Have you changed your diff oil yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I changed my rear diff. oil at 2368 kms. Changed it again at 7400 kms along with the front diff and T-case. Amsoil severe gear 75 w90 in the front and back, Amsoil Signature series multi veh. transmission oil in the T-case. You will be amazed at how dirty that rear diff gets. If you want to keep your truck for years without any problems I would highly recommend you do this. If you are just going to get rid of it in a couple of years then don't bother.
Transmission will be next.

OP
OP
D

Dave1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Approx. 4.2 l in the rear diff, 1.8 in the t case and about 2 l in the front.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope, I changed the whole diff when it failed at high speed due to the recall defect.... Dealer installed a new one a year ago :roflsquared: Trans two....
Thank God for a warranty... :roflsquared:

Txhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge PowerWagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I change the Diff oil,Transfer case,and Tranny fluid every 25k miles on all of my vehicles.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wasn't aware of this until recently but apparently a new ring and pinion goes through a breakin process in the first couple hundred miles and that's why the oil turns dark right away. ive been reading a lot about this and by most accounts you shouldn't tow anything heavy or put hard loads on the differential in the first 1000mi or so. change the fluid around 1000mi also. some reports have even mentioned only driving moderate highway speeds in this first 1000mi also. I don't believe the ram manual states any of this specifically but I think its kind of a unwritten rule that goes along with their breakin routine listed in the owners manual. 4k miles on mine and I plan to dump the oil soon as I get a chance and probly pull the cover to inspect the gears and clean out any excess metal shavings. almost right away I had to drive about 350 highway miles so hopefully nothing got overheated or damaged. youll want to do the same procedure in the front diff if you spend a lot of miles in 4x4

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dave1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I wasn't aware of this until recently but apparently a new ring and pinion goes through a breakin process in the first couple hundred miles and that's why the oil turns dark right away. ive been reading a lot about this and by most accounts you shouldn't tow anything heavy or put hard loads on the differential in the first 1000mi or so. change the fluid around 1000mi also. some reports have even mentioned only driving moderate highway speeds in this first 1000mi also. I don't believe the ram manual states any of this specifically but I think its kind of a unwritten rule that goes along with their breakin routine listed in the owners manual. 4k miles on mine and I plan to dump the oil soon as I get a chance and probly pull the cover to inspect the gears and clean out any excess metal shavings. almost right away I had to drive about 350 highway miles so hopefully nothing got overheated or damaged. youll want to do the same procedure in the front diff if you spend a lot of miles in 4x4

Bang on the money! I'm at about 11,000 km now and the rear diff is crystal clean. It takes those two first changes to clean everything out and then once a year should be good - depending upon of course what you are doing. As a side note, we changed the oil in my friends 2016 chev 1/2 ton at 1800 kms and it was black like diesel engine oil. Over-maintenance is the rule to keeping your vehicles running well and lasting. Let's face it, the manufacturers know that if you follow their guidelines the vehicle will make it until the warranty expires, but then what. Then it's your baby to fix and pay for, so by over-maintenance you will probably save a ton of money later on and won't be stuck on the side of the road or in the middle of a bog because something flew apart. Just my 2c.

Rev9fan1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Bang on the money! I'm at about 11,000 km now and the rear diff is crystal clean. It takes those two first changes to clean everything out and then once a year should be good - depending upon of course what you are doing. As a side note, we changed the oil in my friends 2016 chev 1/2 ton at 1800 kms and it was black like diesel engine oil. Over-maintenance is the rule to keeping your vehicles running well and lasting. Let's face it, the manufacturers know that if you follow their guidelines the vehicle will make it until the warranty expires, but then what. Then it's your baby to fix and pay for, so by over-maintenance you will probably save a ton of money later on and won't be stuck on the side of the road or in the middle of a bog because something flew apart. Just my 2c.

Agreed, they recommended my girls camaro to get the trans fluid changed at 100k and I said **** that and did the diff, and trans at 50k. But she doesn't beat on her car, since dodge is known for failing transmissions, my Power Wagon is getting them all done at 20k