I want the power wagon....but....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtoby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 1500
Engine
Eco Diesel
Ok guys, heres the deal

I currently have a 1500 Eco Diesel and its a fine truck. Decent pull, excellent interior and we all know the legendary MPG. There is only one problem, its boring. Its not a bad truck by any means, 40,000 miles and no issues but we all call it Grandpa for a reason. It's a stock truck and for that reason, it has about as much off road ability as my civic. Ok, ok, its not that bad but its very close.

For a little while there I thought the truck was sold so I hit the lots looking for a new truck. On the lot I was on was a gorgeous 2015 legendary power wagon. I stole the keys and hit the road, man I was impressed. Even though it was stock I felt like I owned the road. For such a big truck it was so smooth, the 6.4 hemi was a symphony to my ears. I found a construction site and this thing ate up the bumps, ruts and hills and asked for seconds. I realized I was falling in love faster than a 13 year old girl and went home. Its been a couple weeks and I still dont know what to do.

So I am here to ask you what you love and hate about the wagon. This would be a 2nd car for me, something to run to the mountains and hunt with, discover some mountain trails and some light towing. I dont need a 2500 truck (who really does?) but man its fun.

I could throw a lift and tires and other goodies on the ED for the difference but what do you guys think? Is the front axle, lockers and bigger truck worth it? Did you have to sell one of your kids for gas? Are the maintenance costs destroying your wallet? Let me know what you love and hate about your wagon!

Thanks guys,

JT

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Don't have a wagon but I think you'll be kicking yourself daily at the pump, my 6.4 gets 11-12mpg city, 16-17 highway stock and the wagon should be pretty close to that. I have standard 6.4 2500 so similar. I doubt many actually NEED a power wagon for its capacities, but the statement goes, "Why not?!?" If you don't mind worse mpg than you current truck but which a ton more capability out of the box, I'd say go for it.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not have the wallet my father does. His 2016 Laramie Power Wagon is a dream truck. We added the amp running boards and 35's Its a beast on the road, off the road, and everywhere in between. Its a tad stiffer than my 1500 but its a great truck. He ordered it loaded all the way. Hes put 40k on it since June last year. He averages 17mpg overall since he bought it.

If you can get one, get it!

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Don't have a wagon but I think you'll be kicking yourself daily at the pump, my 6.4 gets 11-12mpg city, 16-17 highway stock and the wagon should be pretty close to that. I have standard 6.4 2500 so similar. I doubt many actually NEED a power wagon for its capacities, but the statement goes, "Why not?!?" If you don't mind worse mpg than you current truck but which a ton more capability out of the box, I'd say go for it.

It's a 2nd car. Who cares about MPG.

To me, it sounds like the perfect vehicle for you. Mountain runs, camping, fishing, hunting etc, some of these places can be nasty.

I have a friend with a power wagon and he beats the **** out of it. It's his daily but it's never given him any issues.

I like the 2500 just cause it towers over a 1500. Plus, I like the front grill/bumper better on the 2500, the 1500s IMO look odd.

The aftermarket availability for the 2500 is also second to know when it comes to offroad. If you should ever want to upgrade, level, etc.. you have a variety of ways to do that.

The locker is a huge plus.

VicViper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power Wagon is legend...I equate it to buying a hellcat. If I had the means I'd buy one. On the other hand I am extremely satisfied with my 1 ton ST.

With the huge array of aftermarket gear you can get for a 4th Gen Heavy Duty, such as AEV parts or ARB parts...the power wagon now seems bloated to me.

I like that I can have a 28k to 30k base model truck and with a few grand of mods I'm already creeping in on PW territory, by all means the PW is a serious off roader...but I can't afford one lol.

So if you can afford it, buy it...you won't regret it...but if you have any doubts about the future of the economy...buy a lesser trim and build it up lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

PatinAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a PW. Had it a little over a year. This is my 3rd Ram 4x4, two previous were Gen 2 1500's. I absolutely love this current truck. I have loved them ever since that movie Twister with Bill Paxton. That truck saved the day!

