New Member / Owner Observations. Long Post.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hello everybody!

Purchased a brand spanking new 2013 PowerWagon about six seeks ago now. I was shocked to find one where I was living - So Cal's High Desert (Antelope Valley) as I had searched and searched and only found two in inventory up in Northern Idaho.

This one had just rolled off the transporter and was not even in dealer inventory yet. One look, and I had to have it! I knew what it was, but didn't think I could afford it with a window sticker of $51k. Well, I have been saving 25 years for my "Retirement Truck" and with generous discounts, and convincing the dealer that the truck was and "oddity" and would sit there due to it not being a Diesel, I made it mine!

Right truck, right place, right time. Right color (not that it mattered much) but it was meant to be.

First four weeks was spent moving me and my family out to the AZ / UT border. Minimal time for break in, it has logged 5k miles in the last six weeks. Four of those probably running back and forth to the new homestead out in the sticks with the cab and bed loaded, towing my dual axle box trailer full of my life's crap. All in 117+ deg through Baker, Vegas and on up past St. George over towards Lake Powell in the middle of a record setting heat wave.

Doing so, I was amazed at the trucks quiet, plush ride (my last Dodge 2500 X-Cab, 4x4 with the V-10 rode like a covered wagon!). Mileage was decent at 13 or so running loaded at freeway speeds in heat and head winds.

The fit, finish and amazing blend of old and new tech in both the drivetrain and interior electronics (NAV/Sat Radio, etc) was the perfect combo of old and new. Touch, knobs or steering wheel controls, and the instruments in either the old analog gauge set up, or any one of the amazing, informative and functional display screen options available on the dash or center console screens was JUST RIGHT.

Arriving at my new home, I couldn't wait to try out the off road capability and explore the incredible truck that I just bought and in what a place; right in the center of the "great parks" with the Coral Pink Dunes, Slick Rock trials, endless miles of washboard roads all leading to places like Zion, Bryce, either Rim of the Grand Canyon and even dumping the boat and camping on the undeveloped shores of Lake Powell. Yup, I am living the dream. Finally. I put in enough years doing the LA Grind, day to day. I more than earned it.

In regards to the truck, in the short time I've owned it, it has done laps at the infamous Willow Springs Raceway, for fun. As an instructor / racer, I was able to sneak in for laps on both "The Streets" course and 'Big Willow' to chase down some parade lapping Corvettes! They sure were surprised. Lol.

It seems a bit "soft" on the bottom end with the 5.7, but the 6 speed Auto always keeps it pulling. I guess I just need to get used to it running along at higher RPM's while pulling long grades loaded up. It never complained, and the trans and water temps never climbed, even in the record heat. The oil temps did come up about ten degrees on the longest pulls, but that is nothing.

Off road, I found the 4.56's work well. Though in DEEP sand, it was working to move this 6900 lbs around in 4-Hi. 4-Lo, it would just dig holes, until I aired down. Once the tires are down around the mid 20 psi range, it becomes a whole new animal. It floats over powder sand and rides like a Cadillac. It still seems to prefer open / LSD and 4-Hi in sand. On rocky steep climbs, 4-Lo is magic. One observation (concern ?) is that it takes quite a long time for the locker lights to go solid. Though, even flashing, it feels as though it is working. Perhaps there is some trick to quick, solid, confident locker engagement (?)

The truck makes short work of the few muddy spots I've encountered so far (I've luckily avoided this seasons insane Flash Floods, though have come close to getting stuck out on the "wrong side" of a stream crossing. But I am learning the area, how to read the sky, the terrain and the truck.

One other odd note, is that I wish I could run with the swaybar disconnected in 2WD, such as on long dirt roads or hard pack where 4WD is a waste. Then again, despite the excellent action of the factory rear LSD, I wish I could lock the diffs in 4Hi as well. But, liability concerns and dummies out there making bad warranty claims for breakage doing donuts on pavement all locked up I suppose have made things the way they are.

In regards to the BFG A/T's, I thought I would want an immediate swap to M/T's , but these work so well, and ride so smooth, I don't know that I would switch out when the time comes. Sure, they have the perfect sized knobs that they have the amazing ability to grab and pick up gravel and smaller rock and hang on to it right up until you get running down the pavement at higher speeds, where it gets fired up in the wheelwells, down the under side of the truck like it was fired from a shot gun. Why can't they leave the gravel in my driveway where it belongs? Hahhaaa.

