New Power Wagon Owner Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I just bought a 2012 Power Wagon with 53k miles and I have a couple questions. I'm going to primarily be using this in Baja as a surf rig so it'll be spending a lot of time in the sand:

1) can you only lock the rear and front diffs when in four low or can you do it in four high as well
2) is the top speed with front and rear diff lock on 25mph?
3) can you lock just the rear in 4 hi?
4)any problems that are specific to this truck i should be watching out for and possibly modifying?

MitchPeder7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a '14 so I'm assuming it's the same locker restrictionsare the same as mine.
Both lockers are only in 4lo
Sway bar is 4hi and 4lo
Sway bar reconnects at 25kms a hour (not sure what that is in mph)
Locker bypass kits are available for $300 on the forums (not sure if it's this one or pw registry) this allows lockers at any time with no speed restrictions (also easy to wreak them so be careful if you go this way)

Sent while I'm killing time at work

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I used to have a defender 110 so i would lock the diffs and could do 40 or 50 on the beach. why is it setup to go so slow with the diffs locks?

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
also do i want to turn off the traction control when doing any sand or much off roading down there?

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
when in 4 hi or low, push and hold the traction button until the EVIC says disabled

but even then...it's still not "completely" disabled

you can pull one of the fuses but that will light-up your dash warning lights, check engine light and others

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I haven't got it myself yet because I just have mostly mud/muskeg here so 4lo is ok.
But yes, it seems like it'd be great in sand!

looks like most of the threads for people who make them are way back in 2012 though

MitchPeder7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a more current one somewhere. He was just shipping a month or two ago

Sent while I'm killing time at work

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
There are no speed restrictions associated with the lockers. The 19 mph cap is for the swaybar disco. Swaybar disco is available in 4HI and 4LO, lockers are only available in 4LO. Read your manual, bro. It's all in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
There are no speed restrictions associated with the lockers. The 19 mph cap is for the swaybar disco. Swaybar disco is available in 4HI and 4LO, lockers are only available in 4LO. Read your manual, bro. It's all in there.

Thanks bud. I still would like to have the lockers in 4 hi as I don't think you really need 4 lot if you're on then beach

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Thanks bud. I still would like to have the lockers in 4 hi as I don't think you really need 4 lot if you're on then beach

The bypass kits can be found in the "for sale" section of the Power Wagon Registry forum. There is one guy that makes them, and it's a side project for him so you may have to wait to get one. You can also hard wire the lockers to new switches.

I don't have any first-hand experience with either option, since I don't have a need to lock up in 4HI.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Well, some of you are half right, half wrong and half it won't matter.

Swaybar will reconnect at 19 mph 4/lo 4/hi.

Lockers will disconnect at 19 mph, but are only available in 4lo.

That being said, the PW's come with a great, tight, always functioning "Limited Slip" rear Differential that makes running 'locked up' in 90% of high speed sand situations pointless. Actually, unless really buried in deep, where you would want 4-lo, the lockers make it more difficult to run on sand than just running open diffs. This, as with the front unlocked, and the rear utilizing it's transparent Limited Slip Differential, it seems more inclined to 'float' on the sand and not 'break the upper crust or 'skin' of the sand's surface, as it does when 'locked up'.

4-Hi, just aired down, the Power Wagon is a sand beast! (Check around, I just did some tire testing and Dune running and put up some new videos on my youtube channel. I will provide links in here (PW-specific section, and in the Pic/Vids area). .

4-Lo is too low, for other than starting out already buried to damn near your hubs. It just churns big holes.

Trick is, to remember to not just hit the Traction Control button once (which kills T/C in 4-hi), but hold it down for about 5 seconds straight, so the T/C AND Stability Control Programs shut down. This allows full 'fun' mode, and will allow you to get around everywhere, without the truck fighting it's own internal safety (liability) programming.

*Just remember; With every re-start, or every time you pull that lever out of 4 Hi, you will have to go through the same process, as it always 'defaults' by returning to all the 'nannies' on. Most people don't know that, and can't figure out why these 'should be' highly capable trucks can't go anywhere. Same with my wife's Rubicon.

People get stuck in Ice, Snow and Sand just sitting there, because the T/C is preventing any of the needed wheel spin to get rolling. It also 'clamps down' once rolling, with these systems left on, preventing you from gaining any forward momentum or "steering with the rear" wheels as needed, or for fun.

SO: Air Down! Don't be afraid.
Then: 4Hi - hold the T/C button for 5+ seconds straight to shut ALL the electronic aids (handicaps) off. Let the rear Limited Slip do it's thing, and the truck WILL go to work. Totally different animal.

Then go for it!

Save the super low pressures , 4-Lo and Lockers for when totally buried, or steady-rate pulling or recovering other stuck vehicles, like RV's, trucks with trailers or when the sand is damp and you have the traction available - and it is really needed.