Dead Lockers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djp699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,

I have a 2011 PW with 50,000 miles on it. I have never had any trouble with the lockers but the swaybar was problematic, usually just the blinking light.

It went in once to the local dealer to diagnose the swaybar but they know nothing about PW's, the service manager just said "looks like you need a new $1,600 swaybar".

I have never got the Service 4WD light.

We went to Moab a couple weeks ago and were just getting ready to hit the trail and the locker switch was dead. There were no flashing lights, no nothing, it was just dead. Pretty lame deal after drving all that way to get there.

Anyway we figured it was a fuse, so we went though all the fuses but never found anything. I pulled the smartbar connector off for the first time ever and it was full of dirt. Later back in town we blew it out and put dielectric grease on the connections and went through the fuses again plus checked all of the locker connections but nothing made any difference.

Everything else electrical on the truck works fine, it is just the lockers/swaybar that are dead.

I have been searching the internet but have not ran across anyone having this exact problem, can anyone here help me out?

Thanks!

btw it was still a fun Moab trip, just ran easier trails and had a blast.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like a possible fuse?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

djp699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As a follow up it was in the dealership for two days and they could not figure it out. Their solution was to propose replacing everything, smartbar, wiring, etc. to the tune of $3,400. I said no thanks.

I guess I will have to go the manual disconnecting swaybar, hard wired lockers route.

If anybody has any ideas I'm still all ears.

At least I got to put ball joints in it while it was in there.

Pretty disappointing durability. This truck has only been in the mud once in its life, offroad maybe half dozen times and has only pulled light trailers, sheesh.

armymgdude

Reaction score
Have you checked the connector to the smartbar? There could be corrosion there, and if the smartbar doesn't operate, neither will the lockers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
corrosion from the winter months causes havoc on electrical items, especially if your the type than never washes the chassis underside. doesn't sound like anything mechanical is at fault. I would guess its a simple electrical problem somewhere. just a matter of tracking it down