Back in the day I could never afford a 2500 or the Off Road edition that was offered. Not so much for me now at this point in my life. I can have what I want. This Power Wagon has it all, looks, features, power, off roadedness, and towing for my toy hauler. I love jumping up into this thing every day. If you can do it, you won't be disappointed.

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Back in the day I could never afford a 2500 or the Off Road edition that was offered. Not so much for me now at this point in my life. I can have what I want. This Power Wagon has it all, looks, features, power, off roadedness, and towing for my toy hauler. I love jumping up into this thing every day. If you can do it, you won't be disappointed.

I have to agreed with this, I am coming from a 2015 F250, and am loving my PW, ride and power is some much better and when I get my TT I will be set, I just need to find the right TT for me and my PW.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
You could grab a 1500 in the trim you want and with the money saved really make it yours

Lift/exhaust/tuner/Wheels/tires/off road bumpers/Custom Audio

Could be a palit to paint however you choose and get a bit better gas mileage than the 6.4

The 5.7 with a tune is a lot of fun, just be sure to get the factory 3.92

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It's a 2nd car. Who cares about MPG.

To me, it sounds like the perfect vehicle for you. Mountain runs, camping, fishing, hunting etc, some of these places can be nasty.

I have a friend with a power wagon and he beats the **** out of it. It's his daily but it's never given him any issues.

I like the 2500 just cause it towers over a 1500. Plus, I like the front grill/bumper better on the 2500, the 1500s IMO look odd.

The aftermarket availability for the 2500 is also second to know when it comes to offroad. If you should ever want to upgrade, level, etc.. you have a variety of ways to do that.

The locker is a huge plus.

I only mentioned mpg since he praised the eco's mpg so much. Other than that I agree it's a great buy for him and his needs, if he can accept it won't return similar mpg. If he hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't bring it up but it sounds like that is one of his concerns. Personally, I don't buy a truck for mpg, or any car that matter.

MR MAYHEM

Reaction score
A neighbour of mine bought a brand new power wagon last summer. Gorgeous truck. He loved it. Here we are a year later... he's since traded it in (took a huge loss) on another new 2500.... BUT.... with the "big C" under the hood. His power wagon was a monster at the gas pumps. It's all about what YOU want. If they offered a power wagon with the cummins .... It would be in my driveway. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Streak

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 POWER WAGON & 1979 W150
Engine
6.4L HEMI & 440 Wedge
After having a 3500 w/Cummins and a 1500 w/5.7, the Power Wagon is best suited for my needs and wants. NO REGRETS!

Towjam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
"So I am here to ask you what you love and hate about the wagon. This would be a 2nd car for me, something to run to the mountains and hunt with, discover some mountain trails and some light towing. I dont need a 2500 truck (who really does?) but man its fun.

I could throw a lift and tires and other goodies on the ED for the difference but what do you guys think? Is the front axle, lockers and bigger truck worth it? Did you have to sell one of your kids for gas? Are the maintenance costs destroying your wallet? Let me know what you love and hate about your wagon!

Thanks guys,

JT

The PW is a serious vehicle, a mans vehicle. Do some research and look at the lineage. When you see it and you feel your ****** fluttering like a pigeon having a heart attack, then you know it's the one for you. If not buy a Toyota and hit curbs. The only thing I dislike about my wagon is the fact the motor is detuned from the factory but I'm working on that. As far as selling my kids for gas, I wish I could. I got a lazy 15yr old that does nothing except eat all my food and complain. I'll let her go cheap! I'll also throw in the wife for free. Just kidding. If you can afford a PW than you should be able to afford the gas, proper maintenance, supercharger, exhaust ect. ha ha. The Power Wagon is a beast and isn't cheap like a chevy. I also love the fact that I can hook up to a Ford Raptor and drag it all around town, even when it's pulling back. I then can lock both differentials, disconnect the front sway bar and pull that POS off-road and leave it in a ditch. Bottom line is that the PW is the most capable off road production truck made. Not sure what the Erectile Dysfunction truck your talking about but go ahead and dump a ton of money into it and when you get in trouble hopefully a Power Wagon will be around to help you out.