Dumping My 2003 Tacoma for PW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwjunkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2105 RAM Laramie Power Wagon
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I am new to the forum. First post here. I am long over due for the RAM Power Wagon. My wife has been pushing me for years to make the move to a larger truck. On 19 November 2014 I ordered a 2015 Laramie Power Wagon, silver. I now spend the long dreaded waiting period deciding what mods/add-ons I am incorporating after it arrives. It gets spendy fast so it will definitely be in phases for sure. Thank you all for the great information you all have provided in your posts. There is a wealth of knowledge here. My first additions are a Warn 16.5 ti winch to replace the 12,000 stock winch (just bought it last weekend), a Fab Fours winch bumper with pre-runner bar, Snugtop canopy (its my work truck so I need this to keep tools/equip dry), and 35" ProComp extreme MT2s, and Aluminess rock slider bar only. Others are Rigid lights, new wheels, cold air intake, etc. I will post more after the truck arrives. Cheers!!

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure why you would wanna upgrade the winch but it's your money. I have a 2012 PW ST and we haven't wanted for a more powerful ANYTHING to this point. You're really gonna be surprised with the capability of these beasts from the factory. I suggest that you use the thing for a few months before you decide what you need. Probably save you a few bucks. (These things are amazing, you'll see.)

OP
OP
P

pwjunkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Have you added/changed anything to your PW since you bought it? Are the 33" tires working for you? Are you off-road in rough terrain often? Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
P

pwjunkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Not sure why you would wanna upgrade the winch but it's your money. I have a 2012 PW ST and we haven't wanted for a more powerful ANYTHING to this point. You're really gonna be surprised with the capability of these beasts from the factory. I suggest that you use the thing for a few months before you decide what you need. Probably save you a few bucks. (These things are amazing, you'll see.)
I upgraded the 12000 stock winch with a 16.5 because the 12000 rating is essentially the bare winch uncoiled. There is a significant drop in "pulling" power with increasing coils on the winch (approx. values follow); 2 coils = 9480, 3 coils = 7800, 4 coils = 6720, 5 coils = 5760, 6 coils (full) = 5160

"The curb weight on the Ram Power Wagon is over 7,000 pounds before our fat ass even climbs in." So doing the math... yep, my highest priority is going with a higher rated winch no matter the cost. Being stuck somewhere in remote western US is not fun. Been there, done it. Some things are not worth compromising on if one has similar off-road desires. Granted, its not for everyone.

webdogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC Laramie Longhorn
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I was just wondering last night if it was possible to put a winch off of the Power Wagon into the bumper on my truck....Have you found a home for the OEM winch? Sending you a PM.

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you added/changed anything to your PW since you bought it? Are the 33" tires working for you? Are you off-road in rough terrain often? Thanks for the advice.

No, I haven't changed a thing since I bought it. As far as the 33's go other than the fact that they look ridiculously small on this rig I have no issues with them what so ever. I take the beast off road occasionally and tow my quads into some tight spots and it has not missed a beat. We have mostly sand and mud here and this thing eats it up.
The only thing I can see me doing in terms of "upgrades" is when these tires wear out I'm gonna throw some 2" or 2 1/2" spacers in the front and put on some 35's.
I ordered this truck too and it felt like it took forever to get here!. Good luck with it.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey, PWJunkie, I too often subscribed to the "more / bigger is always better" philosophy; Hp, suspension travel, tires, boobs, whatever it may be.

BUT, as stated before, you really should take delivery of the truck, get used to it, and see what it's capabilities are stock before dumping a ton of money into it on top of the premium you have already paid, for a extremely capable stock rig. I know "stock" is usually a "bad" word, especially in extreme off road performance rigs, but this truck really does perform right off the lot.

I've had mine in extreme 'wheeling scenarios, towing, hauling and crawling in every terrain imaginable. Trick with learning the vehicle, is becoming familiar with it's operation; Lockers, Sway Bar Disco and when and how to "dumb down" or turn off the stability control features that constantly reset or kick in when going in and out of 4Hi/4Lo and at higher speeds without your control. It always "defaults" back to "dummy driver" mode when you shut off the key, exceed a certain speed limit or even go in and out of 4WD on the same section of trail.

My factory winch has pulled me, my loaded truck and trailer out of some quicksand with the bumper and spare tires on the ground!

*If more mathematical pulling power is needed, just run out more line, wrap it and then use the "shorter" end to do the work, then rewind the "excess" after, if you feel the performance is being degraded due to the gear ratio change due to excess wraps. ***Just be careful not to tug the factory cable off of the spool - it is very easy to do, and a real ***** to get back on!!!***

Search my screen name for my pic threads in the PW specific section, or the "Bent, Scratched or Stuck" section or the "Show us your 4th Gen" thread for evidence of what can be done with a bone-stock rig.

Other than that, if you have a willing wife, credit rating and desire to mod-up, have at it! I suppose it won't hurt, but on a financial note, you probably should have just picked up a 6.4 2500 4WD if you were going to remove all the Power Wagon specific factory upgraded parts and swap on aftermarket replacement goodies right from the start. But, that is just me talking, having "been there, done that" so many times before myself. On occasion, a rig comes along that just WORKS from the factory, and any tinkering done will just continue to introduce more problems and be a money pit down the road. THIS is one of those trucks. Thus, I keep it stock and save all my "Mod" money for fuel... it gets me out to places I've never imagined.... and back again, all under it's own power.

Good luck. And DO post pics in your other "waiting" thread when it finally comes in!

:favorites13:

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pwjunkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Great advice. All I have decided to do at this point is install a winch bumper full guard in front, add my 16.5 winch, and put a shell on. Once I run the tires down I may replace them with 35"s but I will see how it goes first. Hey thanks for getting back and the great tips.

OH, forgot to mention I just heard yesterday that my truck is due to arrive at the dealer Jan. 1. Its built and outside the factory waiting to catch a train. I placed the order Nov. 19, 2014.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Nice! Looking forward to seeing this... I have my eye on a 2012 Laramie but I really want a diesel. The mpg is whats really stopping me, I know dont buy a truck for mpg but its something to consider at times. PW are so sick

OP
OP
P

pwjunkie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
I totally understand the mpg issue. This PW also serves as my work truck for my business and other work/home related duties where I need a work horse and the off-road capability. And besides, the mpg is nearly the same as I am getting for my '03 Tacoma for the past 14 years. I average about 13 in the city and 15 on the highway when the wind is to my back. Full load in the bed and a loaded trailer on the highway I get 10-12 mpg with the Tacoma.