I also hear these tires are prone to chunking in hard off road use, and odd uneven wear on the pavement, but I haven't experienced any of that yet. For Three Ply Tough puncture resistant tires that run high psi, they do well. Though after spending what seems like hours airing them down, then pumping them back up, I have settled in on leaving them down in the low 40's unless I am loaded up, or running a long distance at highway speeds.

The only other odd thing; The dealer "gave" me three free oil changes. However, being far from any dealership, and with my oil life meter running low, I decided it was long overdue to get rid of the factory oil and filter. As a side note, it seemed to burn about 3/4 of a quart in 4k miles during break in. But that was rolling right off the lot and going to work. Back to the oil change; I purchased a "regular" large V-8 sized filter from the local parts shop as per the filter catalog, along with some fresh Royal Purple fluid. Why not spoil it with some top of the line oil and extend my service intervals at the same time? Anywhooo, by the time I drained the oil I discovered that on the '13 models, they have switched from a "normal" filter, to a small "compact car" sized unit! After wrestling it off, I had no choice other than to empty it and re-intall the silly thing. I even went back to the parts counter, and no one has a listing for the new, smaller filter. So, for now, it is still on the truck, though now filtering fresh fluids. I guess I need to call a dealer parts counter and see what number it is. Not sure of what the logic is, in placing a small filter on a full sized, hard working truck.

I did add a kick ass "Tough Country" brush guard / push bar. It looks amazing, and gives me some confidence that I won't lose my grill or fancy new headlamps to a deer or run away shopping kart.

It does bug me that I did not get a full bed liner, as each scratch in the bed brings me back to the purchase price. But, it IS a truck. So I use it.

Here's looking forward to a long, happy life.

I will post up pics soon. I just got registered. Sorry for the lengthy post. Just thought I would share my thoughts, as it seems many ask the same questions and wonder what ownership of one of these amazing trucks would be like. So, I will continue to tell it like it is.

I am glad I didn't spend the big money on my other choice... the 6.2L Raptor Crew Cab. I am confident I got the right truck.

OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I will put this one up for starters.

The Power Wagon, right off the lot up at Willow Springs Raceway.

Then, my '07 Dodge 1500 4x4 Sport with the 5.7, tow package, etc.
Nearing 100k miles, it's been a damn fine vehicle.

More to follow...:naughty:

Attachments

• PowerWagon.jpg
    PowerWagon.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Utah8.jpg
    Utah8.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Utah11.jpg
    Utah11.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 36
  • ZionAA.jpg
    ZionAA.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 34

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
awesome, congats on the new truck

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
Welcome and congrats on the new purchase. It looks awesome! Nice write-up too.

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome and congrats!!

smiley87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Welcome and I Love it. My dream truck

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
It's always nice to hear how much someone loves a vehicle in tere first post
Often times post like this are rants of how awful the vehicle is, often times people don't take the time to compliment

I hope your enjoyment lasts for many years to come

OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Lake Powell's Lone Rock Beach T-Storm at Dawn

Thanks Everybody!

I am really lucky to be here at Lake Powell, near some amazing 'wheeling spots and incredible scenery here around the Grand Canyon / National Parks like Zion, etc.

I will definitely be including more info / reports and lots of pics!

New Brush Guard Installed!

:grd:

Attachments

• 0817130715.jpg
    0817130715.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 0817130716.jpg
    0817130716.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like you're really enjoying that new Power Wagon!
I can't wait to get my 2500 off the paved roads. Soon enough...

As for the oil filter, I found the same issue as you, yes the larger 'truck' filter screwed on without issue, the gasket lines up perfectly and screws on just fine.

It gets CLOSE to the Lower Rad hose, but doesn't touch it. I think it's fine.
Has been on for over 500 miles w/o issue.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
:wave: Welcome to the RF! Nice looking Power Wagon!

Probably a good idea to evacuate from CA for your retirement--10% income tax is confiscation!

OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks for the Filter info! The auto search machine at the O'Reilly Auto Parts spot in town lists Bosch as the only filter number specifically for the '13 and up trucks. Of course, they were all sold out of them. :whymewhyme:

It is good to know the previous full sized "V-8" filter will fit, as I prefer the extra capacity in both fluid and filter surface area. I may go back and spin one on to see if it rubs my lines.

I just hate to lose almost a quart of fresh high dollar oil in the process. But, the confidence of knowing a new filter is on there seems worth it. Especially on it's first "break in" filter.

If I can remember the Bosch P/N, I may just go and order a few up on line to have in stock for future use.

Just to be clear, is the one you installed the same as a Mopar Brand MO-899? Doubt you got the Mopar one, but maybe post up the Brand and PN on yours, so I can cross-reference it.

OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Probably a good idea to evacuate from CA for your retirement--10% income tax is confiscation!

Not just that, but being able to register my vehicles in AZ has already saved me a ton of money in registration fees and insurance alone!

Plus, I brought over my modded up '03 Mustang Cobra, and they didn't even ask for an inspection or anything. Being out of a SMOG inspection State / County is incredible relief, as the car would never pass with the modded Supercharger and all the other go-fast goodies.

AZ title transfers require a Notary to approve the signatures, but that is the only one drawback from going from CA to AZ.

Hell, I am so used to the Ultra Strict CA codes and fees... when I asked about registering a Side by Side or Quad for street us (as I saw a bunch of them running around town that blew my mind) the lady said "we just hand you a checklist for lighting, horn and mirrors. You sign it, and we don't care to see it. What happens out on the highway is up to you and the LEO's".

They also don't charge penalties for over due registration or expired tags through ADOT. Again, she said "you simply pay for what year and what level of registration you want -ohv-on highway,etc-, if you decide not to register it that year, or it expires, there are no fees. Just pay it back up when you choose to use it again". Incredible (un)Common Sense in action. I can't believe it. The wifey had lost the registration renewal on our '98 RV a year or two ago. Discovered the bad tags on it a few months later when I went to go use it again. To make things current, CA hit me with the original insanely high reg fee, plus a doubled up penalty for being late that totaled well over $600! Insane.

Unfortunately, I bought the truck in CA. and on top of sales tax and all the other fees, I also paid just over $600 for it's first year registration. :flame: So, for now, I will run the CA plates to get my year's worth out of them, and then go UT or AZ this time next year.

OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Coral Pink Sand Dune pics just to keep people from getting bored with our Oil Filer / Registration chatter. :naughty:

Attachments

• Coral2.jpg
    Coral2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Coral3.jpg
    Coral3.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Coral5.jpg
    Coral5.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 21

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the Filter info! The auto search machine at the O'Reilly Auto Parts spot in town lists Bosch as the only filter number specifically for the '13 and up trucks. Of course, they were all sold out of them. :whymewhyme:

It is good to know the previous full sized "V-8" filter will fit, as I prefer the extra capacity in both fluid and filter surface area. I may go back and spin one on to see if it rubs my lines.

I just hate to lose almost a quart of fresh high dollar oil in the process. But, the confidence of knowing a new filter is on there seems worth it. Especially on it's first "break in" filter.

If I can remember the Bosch P/N, I may just go and order a few up on line to have in stock for future use.

Just to be clear, is the one you installed the same as a Mopar Brand MO-899? Doubt you got the Mopar one, but maybe post up the Brand and PN on yours, so I can cross-reference it.

I used the Napa Gold 7899. I can't find anything with that Mopar # you've got there in any cross references.

OP
OP
Brakelate

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah, I found it strange for them to carry an actual Mopar line of filters. I grabbed it after the front desk's computer reference recommended it for Pre-13 model years of the same motor. Up front, they had no listings yet for a 2013 model.

I usually wouldn't pay just for the name, but since it was it's first fluid change, I wanted it to stay as "factory" as possible just in case there was some One-In-A-Million engine problem and I had to take it in for warranty work. Didn't want them flipping for seeing a Wix on there or something, even though it is as good, if not better a filter than the one I would be removing.

I would gamble, that due to the 7899 being close to the 899 on the other filter that they are the same. Most brands use similar numbers, but just put their own first few digits or letters in the part number. But that is a loose rule.

It looks to be the same size as the FL-1 or PH8A's that Fords would use.