Mission to de-chrome my PW ALMOST COMPLETE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Riskwriter101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I Bought the truck about 5 months ago. I hate shiny chrome cars and I've been de-chroming ever since. I line-x'ed the bumpers (and bed) removed the shiny HEMI badges, and painted the grille the same color as the truck. I think I'm going to power coat the stock wheel flat black. Can't decide if I should powder-coat or just go with something like a Method wheel? Anyone powder coated the stock wheels? If so, how do the stock wheels, coated look does it throw them out of balance?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 114

MoparMulisha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks great! Did the same thing with my old truck but unfortunately chrome goes with the current ride so I'm leaving it and adding minimal chrome accents to go with what's there.

I honestly like the look of those stock wheels and think they would look good. You could always PlastiDip them to see what they look like and if you don't like them you could just peel it off.

OP
OP
Riskwriter101

Riskwriter101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looks great! Did the same thing with my old truck but unfortunately chrome goes with the current ride so I'm leaving it and adding minimal chrome accents to go with what's there.

I honestly like the look of those stock wheels and think they would look good. You could always PlastiDip them to see what they look like and if you don't like them you could just peel it off.

Thanks for the compliment!
That's actually a great idea. Plastidip is cool stuff because it's durable and comes in different colors. I wonder how well it would hold up on wheels?

MoparMulisha

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the compliment!
That's actually a great idea. Plastidip is cool stuff because it's durable and comes in different colors. I wonder how well it would hold up on tires?

It actually holds up pretty well on rims haha don't know about tires.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow. Looks very different from my truck - which is the only one I've ever seen that has the same paint scheme as my own.

Not sure about the wheels. The "murdered out" look is nice on some things but I have to say I like a little shine off the stock Aluminum wheels.

Though, I should have coated mine with something when the truck was brand spanking new. I'm collecting up all sorts of scratches, "desert pin striping" and have even managed to scratch the faces of a couple wheels spinning in deep, sandy-rocky soil when digging out under power from being buried in up to the pumkins.

Gtelli87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Hey RiskWriter, I am also looking to de-chrome my Power Wagon. Did you get the bumpers sandblasted in order for the Line-X to stick? Also, about how much does it cost for both bumpers to get line-x'd if you don't mind me asking. I live in a small town and know they always overcharge so I need an idea for what I should pay.

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Wow. Looks very different from my truck - which is the only one I've ever seen that has the same paint scheme as my own.

Not sure about the wheels. The "murdered out" look is nice on some things but I have to say I like a little shine off the stock Aluminum wheels.

Though, I should have coated mine with something when the truck was brand spanking new. I'm collecting up all sorts of scratches, "desert pin striping" and have even managed to scratch the faces of a couple wheels spinning in deep, sandy-rocky soil when digging out under power from being buried in up to the pumkins.

I am a child of the 60's, 70's, 80's and I am a chrome guy. These blacked out/de-chromed vehicles do nothing for me. Looks fairly good on trucks I will admit, on cars I am no fan.

OP's truck looks really good because it has other stuff done besides just "blacked out".

Lastly, what type of coating would you use on the wheels?

OP
OP
Riskwriter101

Riskwriter101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey RiskWriter, I am also looking to de-chrome my Power Wagon. Did you get the bumpers sandblasted in order for the Line-X to stick? Also, about how much does it cost for both bumpers to get line-x'd if you don't mind me asking. I live in a small town and know they always overcharge so I need an idea for what I should pay.

I paid about $700 for both Bumpers and the bed to be Line-X'd. I'm not sure if they sandblasted before they applied, but the Line-X really sticks well ... Tough stuff.

smykowski

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 SLT
Engine
6.7L Cummins
sweet truck, I love the power wagon! Not being too critical, but for $700, why didn't you just get your bumpers powder coated? I've seen powder coated parts take a beating from rocks and they're more or less rinsed off to look new again. Just curious is all