currently am trying to find replacement locking rings for the spindle nuts, a wrench to fit the nuts, and new grease seals for the hubs.
This would seem to be simple but every parts place I've been to lists parts that are to large for my axle!
Where do I find what fits?

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think that most parts from a chevy from that year will fit the axle. Dana is a general axle and didn't limit itself to one brand of truck.

Theres not much in parts and stuff when it comes to old dodges, but chevy's and fords are aftermarket heaven.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think that most parts from a chevy from that year will fit the axle. Dana is a general axle and didn't limit itself to one brand of truck.

Theres not much in parts and stuff when it comes to old dodges, but chevy's and fords are aftermarket heaven.

True for the stuff inside the balljoints, but outside, not so true.

That's why it is $100 bucks to convert a chevy FT D44 to part time with lockouts, but the dodge version is almost $1000 cuz everything outside of the ujoint in the axle shaft must be changed out.

OP
OP
K

kenword

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys, but I already tried Rock Auto to no avail. They do list the parts, but only for the truck with a 4500 pound axle, whatever that was. The most promising lead so far is from another 4x4 site where it was suggested to try nuts for an old CJ with a Dana 30. Looks like I'll have to pop my lockout hub back off and measure the spindle diameter to know for sure what I need. By the way, can I upgrade to slotted nuts and the lock ring using a lock pin if I find the right size?

Driftwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
Hi, I've got a 1973 W200 with the same relative issues. There were two axle options for the W200, the 3500 and 4500 lb option. While I can't help you find the parts, I can tell you what I'm working on now.

I picked up a 1989 dodge W250 axle from a junk yard for $50. It was a dana 44 with disc brakes and full time outers. I am in the process of swapping all the components from the knuckles out over to the 73 axle. So far, so good. As it turns out, all dodge dana 44 lockers are the same for almost 20 years, so the locking hubs should swap for me. I'm in it for about $400 in parts, as I'm only reusing the knuckle, spindle, hub, and outer axle shaft.

I'll let you know how it works out when I get finished.